Boardshorts/trunks

Anyone have a good line on quality boardshorts at a reasonable price?  One issue I have is I have a long torso and short legs, proportionately.  20" boardshorts make me look like I'm wearing knickers.  Not looking for John Stockton style shorts, but maybe not quite as long as is the standard.  And I hate elastic waistbands.

20 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Anyone have a good line on quality boardshorts at a reasonable price?  One issue I have is I have a long torso and short legs, proportionately.  20" boardshorts make me look like I'm wearing knickers.  Not looking for John Stockton style shorts, but maybe not quite as long as is the standard.  And I hate elastic waistbands.

Just get yourself a sweet pair of jorts and be done with it.

3 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Around early May i just cut off the legs from an old pair of jeans and just wear those for the summer. never wash them just let them dry on the deck. works perfect for the summer but Im a little redneck

200.gif

• Haha 1

birdwells are the obvious answer (i too grew up in those and tiddies from the original pasadena/shaver rd shop).  they're $80 but should last.  i also wait for sales on the penguin bathing suits - they fit the length description you laid out, have a tie front (no elastic) and dry quickly.  i have 3 pair and i got all of them for less than $20-25 each.

57 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I have the hyperfreaks, but they are super long on me.  I feel like Payne Stewart.

They have some that are 19" out-seem, but I don't want my head dangling out all the time... /surly

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, captained said:

birdwells are the obvious answer (i too grew up in those and tiddies from the original pasadena/shaver rd shop).  they're $80 but should last.  i also wait for sales on the penguin bathing suits - they fit the length description you laid out, have a tie front (no elastic) and dry quickly.  i have 3 pair and i got all of them for less than $20-25 each.

Birdwells will last forever...  but that's kinda the problem... the material is like canvas and polyester had child raised on nails and iron shore....  The hulk couldn't break that shit...  after 10 years or so they start to break in...kinda

also this

Spoiler

im-all-we-can-i-come-in-255.jpg?quality=

• Like 1

1 hour ago, captained said:

Those penguins look legit.  Will explore.

3 hours ago, bluto said:

While we're talking swimwear, wtf happened to swimsuits that dried quickly? Swear every pair I had growing up would be dry within 5 minutes after getting out

No kidding. Bought a pair online year before last and they're like sponges. Don't remember the brand but wtf man.

You guys are overthinking this. I’ve owned two pair of board shorts in the last 15 years. Bought the first on my honeymoon in some touristy shop at a resort, no idea what brand they are.  They are still in great shape but fit a little tight so I bought a pair one size bigger, the first set i found after a 30 second search, at Academy for $12 or so a couple years ago.  No elastic, no weird fit issues, they dry quick... what more are you getting by shopping brand specific shorts?  

• Like 1

Well, great board shorts shed water and are super comfy.  For me the new 4way stretch suits are so much better.  The Hyperfreaks are the best most comfortable suits I've ever put on.   On sale for $30.  Just some of the best money you'll spend if you spend time on the water.

i will say stem of the new hydrophobic suits feel like plastic bags when "wet"...  don't recommend 

On 6/14/2018 at 11:16 AM, Sbbruin said:

Dude,  just get the ones you like then take them to the same tailor that  alters your jerseys.  You do have a jersey tailor right? 

You guys are overthinking this. I’ve owned two pair of board shorts in the last 15 years. Bought the first on my honeymoon in some touristy shop at a resort, no idea what brand they are.  They are still in great shape but fit a little tight so I bought a pair one size bigger, the first set i found after a 30 second search, at Academy for $12 or so a couple years ago.  No elastic, no weird fit issues, they dry quick... what more are you getting by shopping brand specific shorts?  
Was going to say this. I've essentially worn one pair of some random brand for the past ten years. My BIL always gives me shit for not 'upgrading' which of course makes me never want to buy another pair.

Well that's cool.  How often do you wear them?   I'm in the water/beach twice a week...  probably have 3 suits that I switch between, and the oldest is usually ragged out.  My grandmother used to buy us a bathing suit each year for easter (for the up coming summer)... so keep that tradition and I change one out each year. ezpz

As for style, I'm an 80's throw back kinda guy, so I don't upgrade for the latest "look".

Edited by Loco

I bought some hang ten stuff on clearance at kohls a few years ago but they apparently don't have it anymore.

This isn't too bad:

https://www.ae.com/men-ae-all-day-short-pink/web/s-prod/0133_6616_615?cm=sUS-cUSD&catId=cat8510052

0133_6616_615_f?$cat-main_large$

and for other choices in the same collection:

https://www.ae.com/men-swim-board-shorts/web/s-cat/7250013?icid=Aerie:SHP:Sec7:Men:Bottom:SwimAndBoardShorts:ShopSwim:PROMO

Never tried them but the prices seem reasonable.