2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

22 minutes ago, Turkleton said:

Does anyone have a total count on who is all in? Damn hard to keep up.

Democrats:
Booker
Buttigieg
Castro
Delaney
Gabbard
Gillibrand
Harris
Klobuchar
Sanders
Warren
Williamson
Yang

Republicans:
Trump
Weld

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Bernie gets the next town hall on CNN.

I think he's a little overrated in 2020 - he was the progressive not-Hillary in 2016.  Now he's one of many progressive not-Hillarys in 2020.  

Aaron Booth (good political guy on Twitter) said a similar point -

Santorum was the "anti-Romney" in 2012 - the conservative guy to Romney's "too liberal" label.  Garnered 20.4% of the primary vote, won 11 states and 3.9 million votes.  2016: 16k votes (.05% of the vote) because there were so many other options.  

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Bernie gets the next town hall on CNN.

I think he's a little overrated in 2020 - he was the progressive not-Hillary in 2016.  Now he's one of many progressive not-Hillarys in 2020.  

I agree to some extent, Kamala saying she's for M4A though I'm not exactly buying it. Just my opinion, but I really feel like Mayor Pete, Bernie, and Warren are the only candidates now who come off as genuine. Mayor Pete also hasn't formally declared yet, he's still in the exploratory committee phase.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

She co-sponsored Bernie's M4A bill back in summer of 2017.  First Senate Dem. to co-sponsor his bill btw.  

That's good, but is that because she's from California where she gets bonus points for that as well as knowing there was no way in hell it would pass? Maybe I'm being racist and way too harsh on her, but I just feel like she's pandering to everyone and if elected she wouldn't try to strong-arm congress to pass real reform if Dems could take the Senate back.

Just now, GSU&UT said:

That's good, but is that because she's from California where she gets bonus points for that as well as knowing there was no way in hell it would pass? Maybe I'm being racist and way too harsh on her, but I just feel like she's pandering to everyone and if elected she wouldn't try to strong-arm congress to pass real reform if Dems could take the Senate back.

Unfortunately, even if Dems. take back the Senate, unless they nuke the 60 vote threshold for legislation, nothing like M4A is getting through.   So many missed opportunities in 2016 and 2018 led to it basically being impossible to get 60 for a long time. 

10 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Unfortunately, even if Dems. take back the Senate, unless they nuke the 60 vote threshold for legislation, nothing like M4A is getting through.   So many missed opportunities in 2016 and 2018 led to it basically being impossible to get 60 for a long time. 

Holding any sort of vote on it because they have the majority as it only increases in popularity would be a huge huge deal still. Getting anyone on record voting against healthcare reform could hopefully be a political death sentence, especially as the majority of people started to realize how bad it would be to repeal the Affordable Care Act in 2017.

2 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Holding any sort of vote on it because they have the majority as it only increases in popularity would be a huge huge deal still. Getting anyone on record voting against healthcare reform could hopefully be a political death sentence, especially as the majority of people started to realize how bad it would be to repeal the Affordable Care Act in 2017.

I agree.

And a President Harris is not going to tell them not to vote on it.  Bernie/Warren would immediately put it on the floor with a Dem. majority to at least get it on record. 

5 minutes ago, Zombie said:
7 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:
Why shouldn't he say true things?

Age shouldn't be a consideration?

Physical and mental health should be considerations, things which are linked closely to age, but age itself, no, not a big one.

A small consideration? Fine, I guess.

Edited by bad_teammate

4 hours ago, Mo Horn said:

I did not see the town hall with Klobuchar last night, but read some of things she said. She sounds like she can find a middle ground for all dems with goals and ideals for the left but honest reality for the more centrist part of the party. Any feedback from those who saw it? 

I watched her and thought she sounded reasonable and pragmatic, which, based on our posters here, is going to get her blown out in the primaries.  She could pull R/never Trump voters not to mention she'd do great in the mid west.   

2 minutes ago, sublime said:

I love your enthusiasm, but I really want (and perhaps need) a woman in charge of this country. He shouldn't appear to be standing in the way of this, because if not now, when?

This is why I'm voting for Jill Stein if the lady cop is not nominated.

Just now, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I'm not a racist (or at least don't believe myself to be)-- the fact that you do think you are a racist doesn't have any consequences for me. Except that you should probably not engage in conversations without the disclaimer "I'm a racist".

Clearly you are an extreme bit player though, because as soon as you wandered off the plantation here to Daily Texan, people were surprised that a caricature like you could really exist and say the things you say in earnest.

Those are two different things. 

I honestly believe all white people in America are racist to some extent. Everything I've seen growing up here has led me to that conclusion. American history leads me to that conclusion. The fact that we still live in a society based on white supremacy leads me to believe that.

I don't care if you don't agree with me.

Pretty snazzy video explaining how this will work.
I've never heard people clamoring for this, but yay, more free shit. Raising kids is expensive. It was like a nice pay bump when ours got out of daycare.

How do you tax wealth? It took a constitutional amendment for an income tax. Has this ever been done before?

38 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Those are two different things. 

I honestly believe all white people in America are racist to some extent. Everything I've seen growing up here has led me to that conclusion. American history leads me to that conclusion. The fact that we still live in a society based on white supremacy leads me to believe that.

I don't care if you don't agree with me.

This seems fair to me.  I don’t know how someone could completely separate and overcome the prejudices that shaped their upbringing and shape our society, even if you are aware of those prejudices to some extent.  At some level it’s just part of who you are. 

11 minutes ago, Fozzz said:

This seems fair to me.  I don’t know how someone could completely separate and overcome the prejudices that shaped their upbringing and shape our society, even if you are aware of those prejudices to some extent.  At some level it’s just part of who you are. 

This the argument about racism being an institutionalized practice, rather than it being "I hate people that speak and look different from me."

1 hour ago, sublime said:

I love your enthusiasm, but I really want (and perhaps need) a woman in charge of this country. He shouldn't appear to be standing in the way of this, because if not now, when?

Hey guys, let's do 2015/6 all over again!

hillary-clinton-awkward-thumbs-up.jpg

I would prefer a candidate who wasn't a 77-year-old white guy from the Northeast. However, I have an actual set of beliefs and values regarding what I think America should be for all 300+M of its citizens and I think that future is more important than representation for representation's sake.

If someone's vision is simply disgust with Donald Trump without strong progressive beliefs and values, then I understand why representation for representation's sake matters a lot. I can understand, to that mind, looking at an old white guy like Bernie and thinking that his age and race disqualify him. I think that's blind and self-defeating, but I understand it.

• Like 2

I see no difference between a wealth tax and a property tax (note, I'm anti property tax) 

Property is relatively easy to appraise. “Wealth” is exceedingly difficult to accurately assess because many assets have extremely limited comps and are also difficult to account for.

And at any rate, what would we be accomplishing?
Here’s what I would do:
National sales tax with an annual rebate phased out beginning at 120% of MFI.

Tax capital gains as ordinary income.

Restore rate structure to pre-2001 levels.

Eliminate cap on FICA/SECA tax, lower rates to revenue neutral level.

In conjunction with the above, means test social security and Medicare.

Widen-Bennett.

Just now, Bozo_Casanova said:

Property is relatively easy to appraise. “Wealth” is exceedingly difficult to accurately assess because many assets have extremely limited comps and are also difficult to account for.

And at any rate, what would we be accomplishing?
Here’s what I would do:
National sales tax with an annual rebate phased out beginning at 120% of MFI.

Tax capital gains as ordinary income.

Restore rate structure to pre-2001 levels.

Eliminate cap on FICA/SECA tax, lower rates to revenue neutral level.

In conjunction with the above, means test social security and Medicare.

Widen-Bennett.

I agree with the bolded parts 100%.

I vehemently disagree with means testing because once you means test a government program you stigmatize it. Programs like Medicare and Social Security have to be for everyone or else they get labeled as "welfare" and saddled with all of the political baggage that comes with that term.