Goofy shit you thought as a kid...

The olds will remember that Jack in the Box restaurant signs used to have a clown head on a spring sticking out of the top of the sign, rotating around.  My dad had us four boys convinced that if the clown saw you, you would be an aggy.  My oldest little brother and I would watch for them, then hit the back floorboard when we saw one.  If the two younger brothers got in the way, we just picked them up and threw them back in the seat.  Pissed my mom off, but my dad cracked up, every time.

And it must have been true.  The one who usually ended up on top of the pile has a bachelor's from aggy.

• Haha 7

2 minutes ago, miguelito said:

My dad told me when he was a kid, the drought was so bad (how bad was it?) that when it finally rained, just the peels of the raindrops fell.  You could pick them up and squeeze out a little water, but it wasn't a full drop.

Too close to home.  But I grinned, because it made me think of my dad.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/10/2022 at 7:40 PM, Sbbruin said:

I was certain that if I swallowed a watermelon seed a watermelon would grow in my stomach.

One of my first memories is having an apple seed stuck in my ear (idk why) and my dad telling me that an apple tree was growing out of my ear. I remember running to the bathroom mirror to see, convince Dad was right.

• Haha 2

On 10/12/2022 at 8:52 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

When I was 10 my little brother and I watched "The Legend of Boggy Creek".  For a month afterward I wouldn't sit near a window in case that bastard decided to try to grab me.  If you've seen the movie, you know the scene that got me.

Same. It and The Gargoyles scare the crap out of me.

On 10/22/2022 at 9:09 AM, SilasCoade said:

Thought it was illegal to drive barefoot.

It's not?

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/12/2022 at 8:52 PM, Scheiss Meister said:

When I was 10 my little brother and I watched "The Legend of Boggy Creek".  For a month afterward I wouldn't sit near a window in case that bastard decided to try to grab me.  If you've seen the movie, you know the scene that got me.

Brother??

• Hook 'Em 1

When I or someone in my family would choke/cough while eating, my mom would ask or say, "It must've gone down the wrong pipe." I thought for a long time we had different throats inside of us for meat, vegetables, drinks, etc. So, if I choked while eating bread it was because the bread went down the meat pipe.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I was convinced that during the Jerry Lewis Telethon, if we collected money and went to take it to Palmer Auditorium, we'd get to go in and watch the Telethon live. 

Never found out because we'd beg dad to let us do it and he'd tell us to fuck off, he wasn't spending one of his days off driving us down there. 

5 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

It is, ain't it?

I actually think it was/is a law in certain states.  They also used to tell us in driver's ed class that it was illegal to drive in sandals/flip flops.  Which was weird because we started driver's ed in Chicago in fucking January...kind of like telling us wet swim trunks weren't allowed in class.  But the rationale was the pedals could get caught between your flip flop and foot and cause an accident.  Kinda made sense so we went with it.  It wasn't until years later, I realized I was taught driving safety by an instructor who would go out on "behind-the-wheel-Fridays" with us driving with a lit cigarette in one hand, styrofoam cup of coffee in the other hand, fiddling between Dick Biondi oldies and Am talk radio, all while turning around to the backseat to tell us about the dangers of not paying attention on the road while your hands aren't at 10&2.  But my Ocean Pacific sandals were the real threat to society.  

Young Moriarty when he would hear the news man on TV talk about the “gorillas’ attacking, I thought that actual gorillas were out there attacking us.

And to mention something that scared the crap out of me as a youngster and stuck with me way too long…The Lord of the Rings cartoon scene where they go in and start hacking away at the beds thinking the hobbits are in there asleep.

30 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I actually think it was/is a law in certain states.  They also used to tell us in driver's ed class that it was illegal to drive in sandals/flip flops.  Which was weird because we started driver's ed in Chicago in fucking January...kind of like telling us wet swim trunks weren't allowed in class.  But the rationale was the pedals could get caught between your flip flop and foot and cause an accident.  Kinda made sense so we went with it.  It wasn't until years later, I realized I was taught driving safety by an instructor who would go out on "behind-the-wheel-Fridays" with us driving with a lit cigarette in one hand, styrofoam cup of coffee in the other hand, fiddling between Dick Biondi oldies and Am talk radio, all while turning around to the backseat to tell us about the dangers of not paying attention on the road while your hands aren't at 10&2.  But my Ocean Pacific sandals were the real threat to society.  

I can't  find any source to corroborate your contention. All the sources I get with google tell me it is not illegal in all 50 states. One source says it's illegal to operate a motorcycle barefoot in Alabama but that's it.

https://www.thezebra.com/resources/driving/driving-barefoot/#:~:text=It's a surprise to many,to make sure of it.

https://www.findlaw.com/legalblogs/law-and-life/illegal-to-drive-barefoot/

I was told that it related to the heat generated under the floorboard and it would make it hard to keep your feet positioned correctly. I guess lack of insulation or something, but that was from an old man teaching drivers Ed in the early 80s.

9 minutes ago, Catpfish said:
1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

I was told that it related to the heat generated under the floorboard and it would make it hard to keep your feet positioned correctly. I guess lack of insulation or something, but that was from an old man teaching drivers Ed in the early 80s.

I was told either in a defensive driving class or in driver's ed that it wasn't illegal(Alabama), but it was a bad idea in case you broke down and had to walk barefoot.

There was this stinky meat processing plant on South 1st St.  It was near this cemetary that I passed on the way to school every day.  I thought that smell was the corpses rotting.  

I still remember that smell when I see a cemetary.