Heads up!

Deej

The Austin Police Department said it is investigating a death allegedly caused by a falling object from a high-rise construction project in the West Campus neighborhood.

An APD incident report said a call for a deceased person came in to dispatch around 8:30 p.m. Thursday, March 2, in the 2400 block of Rio Grande Street.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/man-killed-by-falling-construction-debris-near-ut-austin-campus-apd-investigating/

When I was in the field, one of the carpenters working about 4 stories above dropped his hammer and it landed about 3’ from where I was standing.

I consider myself lucky. If it hit my shoulder, it probably would have broken my collar bone. Even if it hit my hard hat, it would have been a good size headache. I can’t imagine if I was looking up at that moment.

My current company has adopted hard hats that look like climbing helmets. They don’t come off if you fall, and had a visor to protect the face from anything coming at my head. 

Edited by Superhero
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Superhero said:

When I was in the field, one of the carpenters working about 4 stories above dropped his hammer and it landed about 3’ from where I was standing.

I hope you walked up to him at lunch break, took a swig of his coke and a bite of his sandwich, then just said "WHAT." And stood there.