2023 F Ron Holland

OB3

10 hours ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Man, this dude is gonna be such a freak of nature when he arrives. Can play defense and offense. Hope Mitchell stays to go along with Holland, Morris, Disu, and maybe Hunter (assuming he stays). We could have another really good team. 

I hope Brumbaugh sticks around too. Dude seems like he’s going to be the kind of thorn in your eye type of player for us that normally ends up at KU or WV and kills us or we drool over watching him play for NW or Maryland or something 

• Like 1

On 3/30/2023 at 7:34 AM, Js1 said:

I hope Brumbaugh sticks around too. Dude seems like he’s going to be the kind of thorn in your eye type of player for us that normally ends up at KU or WV and kills us or we drool over watching him play for NW or Maryland or something 

I think Gerry said he expects him to stick around, so that's a good sign. And I agree, dude seems like he's going to be a good one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NashLonghorn said:

So it isn’t coaches anymore, it’s a “legal” bidding war.  Makes sense. 🤑  Do we have anyone left?   That’s 2 in the last month. 

No high school recruits. Going to be like Beard's first year where he got a bunch of transfers and Jaylen Tyson who never played.

21 hours ago, RichUT said:

Coaching change gives him the ability to be released from his NLI.

I don't think that's correct:

"Is an NLI binding if the coach of my sport leaves the institution?

Yes. The NLI you signed with an institution remains binding if the coach who recruited you leaves the institution with which you signed. When you sign an NLI, you sign with an institution and not with a coach or a specific team."

NLI Binding Agreement FAQs (nationalletter.org)

8 minutes ago, RGBIII said:

No. He’s going pro I’m sure. NIL wasn’t an issue

This was Zay Collier’s argument on 104.9. He said that the hype around Holland had intensified with his all-star game performances, and he’s hearing from NBA scouts and tweeters that he’s headed for a high lottery pick in 2024, maybe No. 1 overall. And he probably sees players like Dillon Mitchell, also regarded as a potential high pick out of high school, struggle to adapt their games to the more-restrictive college system their freshman years, which might hurt their draft stock. So with all that Holland is likely pulling out of college altogether, and will go G League to immediately work on his NBA game. With that explanation, Zay sounded pretty confident that this move was an NBA decision, and not about Texas or Rodney Terry. Still sucks, but a reflection on our program.

I’m not sure I’m buying it until I see it happen. But it’s not an unreasonable take.

I think that maybe true but then why did he say I’m re-opening my recruitment and Texas can still recruit me? Why not just say “I’m going pro”. You don’t decommit to ponder or figure out what you’re doing, you do ponder and figure it out then declare on Twitter you’re out. So he’s obviously decided he’s out at Texas just not sure why he wouldn’t say he’s going pro like anyone else has done when bypassing college.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I think that maybe true but then why did he say I’m re-opening my recruitment and Texas can still recruit me? Why not just say “I’m going pro”. You don’t decommit to ponder or figure out what you’re doing, you do ponder and figure it out then declare on Twitter you’re out. So he’s obviously decided he’s out at Texas just not sure why he wouldn’t say he’s going pro like anyone else has done when bypassing college.

Good question.  Maybe Zay was just wishcasting after hearing the news without reading Holland’s quotes. I heard this on Friday afternoon probably within 30 minutes of the news breaking.

8 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

spacer.png

Holland wanted to run the show, Terry said no.

This is where Barnes would have caved and sealed the signature of a 1-and-done and had a disappointing season.

Barnes’ teams were always better when he did not have a “Diaper Dandy”, to quote Dick Vitale.

• Like 1

If true it means Holland was either looking for an excuse to walk away, or he's actually looking for a coach who's desperate enough to give a true freshman carte blanche. If it's the latter, that could put tech or aggy in play. Possibly others.

I would look out for Ron next year in the portal, if he doesn't go pro. Ultimately, some snake oil salesman coach will make a bunch of promises to Ron to get him signed on. When those promises are inevitably not kept, Ron will jump in the portal with a new skepticism of what coaches will say to get their commitment. RT will have a shot at him at that point.

4 hours ago, Chopper said:

If true it means Holland was either looking for an excuse to walk away, or he's actually looking for a coach who's desperate enough to give a true freshman carte blanche. If it's the latter, that could put tech or aggy in play. Possibly others.

Holland isn’t going to tech or aggy to be wasted, good lord 

He’ll most likely be at Arkansas

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I would look out for Ron next year in the portal, if he doesn't go pro. Ultimately, some snake oil salesman coach will make a bunch of promises to Ron to get him signed on. When those promises are inevitably not kept, Ron will jump in the portal with a new skepticism of what coaches will say to get their commitment. RT will have a shot at him at that point.

Holland isn't playing 2 years in college. 

11 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Holland isn’t going to tech or aggy to be wasted, good lord 

He’ll most likely be at Arkansas

Assuming the report is true that he's making crazy demands for pt and the roles he wants on-court, you can make the argument he'll be "wasted" (I would say disappointing) whichever wasteland school he chooses, including pig.

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

So, let's say he goes to Arkansas tomorrow.  Muss has 10 more days with the portal open.  What if someone emerges that would take minutes or occupy part of the role "promised" to Holland?  Maybe it's that guys like Muss and Beard are able to feather it or whatever to keep guys content and motivated, and RT doesn't do that, either by choice or capability?

Not shitting on RT here by any means, but basketball is some dirty, dirty business. Some coaches are more willing (and able) to play the dirtiest part of the game.

But the one and done, 5-star fuckery we are witnessing is tired and done.  The only 5-stars we should pursue going forward is if they have a legacy connection or other circumstance and the "want to" play at Texas is a more significant component of the  recruitment.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Chopper said:

Assuming the report is true that he's making crazy demands for pt and the roles he wants on-court, you can make the argument he'll be "wasted" (I would say disappointing) whichever wasteland school he chooses, including pig.

With the tournament success Arkansas has had the last several years, he wouldn’t be wasted there. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Name one other school in the same spot that has refused to grant a kid from his NLI. I don’t think you can, and that’s because it’s recruiting suicide. Other programs would have a heyday if we did that.

Beyond that, he could appeal and I’m sure the NCAA would let him out due to the coaching change. Players have the leverage here. I get that people wish they didn’t, but that’s just how it works.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Pancho said:

With the tournament success Arkansas has had the last several years, he wouldn’t be wasted there. 

3 hours ago, Magus Ossis said:

If I am reading correctly, the current sentiment is

F Ron Holland.

Not completely my sentiment but my question is based on accepting that the report that Holland is making absurd demands for playing time and for what he's going to be doing on the floor, to the extent that it's unacceptable to our head coach. If the report is true sure F Ron Holland, and (again accepting the report as true) that seems to be RT's pov as well. If Holland were going to be a team player at Texas he wouldn't be wasted here either.

Edited by Chopper