OU @ Texas Series Thread

Horny Bull

I’m on these boards all the time and there have been appeals for donations (which I’ve made) but never an explanation of how far behind we were from other top baseball programs or how much was needed to catch up.  At least not that I ever saw.   Maybe if people had hard numbers it would motivate them.  Not just “we really need your support”.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

I’m on these boards all the time and there have been appeals for donations (which I’ve made) but never an explanation of how far behind we were from other top baseball programs or how much was needed to catch up.  At least not that I ever saw.   Maybe if people had hard numbers it would motivate them.  Not just “we really need your support”.

My question would be why are we so hard up for NIL money in baseball? What are we missing?

15 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

How much better would this roster be with two more legit Friday night starters?

I'm not sure what this means. Does that fix the lineup issues or the hole at SS?

I'm on record multiple times saying that Pierce could have done a better job last offseason acquiring talent. 

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

The CEO of Marucci is a LSU alum and is rumored to have provided a very large amount of money to help back their NIL efforts. I have read it was a 7 figure donation. LSU isn’t spending $3 million or whatever is rumored on this year’s team, but it is a lot.

For comparison, we set a floor of $10k to each player on a 35-37 man roster, so you are talking about $350,000 for funding on our end. 

Ideally, we are able to double that amount. That would put us where we need to be and to be competitive in a lot of these portal/draft risk situations.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure what this means. Does that fix the lineup issues or the hole at SS?

I'm on record multiple times saying that Pierce could have done a better job last offseason acquiring talent. 

It means if we hadn’t been outbid for Watts-Brown and Skenes we’d be a much better team.

I’m not blaming DP for that, I’m blaming our inability to compete financially. 

3 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

Complaining about NIL money like it isn’t a coaching issue that we have 1 strike thrower on the entire roster is quite funny 

You know what helps coaching? Having talent.

Woody Williams is one of the best pitching minds in college baseball and had dudes pitching WAY over their heads to start this season. As we’ve discussed at length on board, no one is ever going to mistake this pitching staff for having a bunch of talent yet he had them competing for a much longer time than we anticipated. Eventually though, stuff tends to regress back to the mean.

Thinking that hiring a new pitching coach was just automatically going to fix this staff was wish-casting. Pitching development takes longer than maybe anything else in the game of baseball.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Woody Williams is one of the best pitching minds in college baseball and had dudes pitching WAY over their heads to start this season. As we’ve discussed at length on board, no one is ever going to mistake this pitching staff for having a bunch of talent yet he had them competing for a much longer time than we anticipated. Eventually though, stuff tends to regress back to the mean.

Thinking that hiring a new pitching coach was just automatically going to fix this staff was wish-casting. Pitching development takes longer than maybe anything else in the game of baseball.

Great post

• Like 1

I mean seriously - you're a fucking 3 year starting junior. Hit a fucking single and make it 8-3 with runners on 1st and 2nd and 1 out. Anything but another ground out DP. I mean fuck me - maybe the NIL needs to be better - can we have this guy do anything fucking productive at the plate all God damn season?

/rantover

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Morehouse was talked about in the fall like the second coming. LBJ is supremely talented. There’s a lack of talent on the roster, but there’s a lack of pitching talent on every Big 12 staff. Expecting more than 7 innings of competency a weekend isn’t wishcasting. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I mean seriously - you're a fucking 3 year starting junior. Hit a fucking single and make it 8-3 with runners on 1st and 2nd and 1 out. Anything but another ground out DP. I mean fuck me - maybe the NIL needs to be better - can we have this guy do anything fucking productive at the plate all God damn season?

/rantover

Amen brother 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

The hopes of hosting a Super Regional are pretty much disappearing this weekend?  

There were zero hopes of a super. At best this team was probably in the 12-16 seed range heading into the weekend. Now they likely need 2 out of 3 at TCU to get back in that discussion.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

The hopes of hosting a Super Regional are pretty much disappearing this weekend?  

I don’t think there was any hope of that anyway. Winning the conference would get us a regional but there’s no chance a big12 team could host supers 

• Hook 'Em 1

Maybe Witt coming back and being used as an opener will allow us to shift some guys into the bullpen that should be.

Im not completely out on Sthele or Morehouse but neither should be a starter and both should be brought in for clean innings only.

Now, about that other starter spot. Need LBJ or Hurley to nut up.