Mick Mars lawsuit vs. Crue

Gil Bang

11 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

But there’s no denying their groove as a band

On the records yes. In terms of them actually playing, I will categorically deny they groove. They are fucking horrid. And I say that as someone that will groove to their old records.

Here is a dump of Micks IEMs from a year or so ago. He is grooving pretty good but listen to Vince. Fucking yikes. The one time I saw them Nikki was equally as bad though you can't hear him in this mix.

On the records yes. In terms of them actually playing, I will categorically deny they groove. They are fucking horrid. And I say that as someone that will groove to their old records.

Here is a dump of Micks IEMs from a year or so ago. He is grooving pretty good but listen to Vince. Fucking yikes. The one time I saw them Nikki was equally as bad though you can't hear him in this mix.

Fair. Last time I saw them live was 1990.

Man, all I hear is a hi-hat click, Mick, and a tiny bit of Vince.  I couldn't judge anything off that feed.

I've definitely seen enough clips of modern Vince to know he can't sing any more, but that IEM mix doesn't really prove it.  The click is annoying as hell, but necessary, I suppose.  It's too bad they can't just play to Tommy Lee (for whatever reason).

5 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I have no idea what the contracts say that govern this business arrangement.

But what I do know is the reason Motley Crue was more successful that pretty much all the other hair metal bands is that their songs had a serious groove going on. And that was all Mick. He was a hell of a player and writer in that regard. I’m still not sure if Tommy Lee helped or if Mick did it inspite of him. I’m probably of the camp that Tommy was an OK drummer and didn’t fuck up the groove but Mick really drove it.

Groove is everything in rock/pop/blues etc music. Tunes without groove are like the coolest concept restaurant where the food is just meh; they just don’t connect. At all.

I was never a huge Crue fan back in the day. But they were always kind of a guilty pleasure. Because the songs fucking grooved.

Mick was the perfect guitar player for that band at that time. Spiritually speaking, they owe him a ton. Too bad they can’t work it out. But that’s how it often goes I guess.

See "STILLS, STEPHEN"

11 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, all I hear is a hi-hat click, Mick, and a tiny bit of Vince.  I couldn't judge anything off that feed.

I've definitely seen enough clips of modern Vince to know he can't sing any more, but that IEM mix doesn't really prove it.  The click is annoying as hell, but necessary, I suppose.  It's too bad they can't just play to Tommy Lee (for whatever reason).

I mean, I can hear Vince pretty clearly, and Tommy on the harder hits.

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

I mean, I can hear Vince pretty clearly, and Tommy on the harder hits.

Eh, I just llistened farther, heard a Tommy fill (still drowned by the click), and while I know Vince can't sing any more, if ever, it's pretty thin and down low in that headphone feed.  I wouldn't judge him on that alone.  Volume + reverb/slapback gets you a long way on vocals.

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Eh, I just llistened farther, heard a Tommy fill (still drowned by the click), and while I know Vince can't sing any more, if ever, it's pretty thin and down low in that headphone feed.  I wouldn't judge him on that alone.  Volume + reverb/slapback gets you a long way on vocals.

I'm judging the shit out of him. He is literally just half assed talking. He sounds identical to when I saw them about 10 years ago.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/8/2023 at 12:16 PM, G650 said:

Believe it or not, I'm actually not a Crue hater. But there are two truths. First, every album since Feelgood is a fucking abomination. Second, Vince Neil can't sing and Nikki Sixx can't play bass.

All this is true.  I was a Crue fan in my 80s childhood days, and in addition to the stuff I listened to back then that is classic and timeless and still regularly plays in my car (e.g., Springsteen, U2, Petty, etc.), I also listened to a lot of crap that was a product of the era.  And while Feelgood was pretty good, but by no means any masterpiece, it came out right around the time that I, and most of the musical consumer collective, was done with that genre. 

On 4/8/2023 at 12:16 PM, G650 said:

They are a wildly different band then say Poison though. Not even close.

Maybe different, but I think Poison ages just as well as Motley Crue.  I've listened to a Poison tune every now and again, and like Crue, much of it is cringey, musically and lyrically. 

On 4/10/2023 at 7:44 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Oh I judged plenty off of that feed. Especially right there at the beginning. 

Edited by Kennythetiger
can’t spell

Yikes

What bothers me more about the IEM mix for Mick is the fact that he's not listening to the band at all.  It's just the click and his guitar.  He obviously knows the songs, he won't get off the rails, but there is near 100% isolation between him and the rest of the band.  He might as well be on a Zoom call.

I can only assume the rest of the band has the same self-dominant mix.  What a pathetic excuse for a live performance.  Just play the recordings and be done with it.  Whatever happened to listening to your mates and feeding off that energy . . . and (bear with me here) maybe actually going with the flow and improvising now and again?

Yeesh.  Total fucking money grab.

On 4/12/2023 at 12:41 PM, jimmyjazz said:

What bothers me more about the IEM mix for Mick is the fact that he's not listening to the band at all.  It's just the click and his guitar.  He obviously knows the songs, he won't get off the rails, but there is near 100% isolation between him and the rest of the band.  He might as well be on a Zoom call.

I can only assume the rest of the band has the same self-dominant mix.  What a pathetic excuse for a live performance.  Just play the recordings and be done with it.  Whatever happened to listening to your mates and feeding off that energy . . . and (bear with me here) maybe actually going with the flow and improvising now and again?

Yeesh.  Total fucking money grab.

I would kinda assume that a band like Motley Crue is one of those that at this point actually have a crazy low stage volume.  Empty amp cabs, playing through modelers, in ear mix is what you hear. But, it’s also possible that it’s loud AF on stage and he doesn’t need anything but that in his ears.