2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

42 minutes ago, Steamboat1874 said:

I have not read anything on this thread but this last page but I don't think any Dem that has announced so far will win.

To me the best ticket would be Biden/Beto and then Beto for 8 years after the first term.

But I don't know shit.

Lmao, we will never have another 12 years of one party holding the presidency for a long time.   We are not far off from changing the person in the WH every 4 years due to polarization. 

Edited by Js1

Just now, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

Right. Hence we have a specific 40% of the population outraged now while another specific 40% is happy. That will flip flop in 2020, I have no doubt. Us 20%'ers are survivors, man. You are a racist, but we assimilate and find ways to work around or within in any system.

You aren't part of the 20%. You are an ideologue and a partisan.

Just now, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

The only ideology I adhere to is that I'm a sojourner in this world, politics doesn't matter, and both sides are wicked and stupid. Oh, also, abortion is murder.

You, on the other hand, are a racist and a race-baiter. The worst type of pandering clown shoe imaginable.

I'm honest. You aren't.

Try harder.

3 hours ago, David Dennison said:

I think all white Americans are racist.

Define "white."

Let's do a thought experiment. Suppose we could stand every American in a line ordered from lightest skin to darkest. Could you determine where white people end and non-white people start? "You, Joe, you're white. But Sam here to your left is not." Would Joe be a racist but Sam not? Or would Joe just be more of a racist than Sam, but less of a racist than the really white guy at the head of the line? How does that work?

There's only one race -- the human race. We come in all shapes, sizes, and colors, and we're all the same. Most of us are assholes. There's diversity in every population ranging from brilliance to idiocy and there's no correlation between skin color and either trait, or any point in between. 

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Define "white."

Let's do a thought experiment. Suppose we could stand every American in a line ordered from lightest skin to darkest. Could you determine where white people end and non-white people start? "You, Joe, you're white. But Sam here to your left is not." Would Joe be a racist but Sam not? Or would Joe just be more of a racist than Sam, but less of a racist than the really white guy at the head of the line? How does that work?

There's only one race -- the human race. We come in all shapes, sizes, and colors, and we're all the same. Most of us are assholes. There's diversity in every population ranging from brilliance to idiocy and there's no correlation between skin color and either trait, or any point in between. 

That's great in theory. Unfortunately it doesn't work on a practical level, hence the disproportionate representation of certain races in institutions ranging from prisons to politics. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

22 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

That's great in theory. Unfortunately it doesn't work on a practical level, hence the disproportionate representation of certain races in institutions ranging from prisons to politics. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

WTB has a good point. White is a really broad term and so is race. Maybe some more granularity is called for by addressing sets of ethnicity and social classes.

3 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I'm not a racist (or at least don't believe myself to be)-- the fact that you do think you are a racist doesn't have any consequences for me. Except that you should probably not engage in conversations without the disclaimer "I'm a racist".

Clearly you are an extreme bit player though, because as soon as you wandered off the plantation here to Daily Texan, people were surprised that a caricature like you could really exist and say the things you say in earnest.

Everyone is racist, at least subconsciously. The fact that you don’t recognize that just means you’re ignorant or a troll. Probably both. 

5000 years ago if you’re a white guy wandering through the forest and you happen to somehow come across a black dude the brain immediately would go into fight or flight mode because it was obvious he wasn’t part of your tribe and it may be a kill or be killed situation. And vica versa of course. 

But whatever. Troll on you crazy diamond. 

39 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Just because racism exists, and certain populations suffer as a result, that doesn't make the racists right. 

If you think the color of a person's skin is a predictor of their character or behavior then yes, you're a racist. I hope I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. But if you are, there are a lot of people who aren't racist so don't go trying to give yourself cover by declaring that all white Americans are racist.

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

Just because racism exists, and certain populations suffer as a result, that doesn't make the racists right. 

If you think the color of a person's skin is a predictor of their character or behavior then yes, you're a racist. I hope I'm misunderstanding what you're saying. But if you are, there are a lot of people who aren't racist so don't go trying to give yourself cover by declaring that all white Americans are racist.

I think all white Americans are racist, but not because of the color of their skin but because of the system into which they are born and the social status that is accorded their skin tone, hence white privilege.

4 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I'm not a racist (or at least don't believe myself to be)

You're a racist. 

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/2993-things-to-do-with-my-4-yo-son-july-16th/&do=findComment&comment=280561

A water park at that age is a beating. They stay in the kid zone area and time just crawls. You’ll want to leave after 15 mins and time will just slowly pass as you play with your kid in 2 feet of piss water with a bunch of minorities (I’ve just noticed doesn’t matter what city you are in except for Great Wolf Lodge, the minorities love the water park. Whether it be Muslims in long swim pants and a swim cap hajib or Mexicans with a weeks worth of consumer packaged goods and $100 Worth of frito lays product, I guess they don’t have a community pool in their developments?)

And you're probably the one pissing in the pool. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I guess I'm ignorant then because I'm not seeing how factual observations, recurring and overtime, is racist.

Yeah, saying that you think minorities flock to water parks because they must not have swimming pools in their housing developments is just a factual observation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Dividends are essentially double taxed (at the corporate level and then again to the shareholder at the capital gains rate), which is what I usually think of when people talk about the capital gains rate and the rich not paying their share on taxes.  I suppose we could make a distinction for taxes on sales of assets and make those gains subject to normal rates.  Maybe that’s what he was talking about anyway.  You could still argue capital gain on corporate stock is effectively double tax since the asset has been subject to income tax affecting its value.  Something like real estate you buy and flip, not so much.

i and the corporation i own stock in are not the same entity.  it's the reason rick scott is in the senate instead of prison. 

on top of that, even if it is double taxation, there's a conscious and voluntary choice made by the natural person to create a juridical limited liability person through which to conduct business because that's valuable (again, rick scott is in the senate instead of prison), even despite 'double taxation.'  eliminating 'double taxation' represents a windfall to that natural person. 

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I guess I'm ignorant then because I'm not seeing how factual observations, recurring and overtime, is racist.

The minorities love the water park? As opposed to the whites who hate the waterpark?

Stop being an idiot. You’re either a racist or a troll. So which is it? 

3 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

If my observations around water parks offended one or was insensitive, I apologize. I wasn't trying to come off as rude or racist and it wasn't the intent if you took it that way.

If I screwed your mom and you’re upset about it, I sincerely apologize. I didn’t mean to upset you by screwing your mom, but she had three Mexican martinis at Trudy’s and I saw an opening there and took it. Again, I apologize. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

I told y’all about Biden.

I like him in a “Nostalgic About Obama” way but he’s drawing dead in this race.

If he doesn’t have the best chance of beating trump then I don’t want him, because I want whoever has the best chance of beating trump.

If he does have the best chance of beating trump then he needs to be the nominee. This situation is too fucked up to focus on anything else.

Sun tzu. 

There are probably 5 or 6 Democrats with an equal chance of beating Trump.

And truthfully, I think Biden falls to the bottom of that list once voters actually take a closer look.

It’s going to take someone to inspire demographics that typically don’t vote - young people, black women, Latinos.

The 2020 race is going to be won by turning out voters who don’t usually vote and having a demoralized base on the other side.

The center swing voter bloc is shrinking to almost gone. It’s all about growing your “side” and growing the turnout.

I just don’t see Joe Biden as the inspirational figure that accomplishes that in the general.

problem with Bernie is he doesn't get the black votes, which HRC took in 2016 and Kamala Bambata will take in 2020.  Bern gets the white liberals so he's in a fight with Beto on that ground and Beto will get the Latinos.. Bernie will win all the states that have low levels of browns/blacks meaning the midwest + northeast, kansas, OK, big 8 country except TX (Beto) and CA(Kamala). 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

is it not? This post:

Because as someone told me here recently, only racists say "I don't see color" because it's racist for wypipo not to give bonus points to PoC and marginalized folk.

was referencing this one below:

I'd like an apology from you for distorting what I said and adding shit to it that I didn't say.