RIP Burt Bacharach

Brandywine

94. I know a lot of people call his music elevator music, bubble gum, but he created, along with Hal David, some of the most loved songs for many generations. Austin Powers kind of brought his music back to main stream, but I don't think it ever left really. He'll be missed. What's your favorite Bacharach song?

Where to start?  The dude was prolific.

Close to You, Walk on By, What the World Needs Now is Love, I Say a Little Prayer (I prefer Aretha's version over Dionne), One Less Bell to Answer, This Guy's In Love With You, Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head, Arthur's Theme.

I read somewhere that a number of vocalists who sang his songs remarked about how difficult they were to sing because of the unusual arrangements which were so different than most popular music at the time.

RIP Burt.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I know who is from Austin Powers, but my first reaction was "I don't know any Burt Bacharach songs", then I looked as his Wikipedia page and the list of songs he wrote.  Oh, I know that, and that, and that... {repeat}

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_songs_written_by_Burt_Bacharach

He first charted on the US pop chart in 1958 and for the last time in 1994. That's a 37 year span.

And he was married to Angie Dickinson in her prime.   The guy lived life to it's fullest. RIP.

First off, yet again, the big names keep “coming off the board” of my lifetime. Mortality is real.  RIP, Mr.Bacharach.

Second, I’ve not read through the entire “Greatest American Songwriter” thread, but he’s got to me mentioned; no?

3 hours ago, South Austin said:

I Say a Little Prayer

This is the answer.

(I prefer Aretha's version over Dionne)

And this is the answer.

Bacharach was the equal (or superio) to Brian Wilson when it comes to harmonic craft and arrangement in pop music.  A literal genius.  SO many great songs.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Just listened to snippets of each song that I didn’t know…

Ummm…

Luther Vandross is absolutely awful. Unlisten-to-able (if that’s a word) to the point that you may want to smash whatever is playing his music.

R.I.P. Burt, I now realize why I mostly know him from Austin Powers.