Goofy shit you thought as a kid...

1 hour ago, Par4 said:

Terrified of Bigfoot. Probably started when he made an appearance on The Six Million Dollar Man, but I also remember a documentary that was on TV. I asked my Dad how long it would take Bigfoot to walk from Washington state to Austin. I would have a nightmare and crawl to my parents room under the windows so he wouldn't see me. Five year olds imaginations are pretty intense. 

tumblr_obvs2m5nBl1qmob6ro1_400.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Par4 said:

Terrified of Bigfoot. Probably started when he made an appearance on The Six Million Dollar Man, but I also remember a documentary that was on TV. I asked my Dad how long it would take Bigfoot to walk from Washington state to Austin. I would have a nightmare and crawl to my parents room under the windows so he wouldn't see me. Five year olds imaginations are pretty intense. 

When I was 10 my little brother and I watched "The Legend of Boggy Creek".  For a month afterward I wouldn't sit near a window in case that bastard decided to try to grab me.  If you've seen the movie, you know the scene that got me.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

When I was 10 my little brother and I watched "The Legend of Boggy Creek".  For a month afterward I wouldn't sit near a window in case that bastard decided to try to grab me.  If you've seen the movie, you know the scene that got me.

Never did watch that movie.  Bigfoot scared the shit out of me.  And it was based on the "Fouke Monster," a bigfoot sighting/event in Fouke, AR, around Texarkana.  Before the movie even came out, my grandmother related the tales of the Fouke Monster.  And we were two counties away from Fouke at the time.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I watched that too, but it didn’t affect my life choices, given that you deal with some boggy creeks lol. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Never did watch that movie.  Bigfoot scared the shit out of me.  And it was based on the "Fouke Monster," a bigfoot sighting/event in Fouke, AR, around Texarkana.  Before the movie even came out, my grandmother related the tales of the Fouke Monster.  And we were two counties away from Fouke at the time.

About 1/4 of my mom's many cousins (my grandmother had 11 siblings) lived in northwestern Louisiana or southwest Arkansas, including two near Fouke.  One said that the stories were bullshit, the other claimed to have seen it.  At 10 I believed the second one.

8 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I watched that too, but it didn’t affect my life choices, given that you deal with some boggy creeks lol. 

No, I keep creeks from being "boggy".

• Hook 'Em 1

Pretty sure I thought the world was black and white before thing for a while. The scary things that messed me up was Lechuza and Bloody Mary, definitely didn’t go around a mirror in the dark for a while.  Definitely thought saddam hussein was going to gas us for a while.  

56 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Pretty sure I thought the world was black and white before thing for a while. The scary things that messed me up was Lechuza and Bloody Mary, definitely didn’t go around a mirror in the dark for a while.  Definitely thought saddam hussein was going to gas us for a while.  

Speaking of which, I was pretty sure for a while that the world was literally black and white when my Mom and Dad grew up, because no color TV or color photos.

Edited by TwiceHorn

In my younger days my father described someone that was very ill and had become feeble and had lost a lot of weight.  In his description he said that the person's head had shrunk into his shoulders.

In my young mind I was trying to envision how someone could look like and retract their head like a turtle.

This guy did not exist at the time.

image.jpeg.e37d58d2c1e7d5daac9b568babe8ee6b.jpeg

Edited by mininghorn88
  • Haha 2

On 10/10/2022 at 9:53 PM, nnm said:

My daughter (no pics) is 27 years old and a PA. A very bright young woman. She was raised until 9 in Santa Fe, where there’s a store called Jackalope and where a common postcard has a jackalope on it. 
She thought, until last year, that jackalope were real. 
s-l1600.jpg

With how crazy nature can be, I wouldn't be surprised if it were a real thing similar to how Narwhals are actually real even though most people think they are as fictional as land unicorns.

spacer.png 

• Haha 1

I thought that a business sign that said "Business Name, Est 1900" meant that the business was started *some time* around 1900 (est = estimated).  I thought there were some really stupid business owners that didn't know exactly when their business was launched, when the "estimated" date was only a few years in the past.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Scheiss Meister said:

Watched it as a child and was also terrified of that thing, remember them showing the dead cat the next morning.  I watched it again several years ago on YT and laughed at how corny it was, even had a musical number in the middle of it.. The sequel was pure putrid shit even Mary Ann and young Dana Plato couldn't save kt. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/12/2022 at 8:57 PM, TwiceHorn said:

Probably just @markstanco when he stepped outside for his morning piss. 

Growing up we backpacked a lot in southern Colorado.  I was nervous about animals, etc.  My Dad and his friend convinced me that airplanes and satellites flying over at night were actually bear beacons looking for humans.  "Uh oh, there's another bear beacon flying over."

• Haha 3

On 10/15/2022 at 8:30 AM, kurioster said:

the Boogey Man lived in my grandparents attic according to my Grandma.  30+ years later and I now own/live in said house over a year and no signs of the Boogey Man.Plan on telling my 17 month old the same story.

The Boogey Man has you right where he wants you. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 40acredropout said:

Along our staircase was photo of a blonde toddler girl at the beach.  I asked my older sister, five years older than me with dark brown hair at this point, who it was in the picture.  She told me it was me before I got a sex change.  I held onto that for a few months before finally getting the nerve to ask my parents about it.

My brother and I told our little sister that she was adopted, but the adoptive family didn’t like her and brought her back. 
When my dad found out, he spanked us with his leather belt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Who else's belt would it be?  

My dad actually taught us the metric system when we went to Canada and was convinced it would finally take over in the U.S.  To this day, I don't know the metric system very well and have zero fucking idea the size of a hectare or a quart.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Who else's belt would it be?  

My dad actually taught us the metric system when we went to Canada and was convinced it would finally take over in the U.S.  To this day, I don't know the metric system very well and have zero fucking idea the size of a hectare or a quart.  

A metric quart or a conventional quart?  

Whenever they would do the dramatizations of crimes on local TV, I wondered why they didn't just arrest the guy right there.

After seeing the super long Thriller video, I knew zombies were real, so I'd always keep an eye out for where cemeteries were, wondering how long it'd take to get to my house. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I thought the troll from 3 Billy Goats Gruff lived under every bridge and was absolutely terrified going over them.

I thought reading a book of karate instruction from the public library was going to make me indomitable in fights. Instead it just made my mom mad at the late fees.

Edited by SilasCoade
  • Haha 3