I've decided to dig a hole

CleverNickname

2 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

That's probably why they aren't on there.  We have another well on our property that was done in the early 1990s that isn't logged.  I guess the state didn't collect all the permits and well data prior to around 2000.

Yeah, the well at my parents' house, likely dug in 1957 when the house was built and then deepened in the 1990s after someone started irrigating crops down the road, isn't on there either.

On 2/5/2024 at 1:14 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I guess the state didn't collect all the permits and well data prior to around 2000.

Depends on the area. If there is no groundwater conservation district you can drill all you want with no paperwork. GCD's are like HOA's. A giant pita.

I'm alive. Barely. It's been rain in the forecast each weekend and I'm on what feels like day 21 of rsv/cold/flu/covid. And now begins spring sport weekend season, so time is a bit more scarce. On top of that, big wind blew off half my tree house roof, and I need to get new metal panels up. Sigh. 

12 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

... I'm on what feels like day 21 of rsv/cold/flu/covid.

Have you seen a physician? Whether you have health insurance may factor into this, but I would urge you to get that checked out if you're not improving. While cough and fatigue can take a couple of weeks to subside, especially with URI, it wouldn't hurt to have a doctor take a look and rule out a secondary infection etc. I'm not a doctor, but am the queen of developing secondary illnesses due to a weaker immune system. Learned that the hard way and it's much more $$ in the long run. Take care of yourself!

Pulled out the 8ft wood ladder. Too short on the deep end. Put a folding extension ladder. Got about 28 buckets out of the "shallow side"

20240219_124701.thumb.jpg.c79121d53997fe1a8cc428d4c38c2703.jpg

My buckets:

20240219_114813.thumb.jpg.08c4a20bb2b880fe422b924739529808.jpg

20240219_124748.thumb.jpg.ca147cd177c3b838a277e70fadbc1c04.jpg

So I'm about 11' even across the bottom. Next time I'll bring up some 2x10s for side lagging. It's time. Hoping to score a used 20 ft ladder. Might save the lagging for the heat of the summer, and try to get to 13' across before it gets too scorching. 

• Like 3

@CleverNickname, call around to the pawn shops on 183.  I think there are maybe 3 within reasonable distance from you.

Also, have you considered maybe a metal cap for the hole?  Keep rain out (I don't know what your current cover is like)... & what are you doing for overall "attractive nuisance" issues re: kids?

• 4 weeks later...

Not really. Well, I did find a used 21' ladder so that should hold for a while. I gotta build a 10x20 shed roof at la Casita. This weekend looks to be soggy, so I'm not sure if I will get up there. Did Big Bend / McDonald star party / Balmorhea for Spring Break.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, CleverNickname said:

Not really. Well, I did find a used 21' ladder so that should hold for a while. I gotta build a 10x20 shed roof at la Casita. This weekend looks to be soggy, so I'm not sure if I will get up there. Did Big Bend / McDonald star party / Balmorhea for Spring Break.

You DO know I have plenty of metal roof panels that would prob. fit your needs.  No charge, you come & get (78620).

On 3/15/2024 at 3:00 PM, deft said:

How close is that to balanced rock?

Probably about 8 miles west toward Terlingua. You park on a little pullout next to a bridge over a wash and just follow the drainage. It's in the Parent hiking guide, but not on the park website. I think you could also come at it from Croton Springs, but you'd probably want a map and GPS for that. It's open desert, but damn some other Big Bend hikes can get crowded and sometimes a man just needs to stop and piss.