Stanley Cup Playoffs discussion thread — 2023 edition

C-Man

9 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Wow, that series winning goal by Carolina was an absolutely brutal one to give up by NYI. shitty clearance by the D and the goalie’s terrible pad positioning gives up an own goal from an impossible angle. 

https://www.nhl.com/video/stastny-wins-it-for-canes-in-ot/t-277350912/c-16904576

I don’t mind seeing the Islanders lose in gut-wrenching fashion. Over the years they have given the Penguins some of their most painful playoff losses.

As for Stastny, very cool. My senior year high school biology teacher is a cousin of the Stastny brothers. We used to love talking hockey with him when we were in high school. 

And boy, the pressure on the Bruins now is awesome. A loss would be crushing.

Was it 91 when detroit had a billion points and lost in the first round? Guess I could look it up if I really cared. 

Eta: I wasn’t even close.  06 they won 58 games and lost in the first round. 96 they won 62 and lost in the conference finals. 91 they were under .500. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:
4 hours ago, Scary Stranger said:
But it’s just playoff hockey, right?

I'd like some consistency out of the NHL.

It's reaching David-Stern-Era NBA officiating level.  

I quit watching the NBA because of that shit, and I'll dump the NHL, too if this clownshow gets worse.

They're so gotdam obsessed with evening things up and "game management" that no one knows what's a penalty any more.

Edited by Beau Vine

13 hours ago, shadow_operative2.0 said:

That was an impressive waste of time behind the net only to immediately turn it over with a shitty pass. 

my buddy and I were watching that after the Stars game and just absolutely screaming at the tv. Did he freeze? Totally bizarre and terrible. Not gonna come back down by 2 if you park behind your own goal.

I quit watching the NBA because of that shit, and I'll dump the NHL, too if this clownshow gets worse.
They're so gotdam obsessed with evening things up and "game management" that no one knows what's a penalty any more.
No hearing for Eberle for the hit last night. How do you suspend Makar for his and don't even have a hearing for Eberle?

18 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
38 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

No hearing for Eberle for the hit last night. How do you suspend Makar for his and don't even have a hearing for Eberle?

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm talking about.  I was sure they would call that a 5 on the ice (and I thought it deserved 5), because they call everything a 5 so that they can review it, and then nope, 2 minutes for smashing a guy's head into the board from behind.  WTF?  "That's Playoof hockey?" or was that "The game's gonna get out of hand if we give the Avs a 5-minute PP?"

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Like 1

Yeah, that's kinda what I'm talking about.  I was sure they would call that a 5 on the ice (and I thought it deserved 5), because they call everything a 5 so that they can review it, and then nope, 2 minutes for smashing a guy's head into the board from behind.  WTF?  "That's Playoof hockey?" or was that "The game's gonna get out of hand if we give the Avs a 5-minute PP?"
BTW, what are you doing at Kraken games and with a UW avatar? You move up there?

44 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:
54 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

BTW, what are you doing at Kraken games and with a UW avatar? You move up there?

Nah, just spent the week up there.  Moved away in '95.

• Like 1

Look at that. Toronto moves on to Round 2

Still can’t believe it. I just knew they were gonna Leaf things up again. Great for them. Now they get record-setting Boston or Matthew Thachuk and the Panthers, who ARE a lot better than their regular-season record. Tkachuk is a fucking animal. The East is a damn buzzsaw.
  • Hook 'Em 1

This has a cool 2:30 clip. The last 30 seconds are especially good. Seeing the celebration by the GM Kyle Dubas and his staff in the press box, then a shot of Keefe and his assistants on the bench and, finally, a shot of the crowd in Toronto is pretty spectacular. (And it was the first round.)

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/36324319/maple-leafs-prevail-ot-win-1st-playoff-series-2004