Austin Credit Unions

Does it have to be in Austin?  It’s probably been 20 years since I had a bank that has a branch in Austin.  

Most credit unions have shared branch partners you can conduct business in if you actually need the brick and mortar building. 
On the rare occasion, I need to deposit cash or deposit a check that’s larger than the mobile app can handle, I do it at a local UFCU since they parted with my work CU from Dallas.  

used RBFCU, UFCU, and Austin Telco.  All three were good, but I would rank them

1.RBFCU - best mix of customer service, access and rates

2. UFCU - solid all round options, tended to higher rates, great access

3. Austin Telco - lowest rates, good customer service, bad online and app access, slower transactions

43 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

used RBFCU, UFCU, and Austin Telco.  All three were good, but I would rank them

1.RBFCU - best mix of customer service, access and rates

2. UFCU - solid all round options, tended to higher rates, great access

3. Austin Telco - lowest rates, good customer service, bad online and app access, slower transactions

I have Austin Telco. I've been happy with them but their VISA debit card sucks. I use it for business purchases and it fails a good percentage of the time. I then have to call and get the limit raised (not much in medicine costs less than $1000) or verify the out of state transaction. That's fine when I find out about it during bank business hours - Otherwise, I am screwed - I am also screwed when I don't find out until later when a transaction doesn't go through. Like I place an overnight order for medical supplies and then the next day the supplies don't show up.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 hours ago, Horn_Spanker said:

I can't get a human on the phone!  Their telephone menu system is fucking horrible!

What are you trying to do? I don't work for that CU, but at a fairly large one and it's pretty easy to get ahold of someone if you get someone's extension and just call them all the time instead of trying to maneuver a call center. Of course, you'd probably be the only "constant caller" that employee has that's under 65 years old, but it works.

I have Austin Telco. I've been happy with them but their VISA debit card sucks. I use it for business purchases and it fails a good percentage of the time. I then have to call and get the limit raised (not much in medicine costs less than $1000) or verify the out of state transaction. That's fine when I find out about it during bank business hours - Otherwise, I am screwed - I am also screwed when I don't find out until later when a transaction doesn't go through. Like I place an overnight order for medical supplies and then the next day the supplies don't show up.

Good lord man. Just get an Amex and put it on autopay.

I’m premed.

5 hours ago, Bevo said:

Steve Harvey Reaction GIF

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Revolution512 said:

Agreed. Asking for trouble

Every time I use credit, my wife (who is an accountant) runs up it up instead of paying it all off. I think she sees a big number so only pays half. So, I prefer to pay for things immediately. I assume there isn't a way to pay off AMEX as soon as there is a charge and you have to wait for the next billing cycle. That doesn't work for me. Using the VISA debit works financially but I agree that it isn't safe. If I could get my wife to pay off the bill each month a travel card would be a great solution. But she doesn't do it that way and I have less than zero desire to start paying the bills.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2023 at 6:37 PM, Bevo said:

Every time I use credit, my wife (who is an accountant) runs up it up instead of paying it all off. I think she sees a big number so only pays half. So, I prefer to pay for things immediately. I assume there isn't a way to pay off AMEX as soon as there is a charge and you have to wait for the next billing cycle. That doesn't work for me. Using the VISA debit works financially but I agree that it isn't safe. If I could get my wife to pay off the bill each month a travel card would be a great solution. But she doesn't do it that way and I have less than zero desire to start paying the bills.

Take over paying the bills.

I've taken over most of them because of late fees.  Set them up in the app for auto pay and lowered our cable and cell bills.  By moving to verizon the rebates made it free for 8 months and then saving 200 combined cable/cell every month after that.