2017-18 Dallas Mavericks: Bombing for Bamba

RexWilson

3 hours ago, Post Oak said:

Kevin Arnovitz said he thinks they should use their cap space to absorb contracts to get assets.  

I think thats what i would prefer.  Keep your powder dry.  Obviously thats not going to happen but i think it would be the prudent thing

Did he throw any names out?

28 minutes ago, RexWilson said:

Will the Clippers have enough cap room if they let DAJ opt out and renounce all other holds to be a player for PG or Lebron?

No.... they'd have to still shed some salary.  However, they could package some things to try and get below the tax line.  They have a ton of smaller, mid class expiring deals that teams may be able to stomach at the deadline like Boban, Wes Johnson, Dekker, Gortat, etc.... Seems like they just don't see any value in Wes Mathews.  Hard to blame them.

This team owes Dirk some sort of post retirement lifetime job paying him to do nothing. He has given up so much to help this team.
If we can get to 30 mil, thats the offer to Capela imo.

Absolutely crazy world when Capela is a $30M/year player

Perfect fucking deal. It’s what you would have got if you traded for him and now you got a season for a “trial period” to see if it works out. 

Not stuck with him for multiple years at Max money and they’ll have tons of cap space if it doenst work out. Heck he and Wes with exporters allows them possibly be active at the trad deadline with teams wanting to shed cap for next offseason and a much better FA crop. 

Not really seeing the downside except the loss of cap space this year(but not being long term helps) 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

Weird deal imo.  Who the fuck were the negotiating against.  

He makes them better but just giving him 80 percent of your cap doesnt seem wise to me

Who else they signing this offseason though?  Other than RFA who they probably won’t get, he’s probably the best option. 

If the trade had worked out it would have been better but this a one year deal and he comes off the books next year if it doesn’t work. 

On 6/29/2018 at 8:07 PM, RexWilson said:

This team owes Dirk some sort of post retirement lifetime job paying him to do nothing. He has given up so much to help this team.

If we can get to 30 mil, thats the offer to Capela imo.

I'd be shocked if there wasn't already a handshake deal for some small amount of equity in the team after he retires.

12 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

What am I missing here? Why were we not all over offering Curry that amount? That is a no brainer.

It's a VERY player friendly deal for a guy that didn't play any basketball last year. They are basically giving him $2.5mm next year and allowing him to opt out if he has a good year. Next off-season there will be a ton of teams with money to spend. But even if he doesn't play well next year, he's still guaranteed about $3mmish because he has the player option. The staff just might not have been comfortable giving him that much. 

Edited by CBT

Hopefully optimistic on Spaulding. Looked natural hitting that 3.  Im about 2 games from putting him as untouchable in a Giannis trade.

Ha just kidding. We're not gonna trade for Giannis.  Hes gonna sign here to play with Kostas

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...