Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom

jofus

So it's the same engine/game basically? Looks like a big expansion if I'm being honest. 

Interesting that they decided to have the sequel stick with the original switch instead of waiting on the next Nintendo iteration. Maybe they're already working on another one to pair with whatever Nintendo does next. 

I liked BOTW and got like 30-40 hrs in but ended up selling my switch. 

9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

So it's the same engine/game basically? Looks like a big expansion if I'm being honest. 

Interesting that they decided to have the sequel stick with the original switch instead of waiting on the next Nintendo iteration. Maybe they're already working on another one to pair with whatever Nintendo does next. 

I liked BOTW and got like 30-40 hrs in but ended up selling my switch. 

I wanted to like it, just hated the weapon durability so much.

1 minute ago, SimonBolivar said:

I wanted to like it, just hated the weapon durability so much.

How much of a chance did you give it? The durability thing isn't much of a factor once you get rolling. I mean you still have to be conscious of which weapons you're using when, but you're never going to run out of solid weapons. And it's easy to farm good ones. 

This is assuming you don't totally fucking suck at the game. 

36 minutes ago, ztejas said:

How much of a chance did you give it? The durability thing isn't much of a factor once you get rolling. I mean you still have to be conscious of which weapons you're using when, but you're never going to run out of solid weapons. And it's easy to farm good ones. 

This is assuming you don't totally fucking suck at the game. 

Maybe halfway? I wasn't really good at it and I'd be left with few good weapons on bosses and then almost nothing after that. I guess I've become even too casual for Nintendo games, sad.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, SimonBolivar said:

Maybe halfway? I wasn't really good at it and I'd be left with few good weapons on bosses and then almost nothing after that. I guess I've become even too casual for Nintendo games, sad.

Yeah I can see how it would be frustrating for a casual playthrough. Idk. I'm young and have spent thousands of hours playing video games so I think it's hard for me to relate sometimes. I had seen some of the complaints of BOTW being that it was too hard and I just never understood that. The first time I played it was on my little sister's switch while hanging out at my mom's house and in 5 or 6 hours I made it waaaaayyy further than my little sister ever had in probably much more time spent on the game. 

I still think you could easily work around the weapon thing even if you aren't great at the game. But it might take effort at getting better at certain aspects of the game. 

25 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I had seen some of the complaints of BOTW being that it was too hard and I just never understood that.

I think if people just ran up to guardians early in the game and started hacking away with their low level weapons it would be a shitty experience. But I learned after 1-2 deaths to give them a wide berth until I’d significantly leveled up.

Durability was still annoying in that some of my favorite elemental weapons could break after 10 swings at a boss. 

17 hours ago, ztejas said:

Does appear to have some new physics, the crafting, big overworld changes and perhaps some real dungeons.

When first previewed, it looked pretty much like a big DLC but the more we are seeing, the more of a legit game it appears. I think the engine was too popular and just so labor intensive, it was easy to retool it a bit and keep it. 

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

Does appear to have some new physics, the crafting, big overworld changes and perhaps some real dungeons.

When first previewed, it looked pretty much like a big DLC but the more we are seeing, the more of a legit game it appears. I think the engine was too popular and just so labor intensive, it was easy to retool it a bit and keep it. 

I think they've also solved some of the loading issues with a large world map (it was mentioned in an interview a few years ago).  If this is the last Zelda for the current version of the Switch, it'll be a great one to go out on, but the next console will most likely be backwards compatible anyways so it won't be that much of an issue.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If this is the last Zelda for the current version of the Switch,

Probably. It took them, what, 6 years to make this game after BOTW (bc of COVID)? Switch is on year 6 as well. Could def see a new switch in 2-4 years, which would coincide with another Zelda game 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, thunderlounge said:

Quite a few similarities and carryover stuff from BotW.

Korok seeds, that maraca mother fucker, People, places, towers, etc.

Lots of running back and forth, fetch this and that, go tell so and so.

Things learned in BotW will come in handy.

Biggest things that annoy me are the lack of good weapons and no unlimited bombs

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

I wondered what the line was for outside my nearby GameStop... hadn't seen one that was that long in a while.

10 hours ago, Hawndoh said:

Why bother with GameStop?

Waiting outside of GameStop in the early 2000’s for the newest NCAA football drop was a bonding experience. Still have fond memories of lining up and talking about the changes to the newest games. 

So I raise my glass to these Zelda nerds bonding outside a GameStop in 2023. 

35 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

I thought you could make good weapons by combining random shit together to make some kind of freak weapon?

and unlimited bombs were good for puzzle solving in BOTW but did like 2hp of damage. I’m cool with them changing that up. 

The combining thing is kind of a pain in the ass to do, and really hasn't made a huge difference so far in the strength of weapon. I'm not super far in so I'm sure it gets better. There have been times so far in this game where I'm fighting some dudes and completely run out of weapons. That never came close to happening to me in BOTW. 

The bombs in BOTW weren't super strong, but they had lots of uses. Now you have to find the bomb flowers, and for some reason you can only throw them like 7 feet. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

52 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

The combining thing is kind of a pain in the ass to do, and really hasn't made a huge difference so far in the strength of weapon. I'm not super far in so I'm sure it gets better. There have been times so far in this game where I'm fighting some dudes and completely run out of weapons. That never came close to happening to me in BOTW. 

The bombs in BOTW weren't super strong, but they had lots of uses. Now you have to find the bomb flowers, and for some reason you can only throw them like 7 feet. 

Attach them to arrows 

• Hook 'Em 1

I’ve knocked some shit out, mostly shrines and a couple side quests. 4 stamina vessels and 2 heart containers. Also snuck around and unlocked all the towers, so there’s that. Also have the snow tunic set since it’s fucking cold in so many new places.

Sitting on 13 more of the shrine light things, trying to get to 20 or better so I can get a few more heart containers and a couple more stamina vessels before heading off to hit the first mini boss. (Guessing it’s in Hebra, since most people seem to be pointing it in that direction.)

This was fun…

IMG_9520.thumb.jpeg.ec653f4636d79bfbadb19048f83bbe93.jpeg

40 minutes ago, thunderlounge said:

I’ve knocked some shit out, mostly shrines and a couple side quests. 4 stamina vessels and 2 heart containers. Also snuck around and unlocked all the towers, so there’s that. Also have the snow tunic set since it’s fucking cold in so many new places.

Sitting on 13 more of the shrine light things, trying to get to 20 or better so I can get a few more heart containers and a couple more stamina vessels before heading off to hit the first mini boss. (Guessing it’s in Hebra, since most people seem to be pointing it in that direction.)

This was fun…

IMG_9520.thumb.jpeg.ec653f4636d79bfbadb19048f83bbe93.jpeg

I'm the same way. I went to Hebra and met up with the little bird dude and we're all set to go on our mission, but I'm like nah ill go get more hearts and cool weapons first. 

2 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

I'm the same way. I went to Hebra and met up with the little bird dude and we're all set to go on our mission, but I'm like nah ill go get more hearts and cool weapons first. 

Same here. Left that little bitch cryin while I’ve run off for other stuff first.

Ran into a cave looking for a gem for a shrine, found a hinox thing. I’ll be doing that one later. I die enough trying to walk across shit  🙄

1 hour ago, NorthLoop said:

Have you gone down into the chasm's yet? Total shitshow down there. Those infected monsters are brutal. 

I have not. Thought about it once, and decided hell no.

I do like being able to tag a rock onto another weapon to make a rock hammer. So pretty much have one whenever you need one. Handy when slipping through the mountains and caves. And if it breaks (rusty swords seem to be bad for hammers, sturdy branches seem pretty good) you can make a new one pretty quick.

I haven’t killed many foes yet. Only when necessary, or a bat or chuchu. Hit more constructs than anything since they’re in a lot of shrines.