Zero

Vic Mackey

2 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

The first part of your statement is right on. Eight of the 14 penalties were either offsides or procedure. Texas was flagged 6 times on “judgement calls” like holding and PI.  OSU had zero procedure penalties and was flagged twice for judgment calls (both offensive holding) that were declined.

So it was 6-to-2 on “judgement” flags, which favors OSU but isn’t outlandish. If I were you all, I’d be more upset about 8 procedure type penalties. Those are purely on player discipline. 

And when osu players moved but weren’t penalized? Or when sanders threw screens toward the sidelines and the inside receivers were blatantly holding? Yeah, 14-0. Totally legit. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

Or when sanders threw screens toward the sidelines and the inside receivers were blatantly holding? Yeah, 14-0. Totally legit. 

These were the most egregious non calls.  Everybody can argue about interior line holding and whatnot and yea chances are on every play one of five guys is doing some form of it but this stuff was obvious to see, out in space and never called once.  Nevermind that not all of those passes were at or behind the line of scrimmage and when that goes on you don't even have to hold...you can't block the defender with the ball in the air beyond the LOS. 

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

The first part of your statement is right on. Eight of the 14 penalties were either offsides or procedure. Texas was flagged 6 times on “judgement calls” like holding and PI.  OSU had zero procedure penalties and was flagged twice for judgment calls (both offensive holding) that were declined.
So it was 6-to-2 on “judgement” flags, which favors OSU but isn’t outlandish. If I were you all, I’d be more upset about 8 procedure type penalties. Those are purely on player discipline. 

I’m not sure your math is adding up. Believe one of your penalties was offsetting with another judgment call on us. If that’s correct, it’s 7-2. So that’s probably 4 first downs and 60 positive yards to your benefit and maybe about 80

Consider this element too. When you trail all game do you believe the tendency to press exists? When you press, do the prospect of penalties increase? Not just this game but last year OSU, BU and OU had very few penalties. KU held way worse on game glitching two pointer last year. Also remember the horses hit roughing on Thornton last year, then ignoring Rodrigos hit on Thompson.

I’m not sure I’d classify as terrible but we certainly have to work harder because of it.

6 hours ago, Had Enough said:

When was this?

I know TCU had one versus OU.

Doh!  My bad - I watched too many games that day, drank a lot, and remember screaming at the TV about the phantom fair catch signal.  I guess I am just used to all the BS flags being thrown at Texas.  Maybe there is a new disorder called PTRD - Post Traumatic Referee Disorder.

• Hook 'Em 1

For your viewing pleasure (rage). 

All plays from the UT/OSU game w/o commercials & BS.

Questionable calls against UT; worst first:

4Q Holding negating 60ish yard run: 56:35 - whoever said it's a penalty in every conference is full of shit. That's a pancake.

3Q PI call on Jamison: 37:38 (legit though that's a terrible call. If that's PI then so is grabbing Worthy's arm @ 13:48 as well as grabbing Bijan out of the backfield at 43:38. I don't think any of them are worthy of a flag. The lesson, as has been the case forever, our receivers need to learn how to sell PI like the OSU WR does at 30:16)

2Q PI call on Barron: 25:12 Hard to tell by the angle but it doesn't look like the WR is making that play. Dumb push so I wouldn't argue this one too much, but the kicker is the ref looking right at it doesn't even look fazed. The flag comes from the back judge 20 yards away and 4 seconds later. All is well though as it ends with an INT.

2 of the 3 are bad calls for sure. I don't remember any others that were as bad as those.

Edited by hook me

On 10/23/2022 at 12:41 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

Sure.

But I watch a lot of college football games. I see terrible, inconsistent officiating in practically every one of them.  Did you watch Clemson/Syracuse? There were two completely terrible/inconsistent roughing the QB calls in that game that basically tilted it in favor of Clemson. I’m sure all of the Syracuse message boards today are talking about how the refs are in the tank for Clemson, have a bias, blah, blah, blah.

I’ve heard/read this exact same song and dance from OSU fans when we end up on the shit end of it.

There’s no bias. There’s just terrible officiating every week and sometimes it bites you and sometimes it doesn’t. You just don’t think about it/notice it when it’s not negatively impacting you. Classic confirmation bias.

I do know this - getting 8 (!) procedure/offsides calls is something that is directly in a team’s control. It literally has nothing to do with any ref “bias.”

So I would tend to be more upset about that.

The fuck are you smoking, bro. Yes bad calls happen, but when it "bites" you 14 times the other team ZERO there just might be something else going on. 

And these issues are not mutually exclusive. We are plenty pissed about the stupid procedural infractions. In my opinion, it's more of a coaching problem than anything. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 10/23/2022 at 12:41 PM, oSuJeff97 said:

Sure.

But I watch a lot of college football games. I see terrible, inconsistent officiating in practically every one of them.  Did you watch Clemson/Syracuse? There were two completely terrible/inconsistent roughing the QB calls in that game that basically tilted it in favor of Clemson. I’m sure all of the Syracuse message boards today are talking about how the refs are in the tank for Clemson, have a bias, blah, blah, blah.

I’ve heard/read this exact same song and dance from OSU fans when we end up on the shit end of it.

There’s no bias. There’s just terrible officiating every week and sometimes it bites you and sometimes it doesn’t. You just don’t think about it/notice it when it’s not negatively impacting you. Classic confirmation bias.

I do know this - getting 8 (!) procedure/offsides calls is something that is directly in a team’s control. It literally has nothing to do with any ref “bias.”

So I would tend to be more upset about that.

You are talking to a bunch of us who witnessed a crime in Austin when we played  against you in 2015.   That was outright corruption from the Big 12 Refs.  So when you have something like this disparity show up, yea we are suspicious.    On top of our own Refs screwing us in the Bama game and BS targeting call in the UTSA game.     

10 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

You are talking to a bunch of us who witnessed a crime in Austin when we played  against you in 2015.   That was outright corruption from the Big 12 Refs.  So when you have something like this disparity show up, yea we are suspicious.    On top of our own Refs screwing us in the Bama game and BS targeting call in the UTSA game.     

I may be wrong (often am), but I believe Jeff was adamant that there was nothing wrong with the officiating in the 2015 game.

It's pretty simple.  Yes, we played like shit and deserved most of the penalties against us.  That's not the sticking point. 

The point is that the same motherfucking standard wasn't applied to the other team and they could hold/interfere with impunity. 

I have never in my life seen a college football team play an entire game and not get flagged.  It should be impossible.  On every play someone does something dirty/illegal/accidental, and all it takes is the ref seeing it and pulling the trigger. 

Mix in the circumstances and optics of all the conference realignment and "Big Bad Texas" complexes the other teams have, and it strains the bounds of credulity that OSU's 0 penalties were on the up and up.

Goddamnit.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Cornpop said:

The fuck are you smoking, bro. Yes bad calls happen, but when it "bites" you 14 times the other team ZERO there just might be something else going on. 

And these issues are not mutually exclusive. We are plenty pissed about the stupid procedural infractions. In my opinion, it's more of a coaching problem than anything. 

I'm smoking weed, but that's besides the point.

3 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

I may be wrong (often am), but I believe Jeff was adamant that there was nothing wrong with the officiating in the 2015 game.

It depends what you mean by "nothing wrong."

Texas certainly got hosed by several bad calls in that game, just like every other team gets hosed by multiple bad calls in games from time to time. It's happened to OSU more times than I can count.

But there was "nothing wrong" in that there was no conspiracy by the Big 12, the refs or anyone else. Conspiracy theories about refs is just something fans whine about on message boards. The idea that something like that would go on in the real world is frankly, hysterical, when the very, very simple explanation is that college officials are roundly awful all the time.

I mean, fuck; the very next year we literally had a ref crew improperly give Central Michigan an untimed down against us at the end of a game that allowed them to win on a Hail Mary. That's not just making a bad judgement call on holding or whatever, that's an entire officiating crew that didn't know the fucking rules and gave the other team another play when the game was over.  But I guess someone paid them off or whatever... yeah...that's it. That's the only possible explanation... not gross incompetence or anything... 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 7

12 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

I'm smoking weed, but that's besides the point.

It depends what you mean by "nothing wrong."

Texas certainly got hosed by several bad calls in that game, just like every other team gets hosed by multiple bad calls in games from time to time. It's happened to OSU more times than I can count.

But there was "nothing wrong" in that there was no conspiracy by the Big 12, the refs or anyone else. Conspiracy theories about refs is just something fans whine about on message boards. The idea that something like that would go on in the real world is frankly, hysterical, when the very, very simple explanation is that college officials are roundly awful all the time.

I mean, fuck; the very next year we literally had a ref crew improperly give Central Michigan an untimed down against us at the end of a game that allowed them to win on a Hail Mary. That's not just making a bad judgement call on holding or whatever, that's an entire officiating crew that didn't know the fucking rules and gave the other team another play when the game was over.  But I guess someone paid them off or whatever... yeah...that's it. That's the only possible explanation... not gross incompetence or anything... 

Yes, let's trust the fans of the team who benefitted from all the egregious calls and non calls to be objective about the situation.

• Hook 'Em 4

13 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

But there was "nothing wrong" in that there was no conspiracy by the Big 12, the refs or anyone else.

2015 was a felony.  This past Saturday clearly showed a conspiracy from the refs as well.  Your team held/interfered the entire game freely.

You're not dumb, just dishonest.

• Hook 'Em 1

Jesus I thought you were trolling.

13 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

But there was "nothing wrong" in that there was no conspiracy by the Big 12, the refs or anyone else.

You have absolutely no way of knowing this. OTOH would you believe me if I said an innocent disparity went your teams direction FOURTEEN FUCKING TIMES IN A ROW.

Dude.

• Hook 'Em 1

These are only a few as I didn't have time to capture all of them/look for all of them. I did screen captures from the video above so you can go and see where they were at and judge for yourself on the holds--but the neutral zone infractions all happened when the ball was snapped. I apologize, didn't have time to make vids/snippets/circle. Just wanted to throw out my two cents. I APOLOGIZE TO THOSE IN ADVANCE hitting the damn play button--these are only images. Didn't have time for vids. Go find it on the video above yourself for confirmation, you lazy bastard 🙂

1818044817_NeutralZone.thumb.png.a9ddb4df73b813fdf31a16932d5cce9c.png1003511860_Neutralzoneinfractionagain.thumb.png.dcd41b7c4acd6267da4b18b0d853c39a.png

There was also the pass on 3rd and 5 that resulted in the UT FG the was overthrown a little was also defensive holding as the receiver was being held/drug down a little as he took his break (which made the pass look worse than it was)

76165931_Holding-passinterferencenotcalledB.thumb.png.8553b404f8b9b0b46b30024b8586da9b.png435403681_Holding-passinterferencenotcalledA.thumb.png.18eec83e622e956be388dbe30090c1bb.png

984697459_Holding-passinterferencenotcalledC.thumb.png.83eb750903a94963a36155e6d33515fc.png

OSU was quick to release the holds--but, like lining up in the neutral zone--the mistakes were there and just not called.

Hold.thumb.png.1c6bcafd24768bde067df068683e33af.png

Sweat is having his sleeve practically ripped off here being held

Hold2.thumb.png.297e9a16da4ca37f1dc05087fe217176.png

Coburn is wrapped up and held for a second as he's going after Sanders

hold3.thumb.png.4d48af28922a03d2fe855b080cfcb80c.png

Hold4.thumb.png.46dab9fe851f779b8f5a6327b4ef66f2.png

Sorrell was held long enough for Sanders to get through the hole

hold7.thumb.png.2ef447e1040150cc7d08ce6a15cfecdf.png

Collins is grabbed and held from under the jersey/shoulder pads

hold8.thumb.png.523df8d76dae3cee7a5209932592e21d.png

1756549136_2holdssameplay.thumb.png.11c6fd9c38facb890cb535130a400159.png

Coburn and Ford both being held

885606672_2holdsverynextplay.thumb.png.e392b59db0a679e8cefbc4049da7b993.png

Hands to the face and holding

1237126393_Handstothefaceandholdonsameplay.thumb.png.ee252fc64e8c19a97541f3c85d944d31.png

On to the next, and hook 'em. 

2 Players lined up in the neutral Zone.png

30 looks to be in the neutral zone again.png

Hold5.png

hold6.png

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

I DO understand why we wouldn't draw as many holding penalties as some other defenses.  We lack any sort of competency from the edge. Because of that position's typical danger to the QB and the ease of seeing a guy at the end of the line get held or turned a goodly number of holding penalties are created by that Edge position, which frankly we suck balls at.  We got called on the hold on the Ewers run precisely because refs are so conditioned to pay attention to the edge and when our guy played it perfect (ok I'm going to let your momentum carry you up the field and then use that momentum to my advantage to plant you on your ass) the ref thinks, "well shit that has to be holding."

That said our interior D line often gets a tremendous amount of push up the field, hence why we tend to have so many "pressures" but not sacks as we make the QB side step into our suck balls non existent edge play where he then calmly completes a pass over the middle.  So I GET holding there is harder to spot, not as likely to be called as often etc, but the idea that it just not happening or can't ever be seen is farcical.