IG Horowitz report on Clinton email due soon

Ragnarok

41 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

Legislation isn't the only method by which the government can act. Trump not only leveraged his political base against the NFL, he indicated that he'd use government action against the NFL if it didn't do something to stop its employees.  For example, 

Those kinds of implied threats from the president are extremely chilling to private conduct, given the resources at the president's disposal. 

It's also ridiculous that the NFL operates as a non-profit 501 c while paying Goodell $30 million a year.  What are you against raising taxes on the rich?

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

It's also ridiculous that the NFL operates as a non-profit 501 c while paying Goodell $30 million a year.  What are you against raising taxes on the rich?

My position is not about the merits of the suggested policy, but rather the president using policy threats as a means to chill or compel private speech. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, TornACL said:

I love what a low bar we set. 

When I say Trump is a fascist, you actually have to defend that statement. Hey, other people are MORE fascist so it's ok. Hey, at least he's not killing journalists. Oh, sweet. In that case, carry on then! 

How would people react if I said Reagan was a fascist? They'd just dismiss it as preposterous trolling. They wouldn't feel the need to craft an impassioned defense. 

Pretty telling. Sad! 

By the way, I am with you on being opposed to government regulation. I wish what you say were true, but sadly the Republicans have become just as legislation happy as their counterparts. I suspect it's because they are weak and ineffectual leaders, like the president. 

i don't think you know what a fascist is.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

10 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Let's not forget what this is really about. Trump has had a personal vendetta against the NFL since 1985.

The thing about Trump's so called policy is that it's motivated entirely by personal motivators. The question is not "is this good for America?" it's "what feels good to Trump?" 

He just uses the flag, the anthem, xenophobia, and partisanism to whip his non thinking base into support for his personal goals. 

This also explains all the countless petty, exhausting beefs with Bezos, et al. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

i don't think you know what a fascist is.

Military parades

suppression of the press

calling to jail political opponents

kid concentration camps

silencing political opposition through intimidation

claims of being above the law through self pardon

not standing to clap or salute the flag equals treason

using political power to influence private businesses

unilaterly banning entire groups of based on religion 

Do you know what fascism is? 

• Like 5

Military parades--No

suppression of the press---You don't know what suppression of the press is.  Acknowledging and treating them as the mouthpiece for the democrat party that they are is not suppression.

calling to jail political opponents--like selectively enforcing the law against political opponents who lie to the FBI.  Jail for Flynn for an inconsequential lie; immunity for Cheryl Mills and Paul Combetta who told verifiable lies of great consequence

kid concentration camps-Nonsense

silencing political opposition through intimidation--Like using the IRS against political opponents

claims of being above the law through self pardon--Fighting back against a coup attempt

not standing to clap or salute the flag equals treason-Nonsense

using political power to influence private businesses-Like retroactively rewriting bankruptcy law to reward political allies and punish enemies; taking away car distributorships from Republican donors

unilaterly banning entire groups of based on religion-applying common sense to immigration law. Nobody has the right to immigrate.  When Islam quits treating 50% of it's adherents as 2nd class citizens, and preaching jihad against the West, nobody will treat them any differently.  Would you be for immigration of a religion that treated blacks the way Islam treats women?

Edited by Ragnarok
  • Like 3
  • Fuck You 4

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

Military parades--No

suppression of the press---You don't know what suppression of the press is.  Acknowledging and treating them as the mouthpiece for the democrat party that they are is not suppression.

calling to jail political opponents--like selectively enforcing the law against political opponents who lie to the FBI.  Jail for Flynn for an inconsequentially lie; immunity for Cheryl Mills and Paul Combetta who told verifiable lies of great consequence

silencing political opposition through intimidation--Like using the IRS against political opponents

claims of being above the law through self pardon--Fighting back against a coup attempt

using political power to influence private businesses-Like retroactively rewriting bankruptcy law to reward political allies and punish enemies; taking away car distributorships from Republican donors

unilaterly banning entire groups of based on religion-applying common sense to immigration law. Nobody has the right to immigrate.  When Islam quits treating 50% of it's adherents as 2nd class citizens, and preaching jihad against the West, nobody will treat them any differently.  Would you be for immigration of a religion that treated blacks the way Islam treats women?

Congratulations on literally using many of the talking points that fascists use to defend being fascist. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TornACL said:

Congratulations on literally using many of the talking points that fascists use to defend being fascist. 

Would you be for or against immigration for the adherents of a religion that treated blacks or Hispanics the way Islam treats women? 

• Fuck You 1

12 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Would you be for or against immigration for the adherents of a religion that treated blacks or Hispanics the way Islam treats women? 

I would be firmly opposed to any immigration policy that contemplates an applicant's religion. Particularly if that policy is drafted by someone who isn't worldly or educated enough to understand that Islam, like Christianity, is not monolithic. 

1 minute ago, TornACL said:

I would be firmly opposed to any immigration policy that contemplates an applicant's religion. Particularly if that policy is drafted by someone who isn't worldly or educated enough to understand that Islam, like Christianity, is not monolithic. 

Nah man all those Arabs are exactly the same. They all wanna commit jihad. Racist in the oval shoulda told ya

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

Nah man all those Arabs are exactly the same. They all wanna commit jihad. Racist in the oval shoulda told ya

Thank goodness for Trump who can distill simple worldviews for simple minds. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I don't know, until we ban conservative US churches from demanding that wives submit to their husbands I'm not sure you really have a point.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Well, at least you are honest and upfront about your racism.

I think you're having a little bit of trouble following the conversation. Shall I draw you a picture in crayon, to present my argument at your level? 

No, no, it's quite clear. You are for bringing in the adherents of a religion that discriminates against blacks and hispanics.  Just like you are for bringing in Muslims, regardless of how the religion treats women.   Instead of protesting a world where women have no rights, the left celebrates the boot on their throat, by backing events like World Hijab day, where woman show their solidarity for oppression by wearing the symbol of that oppression. 

Edited by Ragnarok

It's not like we have to guess what life is like under a nation founded with conservative Christian values.  And it's not like we have to guess what life is like in Muslim majority nations, where abuse and oppression of women is widespread.  It takes a special kind of stupid to equate the two.

11 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

It's not like we have to guess what life is like under a nation founded with conservative Christian values.  And it's not like we have to guess what life is like in Muslim majority nations, where abuse and oppression of women is widespread.  It takes a special kind of stupid to equate the two.

Speaking of special kinds of stupid, it's not like we have to dig too deep to understand the difference between extreme fundamentalist religious perspectives and those of the majority. 

Guys, Ragnarok is just misunderstood. He has a very strong passion for women and their rights! That is why he doesn’t like Muslims!

It definitely is not because he is xenophobic!

Ragnarok has been very consistent with women’s rights. He was especially vocal against having a confessed sexual predator in the White House. He is strong pro-choice! He was disgusted by Trump’s sexualization of his daughter and his bullying of women on twitter. 

Like I said, he hates Muslims because he respects women, not because he is xenophobic.

Edited by GW Hayduke
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

Yep. It's pretty easy to pick up a history book and read all about what it was really like for non-white, non-male citizens. 

3 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Military parades--No

calling to jail political opponents--like selectively enforcing the law against political opponents who lie to the FBI.  Jail for Flynn for an inconsequential lie; immunity for Cheryl Mills and Paul Combetta who told verifiable lies of great consequence

You are an idiot.

• Like 1

Just now, SquishMitten said:

I liked this place a lot more before the obvious paid trolls showed up. How bout y'all just stop arguing with them? It's their entire purpose, and you're just playing into it.

Honest question. Do we think paid trolls have infiltrated this board? 

I know I run into them often on reddit. But it is really difficult to determine whether a troll is a paid troll by Russia or someone else or if it is just a right-wing troll that picks up the same talking points.

14 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

I liked this place a lot more before the obvious paid trolls showed up. How bout y'all just stop arguing with them? It's their entire purpose, and you're just playing into it.

I’d argue we need the trolls to give us more experience at dealing with them.  They aren’t going anywhere.  Yes, we shouldn’t engage them or play into their tactics but it’s a good idea to see what they’re saying and recognize the stupid when we see it.

18 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

I know I run into them often on reddit. But it is really difficult to determine whether a troll is a paid troll by Russia or someone else or if it is just a right-wing troll that picks up the same talking points.

Determining who is a paid troll, Russian, or idiot is a pointless exercise.  They all have similar tactics and effect. 

Trolls aren’t good for a discussion board community. The result of having them is that every thread evolves into extreme positions. There is very little positive or productive discussions. It becomes only about winning. That is the current state of this site.

If this site doesn’t want that, the trolls should be banned imo and their methods frowned upon and discouraged.

Edited by GW Hayduke

29 minutes ago, GW Hayduke said:

Trolls aren’t good for a discussion board community. The result of having them is that every thread evolves into extreme positions. There is very little positive or productive discussions. It becomes only about winning. That is the current state of this site.

If this site doesn’t want that, the trolls should be banned imo and their methods frowned upon and discouraged.

Trolls aren’t good for discussion IN REAL LIFE community but they’re here.  Walking and talking around in society like you and me.  The message board community should reflect that.  

No safe spaces anywhere I say.  

We’ve got to learn how to deal with this shit without suppressing voices.