2023 F Ron Holland

OB3

On 4/30/2023 at 8:50 PM, RichUT said:

Name one other school in the same spot that has refused to grant a kid from his NLI. I don’t think you can, and that’s because it’s recruiting suicide. Other programs would have a heyday if we did that.

I’ve seen several with this sentiment, and I just don’t follow it. Is it really unreasonable to expect a guy to honor his commitment once he’s already signed? It’s not like he didn’t have ample opportunity to rethink his decision before. For that matter, you don’t actually have to sign one at all. And it’s not like he wouldn’t have other options if he really didn’t want to come here-go play overseas or in the G league or sit for a year.

I don’t know. I just don’t see how it’s “recruiting suicide” to suffer the consequences of your own actions.

I’ve seen several with this sentiment, and I just don’t follow it. Is it really unreasonable to expect a guy to honor his commitment once he’s already signed? It’s not like he didn’t have ample opportunity to rethink his decision before. For that matter, you don’t actually have to sign one at all. And it’s not like he wouldn’t have other options if he really didn’t want to come here-go play overseas or in the G league or sit for a year.
I don’t know. I just don’t see how it’s “recruiting suicide” to suffer the consequences of your own actions.

I doubt that I’ll be able to convince you otherwise then. Just understand that every other school in this situation has released the player from their NLI. For us to take a hard line stance would separate us from every other program in a negative way. We don’t want the reputation of being the school that keeps kids tied to the program against their wishes.

2 hours ago, RichUT said:

I doubt that I’ll be able to convince you otherwise then. Just understand that every other school in this situation has released the player from their NLI. For us to take a hard line stance would separate us from every other program in a negative way. We don’t want the reputation of being the school that keeps kids tied to the program against their wishes.

"We're the program that forced a kid to sit out rather than play where he wanted" is not a good recruiting pitch

• 4 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I’m surprised in the age of NIL we were somehow money whipped by a G League team. If he didn’t want to play school, Texas has their share of blowoff classes he and his assigned tutor could have taken together. 

Considering we lost 2 guys to the G League, Texas is not going to pay those rates ($500k+) for basketball.  Yet.

4 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Fuck Arkansas, but their fans are uber pissed.

WTF? They're fucking furious.  He was never even committed there.  If anyone should be pissed it's us.  He was committed here, signed here, lobbied for Terry to get the job only to bounce later.  He burned us.  He didn't do shit to them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1. Arkansas so full of shit and I’m glad Ron screwed them over just like us. Without them using Peavy as a middle man and making crazy offers, Ron is on campus at Texas today. 
2. The fans need to be mad at Peavy. He put this together and got Ron to verbally agree to Arkansas. Ron to Arkansas been a done deal to the Arkansas coaching staff. They just were waiting on the NLI release. They actually encouraged him to visit GLeague to make it look like it wasn’t a straight Arkansas flip/tampering. Back fired on them. Guess Peavy doesn’t have the pull he thinks he does. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

1. Arkansas so full of shit and I’m glad Ron screwed them over just like us. Without them using Peavy as a middle man and making crazy offers, Ron is on campus at Texas today. 
2. The fans need to be mad at Peavy. He put this together and got Ron to verbally agree to Arkansas. Ron to Arkansas been a done deal to the Arkansas coaching staff. They just were waiting on the NLI release. They actually encouraged him to visit GLeague to make it look like it wasn’t a straight Arkansas flip/tampering. Back fired on them. Guess Peavy doesn’t have the pull he thinks he does. 

...who's Peavy?

31 minutes ago, FreeHorn said:

Was thinking the Arkie bitterness sounds like they lost a lot of bank and time on Holland.