MLS 2023

Jerry Callo

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

This crowd is lit.

Was this match moved to College Station?

2 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

So this means Messi has won trophies on 4 continents now right?

If Diego isn’t the manager in 2010, perhaps that number could have been 5. But Diego left off Zanetti & Cambiaso and Germany in the quarterfinals happened.  🤬

1 hour ago, The Dog said:

That was kind of awesome.

I missed it. 

Still haven’t bought Apple+ and didn’t go to a friend’s.

Perhaps an Apple+ 7-day trial for tonight’s match would have been worth it. 

3 hours ago, Captain Ron said:

So  I just pulled up the bracket for the US Open Cup

Houston vs Real Salt Lake
and 
FC Cinci vs Inter Miami

These games are tonight. Final Sept 27.

Correct!

If Miami & Houston win, the final is in Miami.

If Miami & SLC win, the final is in SLC.

Don’t know where the games are if Miami loses. (Max Bretos didn’t mention the locations for these IF/THEN inputs.)

Two things:

1. I don’t see how Miami wins this. Cincinnati is too cohesive of a team.

2. This is absolutely CBS sports selling paramount+ as a soccer platform. Look at all the news across the bottom and the sale price too. 

WTF?!?!  I don’t know what the rep is watching there that defender pulled the inter Miami player down. That wasn’t in the box, but that gave Messi a shot. 

5 minutes ago, Jerry Callo said:

2. Watching Messi walk around like an old man is hilarious.

1 minute ago, Captain Ron said:

OH MY GOD!!!

Nice assist by Messi.

EVERYONE is walking around like old men. 
IMG_6616.thumb.jpeg.f798d748e0f1f83f66d38e1f8bc9e139.jpeg

IMG_6617.thumb.jpeg.23f87b0aafd1d95e10439702e4120084.jpeg

Apparently it is a bit warm for a soccer match. 

HEAT INDEX of 90° at the end of the match. What was it at the start of the match?

Josef Martinez (Miami) with a nutmeg goal early in overtime (ET) to take the lead 3-2.

Miami has made 6 subs (1 extra allowed for ET) and they still look gassed. 

Cincinnati had made 5 subs, so they still have one to use…. I think, unless they have used their windows. 

Miami has now won 5 games and tied 3 games since Messi & friends have arrived.

This is fine in knockout tournaments, but that’s not going to cut it when the season starts up again and Messi has two different international windows that he will be out for. 

Leo’s PK… made it. 

He’s on a pretty good roll since missing one early in the World Cup.

10 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Miami has now won 5 games and tied 3 games since Messi & friends have arrived.

This is fine in knockout tournaments, but that’s not going to cut it when the season starts up again and Messi has two different international windows that he will be out for. 

Leo’s PK… made it. 

He’s on a pretty good roll since missing one early in the World Cup.

Play To Win New York Jets GIF

they are winning games. 

i really like Cremaschi, I know he's been called for youth duty for ARG but I wonder if he has any interest with the Nats.

Ah, i see he's been called by both

International career[edit]

Born in the United States, Cremaschi is of Argentine descent and is thus eligible to represent either country.[5] He was called up to the United States under-19s for their winning campaign at the Slovenia Nations Cup in September 2022.[6] He was called up to a training camp for the United States under-20s in October 2022 to prepare for the 2023 FIFA U-20 World Cup.[7] On December 7, 2022, he was called up to the Argentina under-20s for a training camp in anticipation of the 2023 South American U-20 Championship.[8]

Edited by Bottlecap

9 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

i really like Cremaschi, I know he's been called for youth duty for ARG but I wonder if he has any interest with the Nats.

Ah, i see he's been called by both

Yep.

6 minutes ago, Captain Ron said:

If he has a chance play for Argentina, I wouldn’t hold my breath. 

😳

1) He’s not ready for either national team, so he shouldn’t make a move either way. He’s already played for the USA 🇺🇸 (Slovenia Nations Cup), but that doesn’t sound like anything that would tie him to the US. Don’t know. 

If it doesn’t tie him to the US, he can play for either team and then switch later if he wants. 

I don’t know if Argentina qualified for the Olympics, but if I were Benjamin, I would try to play in the Olympics next year and maybe get into the U-20 World Cup in 2025 (he’s eligible) and then make my decision. 

But if Messi tells him that he wants him on the team for WC ‘26 qualifiers, it would be extremely difficult to say “No” to that.  Cremaschi has already mentioned in interviews that Messi has talked to him about possibly playing for Argentina. 

2) Andres Cantor pronounces “Cremaschi” like an Argentine who knows that it is an Italian last name.

The “ch” is a “k”.

The “s” is swallowed with only a slight exhale letting you know that it exists, because most of Argentina swallows an “s” that flows into a consonant. 

España = Ayhh-paña

Busco = Boohh-ko

Esquina = Ayhh-keena

Cremaschi = Kraymahh-kee 

2 hours ago, shnsajax said:

So basically over a 6-7 week period Miami could tie FC Dallas trophies won in franchise history. 

I think that I thought that FC Dallas only had 1.

Just saw on ESPN a bit ago that someone on Inter Miami has 14 goal contributions (goals + assists) in 31 games this season. 

Messi is tied with Josef Martinez with 13 goal contributions.

Martinez needed 31 games.

Messi needed 8 games.

6 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Looks like the US Open Cup will be in Miami.

IMG_6623.thumb.png.f644118a190f22281b90c62e19a1fa10.png

Weird. I just looked at the final score, 3-1. But RSL was already down a man at this point, with Vera drawing a second yellow.

whatever

6 hours ago, shnsajax said:

So basically over a 6-7 week period Miami could tie FC Dallas trophies won in franchise history. 

Here’s the real question: Miami is 14 points off the the final playoff spot with 12 to play. Can they make that up and get in the playoffs?

I think i heard somewhere, maybe Sirius FC, that they predict IM needs 23 points out of a possible 33 points (11 games) to make the playoffs. With fatigue being a factor (5 matches in the last 18 days, ), i think they'll fall short.  

Then again, I've counted MIA with Messi out before to my peril.

Here is the bottom of the table for the MLS East:

image.png.c841fedb44618f2f06fdcdc0666a3183.png

There is enough of a gap from 8 to 7 that we can stop here. It's not just making up 14 points, but also needing to jump 6 teams as well.

Miami's MLS schedule the rest of the way:

8/26 @ NY Red Bulls
8/30 vs Nashville
9/3 @ LAFC
9/9 vs Sporting KC
9/16 @ Atlanta United
9/20 vs Toronto
9/24 @ Orlando City
9/30 vs New York City
10/4 @ Chicago 
10/7 vs Cincinnati
10/21 @ Charlotte

TBD: vs Charlotte - this was their game in hand from the Leagues Cup

key dates:

9/4-12 and 10/9-17 - the two international breaks (Sporting KC game is in the first)
9/27 - US OPEN CUP FINAL

They get chances to play all of them, but DC, and have two against Charlotte. 

I can see a number of paths to 24 points. The question is can they do it?

Watched those highlights at Austin FC halftime.   Cremaschi is legit.  Amazing pass by Messi but Cremaschi smart enough to one time it back to Messi.  

Busquets had some life tonight as well.  And Yedlin has been really good too in the games I’ve watched. 

Edited by A-Tex Devil

1 hour ago, shnsajax said:

Miami was the worst team in the league before Messi and now this.

https://x.com/rogbennett/status/1695610512497676409?s=46&t=ftNbsVe_YN81I93zpcKswg

That is pure 100% Harlem Globetrotters vs the Washington Generals shit right there.

1 hour ago, A-Tex Devil said:

Watched those highlights at Austin FC halftime.   Cremaschi is legit.  Amazing pass by Messi but Cremaschi smart enough to one time it back to Messi.  

Busquets had some life tonight as well.  And Yedlin has been really good too in the games I’ve watched. 

1) You know that when in doubt, get the ball to Leo.

2a) Messi was already visibly breaking to the front of goal before Cremaschi got to the ball.

AND

2b) Being so close to the goal, the defender thought to “Block the shot!”… which left a beautiful, wide open space between his legs to return the ball to Messi. 

This shows Cremaschi to have very good vision, as well as a good understanding of how to take advantage of defenders’ tendencies. 

I never even knew to play the ball through a player’s legs, much less how to time setting up the defender while running with the ball. (Was never exposed to good coaching or high level play.)

Cremaschi is coming along very nicely. 

BONUS: Jordi Alba’s soft touch on that bicycle pass is slightly above the typical MLS LB’s pay grade.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

That is pure 100% Harlem Globetrotters vs the Washington Generals shit right there.

1) You know that when in doubt, get the ball to Leo.

2a) Messi was already visibly breaking to the front of goal before Cremaschi got to the ball.

AND

2b) Being so close to the goal, the defender thought to “Block the shot!”… which left a beautiful, wide open space between his legs to return the ball to Messi. 

This shows Cremaschi to have very good vision, as well as a good understanding of how to take advantage of defenders’ tendencies. 

I never even knew to play the ball through a player’s legs, much less how to time setting up the defender while running with the ball. (Was never exposed to good coaching or high level play.)

Cremaschi is coming along very nicely. 

BONUS: Jordi Alba’s soft touch on that bicycle pass is slightly above the typical MLS LB’s pay grade.

Messi's first turn away from goal from Alba's pass was no joke either. The entire sequence was just perfect. 

On 8/24/2023 at 10:20 AM, Captain Ron said:

Here is the bottom of the table for the MLS East:

image.png.c841fedb44618f2f06fdcdc0666a3183.png

There is enough of a gap from 8 to 7 that we can stop here. It's not just making up 14 points, but also needing to jump 6 teams as well.

Miami's MLS schedule the rest of the way:

8/26 @ NY Red Bulls
8/30 vs Nashville
9/3 @ LAFC
9/9 vs Sporting KC
9/16 @ Atlanta United
9/20 vs Toronto
9/24 @ Orlando City
9/30 vs New York City
10/4 @ Chicago 
10/7 vs Cincinnati
10/21 @ Charlotte

TBD: vs Charlotte - this was their game in hand from the Leagues Cup

key dates:

9/4-12 and 10/9-17 - the two international breaks (Sporting KC game is in the first)
9/27 - US OPEN CUP FINAL

They get chances to play all of them, but DC, and have two against Charlotte. 

I can see a number of paths to 24 points. The question is can they do it?

They entered yesterday dead last (15th) and 14 points from the playoffs. They are now 14th and 11 points from the final playoff spot.

One thing I missed in this analysis is that they have games in hand on everyone else at the bottom of the table. It’s a mix of 1-3 games depending on the team.