Texas Track and Field

Machinator

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Now it's definitely over. 

Floreal is going win 5+ national championships if he's here long-term.

FYI 3 top 10 recruits are coming in next class. 

Lol I hope that’s for man cause they need some talent. 

This woman’s team is going to be stacked next season with pretty much everyone coming back 

3 minutes ago, D3zii said:

Lol I hope that’s for man cause they need some talent. 

This woman’s team is going to be stacked next season with pretty much everyone coming back 

The men's team was in complete rebuild after last year. They will be well-positioned next year because they have a lot of scoring opportunities in non-sprint events. 

• Hook 'Em 1

48 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Would like to see Floreal get some distance runners. The Texas valley has the best distance runners in the state, which we get, but we need to broaden our recruiting reach to compete nationally

They've added some good distance runners on the men's side all things considered but they're never going to "compete nationally."

Texas allocates almost all their scholarships and NIL to sprinters who score more at the NCAA championships. And it's working. The women's recruiting class coming in will win a couple of national titles if things pan out. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

They've added some good distance runners on the men's side all things considered but they're never going to "compete nationally."

Texas allocates almost all their scholarships and NIL to sprinters who score more at the NCAA championships. And it's working. The women's recruiting class coming in will win a couple of national titles if things pan out. 

Thats fair. I forgot to factor in scholarship limits. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/16/2023 at 1:16 PM, Rickylovesweed said:

Also of note, Britton Wilson went pro from Arkansas yesterday. Need to see what Jasmine Moore does next at Florida (may go pro). 

Those are two huge point scorers from the biggest threats on the women's side. 

Jasmine Moore went pro but Florida is adding a really good transfer class. 

But still, if Texas gets Ackelia Smith and Adeleke back next year they have a great shot of winning 2 national titles. Smith will almost certainly score 20 points now for Texas with Moore going pro. 

If just those 2 return you're starting with around 30+ points on the women's side (assuming both are healthy). 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

The men's team with a really good transfer addition in Caleb Cavanaugh from Georgia.  Finished 7th in the 400M hurdles at the outdoor championships. 

I would not be surprised if his teammate (Matthew Boling) also transfers to Texas. Georgia hasn't been doing a very good job of developing sprinters and I'm expecting a mass exodus. 

• Hook 'Em 6

On 7/15/2023 at 8:37 AM, Rickylovesweed said:

The men's team with a really good transfer addition in Caleb Cavanaugh from Georgia.  Finished 7th in the 400M hurdles at the outdoor championships. 

I would not be surprised if his teammate (Matthew Boling) also transfers to Texas. Georgia hasn't been doing a very good job of developing sprinters and I'm expecting a mass exodus. 

Official.

• Hook 'Em 6

Georgia has absolutely wasted Boling. He's enjoyed some success (200m national indoor champion in 2021, 200m SEC outdoor champion in 2022), but his improvement from high school in terms of times and form in the sprints has been only marginal.

Took a step back this year in both short sprints, then made the national finals in the 400m in June despite not having run it as an individual since high school and not specifically training for it.

He was an elite long jumper (26' 3.5") in high school and has a powerful frame, so decathlete potential was there. Ran a legendary 44.5 split in the 4x400 relay as a HS senior.

It's obviously years too late to make a decathlete out of him, but maybe with proper guidance, he can star in the 200m, 400m, or long jump. (Probably 400m at this point.)

Again, Georgia absolutely wasted him.

• 2 weeks later...