Japan (March 2023)

Ghost of LL

The long lines have more to do with eating at places that don’t take reservations. Just too many great eats to limit yourself to the fancy joints. (That and I’m on per diem vice expense report.)

2 places that I do highly recommend in Osaka (and no rez needed,) Critters Burger in Shinsaibashi. (Get the Wagu Burger.)

And Dublin Bay Irish Pub in Namba. Looks, feels and smells like a pub in the old country with not a lick of English to be had. But a great Irish/Japanese Whiskey selection at Lubbock prices. 1000 yen for any shot (7 bucks). That includes winners like Yamazaki 12 or Red Breast 12. Happy hour (5-8 I think) it’s 900 a shot. Nice and friendly owners and customers.

15 hours ago, po elvis said:

What are your thoughts of the weather in March? We are thinking about going around then.

Considering March/April is Cherry Blossom season, which is literally a religious level experience for the entire country, I'd say weather is pretty good. You should 100% go during cherry blossom season if you can. Weather was great man. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Considering March/April is Cherry Blossom season, which is literally a religious level experience for the entire country, I'd say weather is pretty good. You should 100% go during cherry blossom season if you can. Weather was great man. 

Seconding this. Weather in March is great and it's not as crowded as the summer. 

On 8/23/2023 at 11:23 PM, DallasGatr said:

The long lines have more to do with eating at places that don’t take reservations. Just too many great eats to limit yourself to the fancy joints. (That and I’m on per diem vice expense report.)

And what I'm telling you is that in Central Kyoto, there aren't a lot of places that don't take reservations, irrespective of level of fanciness.  

Note: by "Central Kyoto," I'm talking about the Gion and the Pontocho areas.

• 2 weeks later...

Going in November for 2 weeks.  Taking the wife, 2 kiddos (4 and 2) and MIL (babysitter).

Flying in and out of Tokyo, but curious if anyone has any suggestions on kid friendly things to do and places to stay.

Generally, we  pick airbnbs in suburban areas with parks close by and venture into the hustle and bustle, but not sure how to navigate that in a city so expansive. 

On 9/6/2023 at 12:25 PM, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Going in November for 2 weeks.  Taking the wife, 2 kiddos (4 and 2) and MIL (babysitter).

Flying in and out of Tokyo, but curious if anyone has any suggestions on kid friendly things to do and places to stay.

Generally, we  pick airbnbs in suburban areas with parks close by and venture into the hustle and bustle, but not sure how to navigate that in a city so expansive. 

Some thoughts about Tokyo:

- I wouldn't suggest staying further north than Ueno/Asakusa or further west than Ikebukuro/Shinjuku. Too far outside the city center area and you'll send half the day taking subways/rail/Ubers

- How do you plan to get around Tokyo? If it's subway/rail, stay by a station that has multiple subway/rail lines. We stayed by the Ikebukuro station and were very happy with the area and transportation options

- Some neighborhoods are full of tourists and some are quieter. If you stay in Shibuya, Shinjuku or Harajuku, it'll be you and 10,000 new close friends.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 1:36 PM, zman13 said:

Some thoughts about Tokyo:

- I wouldn't suggest staying further north than Ueno/Asakusa or further west than Ikebukuro/Shinjuku. Too far outside the city center area and you'll send half the day taking subways/rail/Ubers

- How do you plan to get around Tokyo? If it's subway/rail, stay by a station that has multiple subway/rail lines. We stayed by the Ikebukuro station and were very happy with the area and transportation options

- Some neighborhoods are full of tourists and some are quieter. If you stay in Shibuya, Shinjuku or Harajuku, it'll be you and 10,000 new close friends.

This is very helpful, thank you!

Hmmm, . . . 

As far as the kids go, we did Tokyo Disneyland, which was fun.  It's easily accessible by subway, which is really nice.

But I guess my over-arching societal observation is that Japan has a somewhat weird cultural affinity for nostalgia and things that look like they're geared for children.  Everything has a furry mascot; anime is ubiquitous.  But it's also a country with a shockingly low birthrate.  So while everything looks like it's kid-friendly, nothing actually is.  The basic blocking-and-tackling of children--kid menus, changing tables in public bathrooms, even low urinals--are completely absent in Japan.

Incidentally, how are you getting there?  I'm not sure I'd be game for a 12-hour flight with kids that young.

As to your location question, that's really tough for me because we stayed fairly close-in.  Perhaps my only observation is that even a "suburban" area in Tokyo would feel very urban to an American.  I don't think the "surburban" environment you're describing would put the city within reasonable access for a tourist.

And if you're looking for parks and places of the sort to let kids run around, paradoxically most of your biggest parks are close in near Shibuya.  I don't know that they have a lot of Western-style playgrounds, but they definitely provide an area for kids to run around and explore.

• Hook 'Em 1

Are you planning to stay in Tokyo the whole time? Seems like you'd run out of things to do after a week.

If your kids are cool, take them to TeamLabs Planets in Tokyo.

Going to Osaka, Nara, Kyoto and Tokyo in November-December for two weeks. Staying in Shinjuku in Tokyo and taking the Shinkansen from Osaka to Tokyo. We’re taking tours of the cities and Mt. Fuji(taking the bus to the 5th station). We’re really looking forward to the trip.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/12/2023 at 12:03 PM, Ghost of LL said:

Hmmm, . . . 

As far as the kids go, we did Tokyo Disneyland, which was fun.  It's easily accessible by subway, which is really nice.

But I guess my over-arching societal observation is that Japan has a somewhat weird cultural affinity for nostalgia and things that look like they're geared for children.  Everything has a furry mascot; anime is ubiquitous.  But it's also a country with a shockingly low birthrate.  So while everything looks like it's kid-friendly, nothing actually is.  The basic blocking-and-tackling of children--kid menus, changing tables in public bathrooms, even low urinals--are completely absent in Japan.

Incidentally, how are you getting there?  I'm not sure I'd be game for a 12-hour flight with kids that young.

As to your location question, that's really tough for me because we stayed fairly close-in.  Perhaps my only observation is that even a "suburban" area in Tokyo would feel very urban to an American.  I don't think the "surburban" environment you're describing would put the city within reasonable access for a tourist.

And if you're looking for parks and places of the sort to let kids run around, paradoxically most of your biggest parks are close in near Shibuya.  I don't know that they have a lot of Western-style playgrounds, but they definitely provide an area for kids to run around and explore.

Thanks for the info.  We did no do any planning per se prior to booking our flights so are sort of working backwards.  The vastness of Tokyo is def daunting to plan for from afar.  Good to know on the kid friendly aspect.  Our kids are pretty flexible so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.  However, we are flying 16 hours from DFW which will most likely be a nightmare, but hoping for the best.

When you say close in, do you mean close to Tokyo Station?  More suburban may be a pipe dream.  More importantly our preference for airbnbs stems from our ability to shut the kids off in their owns rooms at night so we can stay up and get out drinks in, etc.

20 hours ago, zman13 said:

Are you planning to stay in Tokyo the whole time? Seems like you'd run out of things to do after a week.

If your kids are cool, take them to TeamLabs Planets in Tokyo.

Similar to GoLL, the thing I'm looking forward to most is a bento box experience on a bullet train so def plan to explore outside Tokyo.  Just having difficulty understanding how to budget time between Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka or if there's some must see place we aren't accounting for.  Also,  it appears Osaka and Kyoto are fairly close.  Does it make sense to set up base in Osaka and do day trips to Kyoto?  

Conversely, I have a neighbor who said he was over Kyoto after two days and wished he'd spent more time in Tokyo.  And another friend who spent 2 months in Kyoto and swears it's the best experience.  I guess just different strokes for different folks?

23 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Thanks for the info.  We did no do any planning per se prior to booking our flights so are sort of working backwards.  The vastness of Tokyo is def daunting to plan for from afar.  Good to know on the kid friendly aspect.  Our kids are pretty flexible so it shouldn't be too much of an issue.  However, we are flying 16 hours from DFW which will most likely be a nightmare, but hoping for the best.

When you say close in, do you mean close to Tokyo Station?  More suburban may be a pipe dream.  More importantly our preference for airbnbs stems from our ability to shut the kids off in their owns rooms at night so we can stay up and get out drinks in, etc.

Yes/No/Kinda-sorta.  

There are three main close-in neighborhoods where I think most tourists stay: Shinjuku, Shibuya, and Roppongi.  Those are sated going counterclockwise from due west of the Imperial Palace/Tokyo Station. 

As I said previously, I think for kids I might do Shibuya due to the proximity to a few major parks (e.g., Yoyogi Park and the Shinjuku Gardens).  We stayed over at the Conrad in Shiodome, which is pretty close to the Tsukiji Outer Market (which I highly recommend for breakfast or an early lunch), the Ginza (for Mrs.LL's shopping), and an easy walk to Shimbashi, which was a great neighborhood for evening eating/drinking and a big center for transit.  But that's not exactly any of what you're there for.

But I hear you on the AirBNB's.  We did that a lot when our kids were young.  I'll just observe, though, that Japanese apartments are typically very small, and may not give you the type of accommodation you're accustomed to in the United States.

What about two connecting hotel rooms for you/wife and MIL, with the kids in with MIL while you two are out?

17 minutes ago, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Similar to GoLL, the thing I'm looking forward to most is a bento box experience on a bullet train so def plan to explore outside Tokyo.  Just having difficulty understanding how to budget time between Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka or if there's some must see place we aren't accounting for.  Also,  it appears Osaka and Kyoto are fairly close.  Does it make sense to set up base in Osaka and do day trips to Kyoto?  

Conversely, I have a neighbor who said he was over Kyoto after two days and wished he'd spent more time in Tokyo.  And another friend who spent 2 months in Kyoto and swears it's the best experience.  I guess just different strokes for different folks?

So I really preferred Tokyo; Mrs.LL greatly preferred Kyoto.  So it really is a matter of taste.

We skipped Osaka, and I have been under the distinct impression that that was the way to go. Kyoto was something that was really unique, as it is the former capital and the only city that wasn't bombed during the war.  

But I really wish we had found enough time to go down to Hiroshima and explore Miyojima.  

• Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Yes/No/Kinda-sorta.  

There are three main close-in neighborhoods where I think most tourists stay: Shinjuku, Shibuya, and Roppongi.  Those are sated going counterclockwise from due west of the Imperial Palace/Tokyo Station. 

As I said previously, I think for kids I might do Shibuya due to the proximity to a few major parks (e.g., Yoyogi Park and the Shinjuku Gardens).  We stayed over at the Conrad in Shiodome, which is pretty close to the Tsukiji Outer Market (which I highly recommend for breakfast or an early lunch), the Ginza (for Mrs.LL's shopping), and an easy walk to Shimbashi, which was a great neighborhood for evening eating/drinking and a big center for transit.  But that's not exactly any of what you're there for.

But I hear you on the AirBNB's.  We did that a lot when our kids were young.  I'll just observe, though, that Japanese apartments are typically very small, and may not give you the type of accommodation you're accustomed to in the United States.

What about two connecting hotel rooms for you/wife and MIL, with the kids in with MIL while you two are out?

So I really preferred Tokyo; Mrs.LL greatly preferred Kyoto.  So it really is a matter of taste.

We skipped Osaka, and I have been under the distinct impression that that was the way to go. Kyoto was something that was really unique, as it is the former capital and the only city that wasn't bombed during the war.  

But I really wish we had found enough time to go down to Hiroshima and explore Miyojima.  

Thank you.  Will take a look at Shibuya, as that sounds like our speed.  Then narrow down what's more practical/affordable between airbnb and adjoining hotel rooms.

What were some of the reasons why you preferred Tokyo and your wife Kyoto?

Also, hadn't thought about Hiroshima/Miyojima.  Will try to plan that end towards the tail end of our trip or maybe day trip it from Kyoto. 

Lastly, any tips for the bento box? That thing looked legit.

On the difference between Kyoto and Tokyo, I guess it comes down to size.  Tokyo is the largest city in the world, and it feels like that when you're there.  There are a ton of people, a ton of places to eat, a ton of places to shop, and a ton of things to see.  But beyond that, it's also a city of contrasts.  You can be in an ancient temple one minute and feel like you're in the future the next.  You can wander around the Imperial Palace grounds, parts of which are nearly deserted, and then go down the street and be in Tokyo Station, which will be packed.

Kyoto is much smaller.  The buildings are capped at (I think) ten stories.  There are a thousand temples and shrines, allowing more time for quiet and reflective sightseeing.  And as you walk along through the Gion, it's just a very pretty city.

On the bento box, I don't have any real suggestions.  At the station, there are a bunch of different shops that will be selling snacks.  You can just peer around and see what strikes your fancy.  Even if you're running late, there's always a little shop on the platform that is going to have a decent selection of bento boxes and beers.

That's honestly the bit about Japan that takes the least planning or thought.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I had several thread options to pose this question and this is where I landed. We are doing a cruise in 2025 that sails out of Taipe and ends in Kyoto. The cruise goes to several places in Japan and China. We will likely fly in 3 or 4 days before we sail to get adjusted to the time and to sightsee. We are trying to decide if we want to fly straight to Taipe and spend time there, or fly to Tokyo and spend time there, since it's not part of the cruise. We'd then fly to Taipe the day off the cruise. Anyone been to both and have a preference or have a compelling argument one way or the other. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Both. Fly to Taipei a couple days early before the cruise, then train to Tokyo and stay a few days extra before flying back to US after. I'm biased, but Taipei is a fantastic city and the food is much more diverse in Taiwan.

23 minutes ago, Sam Lin said:

Both. Fly to Taipei a couple days early before the cruise, then train to Tokyo and stay a few days extra before flying back to US after. I'm biased, but Taipei is a fantastic city and the food is much more diverse in Taiwan.

Great idea, but not sure we have time to do both with flights, time changes, and getting on and off the ship. Both places look great and I wish we didn't have to choose. 

Both amazing cities.  I've been to Tokyo a few times and at this point kind of build my initial itinerary around restaurants that need to be booked in advance (for the high end, that's pretty much all of them) and then fill in the rest of the trip (casual dining, exploring neighborhoods, museums, shopping, etc.) around that.  I have less experience with that type of dining in Taipei, mainly because I'd rather eat a bunch of Taiwanese breakfast food and hit up casual noodle/Taiwanese/Chinese spots.  There's also a big night market scene.  Kyoto also worth exploring, obviously, if you have time.  I'll be in both Taipei and Tokyo next month... can't wait.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, creeper said:

Both amazing cities.  I've been to Tokyo a few times and at this point kind of build my initial itinerary around restaurants that need to be booked in advance (for the high end, that's pretty much all of them) and then fill in the rest of the trip (casual dining, exploring neighborhoods, museums, shopping, etc.) around that.  I have less experience with that type of dining in Taipei, mainly because I'd rather eat a bunch of Taiwanese breakfast food and hit up casual noodle/Taiwanese/Chinese spots.  There's also a big night market scene.  Kyoto also worth exploring, obviously, if you have time.  I'll be in both Taipei and Tokyo next month... can't wait.

Our cruise ends in Kyoto so we'll definitely get to spend some time there. 

Posted (edited)

Heading to Tokyo and Kyoto in 2 weeks. Have done frighteningly minimal planning for me. Live in Hawaii so we will be back a couple more times so not that concerned. Doing 4 days centered in shinbashi —> 3 days Kyoto —> 3 days in Shinjuku to finish. Doing team lab, Tokyo tower, and shibuya sky so far and that’s like…all we’ve planned. Don’t mind not having an itinerary this go around but any other must sees in Tokyo? Got a list of shrines/restaurants/bars to wander to in Kyoto and Arashiyama. 

edit: JK thought this was page 1 for some reason. I’ll actually fucking read or whatever.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Heading to Tokyo and Kyoto in 2 weeks. Have done frighteningly minimal planning for me. Live in Hawaii so we will be back a couple more times so not that concerned. Doing 4 days centered in shinbashi —> 3 days Kyoto —> 3 days in Shinjuku to finish. Doing team lab, Tokyo tower, and shibuya sky so far and that’s like…all we’ve planned. Don’t mind not having an itinerary this go around but any other must sees in Tokyo? Got a list of shrines/restaurants/bars to wander to in Kyoto and Arashiyama. 

edit: JK thought this was page 1 for some reason. I’ll actually fucking read or whatever.

Yeah--as noted upthread, we loved Tsujiki Outer Market for a sushi brunch.  I really wish we had more time and had done it more than once.  But as it turned out, we did it the day we were leaving for Kyoto, so we had a mid-afternoon train to catch and kind of had to leave before I was completely ready to go.

We also really liked the Shimbashi neighborhood, as the photos indicate.  It's completely what you imagine Tokyo as being.  Go on Thursday and Friday nights--that's when the salarymen are going to be crowding into the izakayas and getting well and truly plastered.  You'll have a blast.

Near Shinjuku, go over to Omoide Yokocho (Piss Alley).  It's a two-block area of tiny bars along a very narrow alley.  I can't really explain it beyond that.

I will tell you, particularly as some who says he has done minimal planning, you'd probably do well to get a guidebook to read on the plane.  Not for particular sights--you'll figure that out on your own.  But there are enough nuances to the whole culture that it'd made basic things like going to a bar a lot easier/much more enjoyable if you read up ahead of time.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

Yeah--as noted upthread, we loved Tsujiki Outer Market for a sushi brunch.  I really wish we had more time and had done it more than once.  But as it turned out, we did it the day we were leaving for Kyoto, so we had a mid-afternoon train to catch and kind of had to leave before I was completely ready to go.

We also really liked the Shimbashi neighborhood, as the photos indicate.  It's completely what you imagine Tokyo as being.  Go on Thursday and Friday nights--that's when the salarymen are going to be crowding into the izakayas and getting well and truly plastered.  You'll have a blast.

Near Shinjuku, go over to Omoide Yokocho (Piss Alley).  It's a two-block area of tiny bars along a very narrow alley.  I can't really explain it beyond that.

I will tell you, particularly as some who says he has done minimal planning, you'd probably do well to get a guidebook to read on the plane.  Not for particular sights--you'll figure that out on your own.  But there are enough nuances to the whole culture that it'd made basic things like going to a bar a lot easier/much more enjoyable if you read up ahead of time.

Agree on the guidebook.  We had an actual Tokyo resident showing us the ropes, and it really helped.

14 hours ago, Hank_Hill said:

Yea we’ll be with my wifes Japanese/Brazilian friend who is a Tokyo resident for the first couple days so she’ll be helpful I’m sure. Any nuances y’all can recall off the top of your head?

I found the Boutique Japan website (here is their blog entry on Izakayas) to be pretty helpful.  Yeah--use bathroom slippers.  But bathroom slippers stay at the bathroom door; don't wear them back to the table. 

Oh, and while it's super common to blow your nose at the table, it's considered very rude in Japan (though that didn't stop Mrs.LL from repeatedly doing so).  And don't rub your chopsticks together to clear splinters; it implies that you think the restaurant uses cheap chopsticks.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/22/2024 at 5:41 AM, creeper said:

High end dining in Taiwan might be even worse for needing to book wayyyy in advance or have the right friends. There've been quite a few Asia Top50 in Taiwan last couple years, and they're very difficult to get a seat at. I'm with you though, I see no reason to waste a meal at "fine dining" in Taiwan when I'm guaranteed a more satisfying meal at street level.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/26/2024 at 12:49 AM, Hank_Hill said:

Headed there in two months…will be following your comments…starting to plan this weekend. Tokyo is stop #1 and doing about 10-12 days…will review these other locations including Kyoto.

For those seasoned Japan travelers…any museum/site and food/restaurant I should book now? TIA. \m/

17 hours ago, Sam Lin said:

High end dining in Taiwan might be even worse for needing to book wayyyy in advance or have the right friends. There've been quite a few Asia Top50 in Taiwan last couple years, and they're very difficult to get a seat at. I'm with you though, I see no reason to waste a meal at "fine dining" in Taiwan when I'm guaranteed a more satisfying meal at street level.

A family friend who spends most of her time in Taipei wanted to book Le Palais for our upcoming trip... was booked out months in advance, though I suspect if you stay at the hotel you can get in, and I've seen the occasional next-day table pop up.  But I've heard places like Logy, RAW, and Tarroir are legit tough to book.  We're also visiting Seoul this time and the higher end spots there seem somewhat easier to book.

We did Tokyo and Kyoto about a decade ago.  Really loved exploring the neighborhoods and restaurants in Tokyo but highlights for me were (1) the fish market (2) going to a Tokyo Giants game (3) staying a night at the Hakone Ginyu ryokan (Hakone is a little mountain village bw Tokyo and Kyoto). 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

I found the Boutique Japan website (here is their blog entry on Izakayas) to be pretty helpful.  Yeah--use bathroom slippers.  But bathroom slippers stay at the bathroom door; don't wear them back to the table.

Interesting twist about separate bathroom slippers. I presume you have to change out of your street shoes and into slippers upon entry to the restaurant, and then into/out of separate bathroom slippers if you approach the toilets?

Did you notice if many Japanese carry their own slippers into restaurants or do most just rely on the house selection?

7 hours ago, Chopper said:

Interesting twist about separate bathroom slippers. I presume you have to change out of your street shoes and into slippers upon entry to the restaurant, and then into/out of separate bathroom slippers if you approach the toilets?

Did you notice if many Japanese carry their own slippers into restaurants or do most just rely on the house selection?

I have to say that this was somewhat rare--we only saw it in a couple of restaurants we went to in Kyoto.  But I don't remember changing into "house slippers" when entering the restaurant.  You just took off your shoes and went around in your stocking feet.  Then, when you went to the toilet, there were bathroom slippers for use there.  But then you take them off when you're done and leave them at the bathroom door.

The Japanese I saw didn't bring their own slippers.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 2 weeks later...

Headed out in a month. Ten nights. Flying in and out of Tokyo.

Current thoughts:

Tokyo 3 nights

Kyoto 3 nights

Osaka 2 nights

Tokyo 2 more nights

Too much Tokyo? I don’t mind staying longer in three or two cities instead of four…and I also don’t wan to try and “see everything” in my first visit.

Any thoughts appreciated.

8 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Current thoughts:

Tokyo 3 nights

Kyoto 3 nights

Osaka 2 nights

Tokyo 2 more nights

Too much Tokyo? I don’t mind staying longer in three or two cities instead of four…and I also don’t wan to try and “see everything” in my first visit.

A few years back I did almost that exact itinerary. IMO, no that's not too much Tokyo. It's an amazing city with plenty to explore. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I found Tokyo claustrophobic and enjoyed it most when I went where the fewest people were.  Residential areas, parks, and museums during weekday mornings when everyone else was at work.  Of course you can't avoid the shoulder to shoulder crowds at the famous squares and all their unique shops, and these are definitely worth seeing at night.  I enjoyed wandering around the Harajuku area at night and it wasn't too crowded because a lot of the stores (but not restaurants) were closed.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Tailgate said:

Current thoughts:

Tokyo 3 nights

Kyoto 3 nights

Osaka 2 nights

Tokyo 2 more nights

Not too much time in Tokyo.

Figure out what kind of experience you want in Tokyo. It's such as huge city with so much to see, you can do almost anything. 

Do you want museums and temples? Alley bars and street food? Catch your fish restaurants and parasite museum? 

Edited by zman13
  • Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, zman13 said:

Not too much time in Tokyo.

Figure out what kind of experience you want in Tokyo. It's such as huge city with so much to see, you can do almost anything. 

Do you want museums and temples? Alley bars and street food? Catch your fish restaurants and parasite museum? 

Want to head to a day or overnight trip to Mt. Fuji. Is it possible in a day or should we stay a night near there. I heard it’s a beautiful area.

will for sure be hitting street food…any thoughts on that and seafood if you’ve got them. Thank you!

On 4/16/2024 at 12:56 PM, Tailgate said:

Want to head to a day or overnight trip to Mt. Fuji. Is it possible in a day or should we stay a night near there. I heard it’s a beautiful area.

will for sure be hitting street food…any thoughts on that and seafood if you’ve got them. Thank you!

For street food, we had good luck going to places with a crowd.

Recommending seafood is tough because there are a million options. I'd recommend looking for places close to where you will be, instead of traveling long distances to the restaurant. 

Tokyo to Mt Fuji and back to Tokyo, assuming you are not climbing, is doable in one day. It'll be a long day but it's possible. 

You can also stop at Mt Fuji on the way to Kyoto/Osaka and then continue to Kyoto/Osaka. You won't have to backtrack with that plan.

If you want to spend the night in the Mt Fuji area, I highly recommend staying at a hot springs inn (onsen) in the Hakone area. The area is beautiful (as you were told), the hot springs and inns are cool and it's a great detour. Seeing Mt Fuji is nice but the Hakone area was much more fun and enjoyable for us.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)

Well, just got back. Holy fuck what an amazing place. I don’t think I’ve ever been this depressed to be home from a trip, and I live on Maui now. Rio was close but not quite like this. 

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 4

On 4/17/2024 at 12:01 PM, zman13 said:

For street food, we had good luck going to places with a crowd.

Recommending seafood is tough because there are a million options. I'd recommend looking for places close to where you will be, instead of traveling long distances to the restaurant. 

Tokyo to Mt Fuji and back to Tokyo, assuming you are not climbing, is doable in one day. It'll be a long day but it's possible. 

You can also stop at Mt Fuji on the way to Kyoto/Osaka and then continue to Kyoto/Osaka. You won't have to backtrack with that plan.

If you want to spend the night in the Mt Fuji area, I highly recommend staying at a hot springs inn (onsen) in the Hakone area. The area is beautiful (as you were told), the hot springs and inns are cool and it's a great detour. Seeing Mt Fuji is nice but the Hakone area was much more fun and enjoyable for us.

20240413_100620(1).thumb.jpg.00a32082a5ad9432e67ef2e4448db2f0.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1