Zero

Vic Mackey

2 minutes ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

the very weak holding call on Ewers 60 yard run.  Wasn't that bad of a hold, that's standard on most plays. 

That's a hold 100% of the time in other conferences.  

But we're just a stupid undisciplined team generally.  Shit, we jumped offsides  two plays in a row, the second one while Sark was screaming at the refs about the first call.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

Just now, Beau Vine said:

But we're just a stupid undisciplined team generally.  Shit, we jumped offsides  two plays in a row, the second one while Sark was screaming at the refs about the first call.

most people here don't think that was a legit flag. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, smoky said:

Let's be technically correct. They were flagged twice but for shit that wouldn't count.

This keeps happening.  Penalties that get declined or offset are not tracked, they never happened.  This game was 14-0 penalties.  How often is there a 14 penalty differential in a game?  1 in a 1000?

20 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

And yet Oklahoma State still committed plenty of infractions they weren’t called for. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Here’s something I don’t understand -

On Cook’s 1H “targeting” penalty, the announcers and (eventually) the refs agreed that it was not targeting. Clearly Cook was just going for a tackle and Sanders dropping down at the last second caused him to miss the target. Still, it was shoulder to shoulder contact.

Why does the unnecessary roughness call stand (by rule) when the call on the field is overturned? 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

On Cook’s 1H “targeting” penalty, the announcers and (eventually) the refs agreed that it was not targeting. Clearly Cook was just going for a tackle and Sanders dropping down at the last second caused him to miss the target. Still, it was shoulder to shoulder contact.

Why does the unnecessary roughness call stand (by rule) when the call on the field is overturned? 

I guess because he was already down?  I don't recall any "by rule."

OSU averages 5 penalties per game this year, a hair better than Texas' 5.3. Navy is the best in the country at 3.4. https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/penalties-per-game

The likelihood of playing a zero penalty game without some kind of fucked up bias is vanishingly slim.

30 minutes ago, Auto Driller said:

12 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I guess because he was already down?  I don't recall any "by rule."

OSU averages 5 penalties per game this year, a hair better than Texas' 5.3. Navy is the best in the country at 3.4. https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/penalties-per-game

The likelihood of playing a zero penalty game without some kind of fucked up bias is vanishingly slim.

I don’t think unnecessary roughness is reviewable. 

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Dvorchek said it was ticky tack. If a DLineman for OU is saying that you know it was bullshit

• Hook 'Em 3

13 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

I said the same thing.    How does this happen?    I’m convinced especially after Bama game and the safety non call the Rig 12 Refs in the booth just make crap up and that’s what they tell the white hat on the field to call.  That’s why their stupid reviews take 10 mins to get down to the field.  

Guys the personal foul play isn't tough.  You can't hit a guy when he is sliding whether you hit his legs, his chest, his dick whatever, once he gives himself up and you hit him it's a personal foul.  It wasn't targeting because he wasn't doing the necessary things to qualify as targeting but yea he hit him....personal foul.

Now I think the QB slide should be outlawed but that is a whole different matter altogether.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Guys the personal foul play isn't tough.  You can't hit a guy when he is sliding whether you hit his legs, his chest, his dick whatever, once he gives himself up and you hit him it's a personal foul.  It wasn't targeting because he wasn't doing the necessary things to qualify as targeting but yea he hit him....personal foul.

Now I think the QB slide should be outlawed but that is a whole different matter altogether.  

Yeah, it's garbage the way it's enforced. The defender was already leaning in and in motion before the QB began the slide. There's no physical way to avoid the hit sometimes... 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

review it and if the defensive guy is in his tackling motion before any attempt at sliding it's no foul. Cook was literally off the ground before that fucker even started to slide

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, hookem48 said:

review it and if the defensive guy is in his tackling motion before any attempt at sliding it's no foul. Cook was literally off the ground before that fucker even started to slide

That's not reviewable by the current rules, at all.  The only thing they reviewed was the targeting.

The offsides and false starts we committed are obvious and stuff like that happens to a road team in a loud stadium.  I would argue a few of the Pass Interference calls on us helped extend drives for OSU that lead to points and those PI calls were BS.  Especially when you look at how the OSU DB's were allowed to be physical with our WR's.  The holding call on Jones was a pancake and not holding and if you are going to call holding on that then OSU should have had at least 50 holding calls during the game (and you probably could have called UT for another 50 holding calls also) but the refs for some reason didn't see any of those.  

• Hook 'Em 4

56 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

It's really just magnified by our 14, of which the vast majority was very much self inflicted and obvious. We've done well this year being disciplined but just fell apart yesterday.

Still zero is just not logical under any scenario in a tight ball game.

The first part of your statement is right on. Eight of the 14 penalties were either offsides or procedure. Texas was flagged 6 times on “judgement calls” like holding and PI.  OSU had zero procedure penalties and was flagged twice for judgment calls (both offensive holding) that were declined.

So it was 6-to-2 on “judgement” flags, which favors OSU but isn’t outlandish. If I were you all, I’d be more upset about 8 procedure type penalties. Those are purely on player discipline. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

6 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

The first part of your statement is right on. Eight of the 14 penalties were either offsides or procedure. Texas was flagged 6 times on “judgement calls” like holding and PI.  OSU had zero procedure penalties and was flagged twice for judgment calls (both offensive holding) that were declined.

So it was 6-to-2 on “judgement” flags, which favors OSU but isn’t outlandish. If I were you all, I’d be more upset about 8 procedure type penalties. Those are purely on player discipline. 

Maybe. But our "two" were pretty inconsequential and at least half of your "six" were seismic, game-altering calls (PI on an uncatchable ball, hold on Ewers' 60-yard run).

48 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

You do realize that if any of us were allowed to be a ref and given 4 calls where we could hurt one team over another we could pretty much get a win for the team we favored if the teams are fairly equal overall.  You can't do it when Alabama plays some D3 school but you take two fairly equal teams and let a ref screw one of them on 3-4 calls and it will change the outcome of a game.  We aren't even talking about "non calls" against OSU that may have killed a few of their scoring drives.  Listen, UT played like shit and most likely could have or would have lost but adding in the ref bias is a really bad look for the Big 12 but it's been that way forever.  I would say enjoy the refs screwing you against OU but since OU is leaving also I guess they won't do that this year.  

16 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

We didn’t jump twice (at least not the time Sark was bitching anyway). We got called for offsides when one of the players running off the field was behind the line of scrimmage. OSU subbed late, and the refs didn’t allow us to sub. Sark had every damn right to be pissed. We jumped the second time, but they called offside the first time instead of too many men in the field because that wouldn’t be reviewable. It was a big fuck you to Texas.

Edited by IDIOTsavant
  • Hook 'Em 3

29 minutes ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

You do realize that if any of us were allowed to be a ref and given 4 calls where we could hurt one team over another we could pretty much get a win for the team we favored if the teams are fairly equal overall.  You can't do it when Alabama plays some D3 school but you take two fairly equal teams and let a ref screw one of them on 3-4 calls and it will change the outcome of a game.  We aren't even talking about "non calls" against OSU that may have killed a few of their scoring drives.  Listen, UT played like shit and most likely could have or would have lost but adding in the ref bias is a really bad look for the Big 12 but it's been that way forever.  I would say enjoy the refs screwing you against OU but since OU is leaving also I guess they won't do that this year.  

Sure.

But I watch a lot of college football games. I see terrible, inconsistent officiating in practically every one of them.  Did you watch Clemson/Syracuse? There were two completely terrible/inconsistent roughing the QB calls in that game that basically tilted it in favor of Clemson. I’m sure all of the Syracuse message boards today are talking about how the refs are in the tank for Clemson, have a bias, blah, blah, blah.

I’ve heard/read this exact same song and dance from OSU fans when we end up on the shit end of it.

There’s no bias. There’s just terrible officiating every week and sometimes it bites you and sometimes it doesn’t. You just don’t think about it/notice it when it’s not negatively impacting you. Classic confirmation bias.

I do know this - getting 8 (!) procedure/offsides calls is something that is directly in a team’s control. It literally has nothing to do with any ref “bias.”

So I would tend to be more upset about that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 4

10 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Sure.

But I watch a lot of college football games. I see terrible, inconsistent officiating in practically every one of them.  Did you watch Clemson/Syracuse? There were two completely terrible/inconsistent roughing the QB calls in that game that basically tilted it in favor of Clemson. I’m sure all of the Syracuse message boards today are talking about how the refs are in the tank for Clemson, have a bias, blah, blah, blah.

I’ve heard/read this exact same song and dance from OSU fans when we end up on the shit end of it.

There’s no bias. There’s just terrible officiating every week and sometimes it bites you and sometimes it doesn’t. You just don’t think about it/notice it when it’s not negatively impacting you. Classic confirmation bias.

I do know this - getting 8 (!) procedure/offsides calls is something that is directly in a team’s control. It literally has nothing to do with any ref “bias.”

There may be a bias for Clemson to win by those refs (I really have no idea) but yes they were horrible calls so maybe incompetence was the culprit.  Do you honestly chalk up OSU not having one penalty all game as just bad officiating?  

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Sure.

Have you ever seen a ref call a kick/punt back because they said the receiver called for a fair catch - but the receiver did no such thing?  Texas has.

• Hook 'Em 1

Was listening to the radio call with the TV muted and I will be honest, hearing the coin flipping ref address Sanders by his first name gave me pause and Craig Way and his sidekick caught it too.  The sidekick said something like "Well at least he didn't call him Spence".  Way was pretty salty about the officiating, more than I recall him being generally.

• Hook 'Em 2

The early PI on Watts was a joke. He played perfect coverage, tried to turn his head to make play (not that it matters since face guarding isn't a penalty), and The WR just grabbed him from behind. OPI if anything, but nope!

On the endzone replay angle of that big 53 yard run that led to a TD, there was a clear as day shot of an Olineman behind our player with two fistfuls of jersey, preventing him from making an easy tackle.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1