Led Zeppelin

Deej

• 2 months later...

Beautiful.  Have some rep.  

We've talked about it on here before, and it's obviously true of so many other young bands broken apart by death, in-fighting, jealousy, or external factors.  But Jimmy Page may be the most baffling of all to me when it's said and done.  His bandmates, particularly Bonham, meant the world to him and fueled his creativity.  Nobody doubts his technical prowess on the axe...but his songwriting and production/sound knowledge are beyond reproach.  Jones is a virtuoso able to move between bands and genres and instruments like no other.  You can hear the breadth and depth of Plant's songwriting and musicianship to this day.  But nobody had more in the tank than Page.  And while I've loved the little bits here and there of his work over the last 40+ years...I just get the overwhelming feeling that we were all robbed of his genius.  

A few one-off gigs, two albums (mostly rearranged Zeppelin tracks) with Plant, the Firm, and some cool youtube videos...that's it.  I know he can't sing and wasn't going to do a solo career or score movies and become the Hans Zimmer of guitar soundtracks.  But one of the 5-10 most influential musicians of the last century, and the little we have-I'm grateful for-but it always leaves me wondering why we never got to enjoy more of Page's works?  Yes, I know John Bonham died.  But in just 12 years, Jimmy Page invented hard rock and blew us away with the greatest rock music of all time.  And then just sort of wandered through the forest for the 42 years after it.  I get it, he's a tortured genius in a flowing dragon coat.  He doesn't owe us anything more than what he's given us.  I just wish he knew how much we'd love a little bit more

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

And while I've loved the little bits here and there of his work over the last 40+ years...I just get the overwhelming feeling that we were all robbed of his genius.  

We got his genius. He just didn't have much left in the tank after Zep. Heroin, alcohol, cursed by Kenneth Anger... some combination? 

I feel the biggest loss was when he was eager to help put together a new album for/with the Black Crowes and Rich Robinson got his panties in a wad. The Page/Black Crowes shows were amazing. Having more than one guitar to handle those songs and Page having gotten clean...it was great hearing Jimmy play as well as he was and I think it would have been good for him to collaborate with them in the studio. What might have been...

• Like 2

We got his genius. He just didn't have much left in the tank after Zep. Heroin, alcohol, cursed by Kenneth Anger... some combination? 
I feel the biggest loss was when he was eager to help put together a new album for/with the Black Crowes and Rich Robinson got his panties in a wad. The Page/Black Crowes shows were amazing. Having more than one guitar to handle those songs and Page having gotten clean...it was great hearing Jimmy play as well as he was and I think it would have been good for him to collaborate with them in the studio. What might have been...

The Black Crows live CD with Page is one of the best recordings ever. Just so damn good.
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

The Black Crows live CD with Page is one of the best recordings ever. Just so damn good.

The best part of that whole deal was Chris Robinson shit talking Page afterwards as he was wont to do.

On 3/28/2023 at 8:57 AM, Anton Chigurh said:

Jimmy posted this today.

Hope we get more like this since it’s very rare that we ever do from them.

Saw that posted on Twitter yesterday morning, it was glorious.  Think I enjoy it more without vocals.  Not a guitar player myself, but the the chords he pulls up in this song are amazing.  Coming between IV and Physical Graffiti, this seems to be kind of an overlooked album, but it's definitely one of my favorites.  No filler at all, in my opinion anyway.  Yes even The Crunge.

• Like 1

Do you wanna tell me about that good thing?  'The Crunge' is awful, we can all admit it.  But to your point, 'Houses of the Holy' remains probably the most underrated Led Zeppelin album.  We forget in this day and age that it was a #1 chart record and 10x+ platinum.  Yet, it's rarely discussed or listened to.  

Fun fact-ten years later, "Walter's Walk" was released on 'Coda' which was supposed to be on 'Houses of the Holy'

I miss these guys sometimes...

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Do you wanna tell me about that good thing?  'The Crunge' is awful, we can all admit it.  But to your point, 'Houses of the Holy' remains probably the most underrated Led Zeppelin album.  We forget in this day and age that it was a #1 chart record and 10x+ platinum.  Yet, it's rarely discussed or listened to.  

Fun fact-ten years later, "Walter's Walk" was released on 'Coda' which was supposed to be on 'Houses of the Holy'

I miss these guys sometimes...

"Houses of the Holy" was supposed to be on "Houses of the Holy", too. 😆 

• Haha 1

Not any time soon, it would appear.  They haven't even announced the venue.  Could be Stubb's, could be ACL Live, could be Moody Amphitheater.  I like that we're the last show on the tour, opens up interesting possibilities.  

• Like 1

I was today years old when I learned that on "In the Evening", Jimmy Page is playing a Telecaster.  For 35 years, I thought it was his Danelectro or Les Paul with that gizmotron deal attached to it.  Just saw a concert clip while on a music rabbit hole, it was his rarely used Fender.  Whoah.  

The man's ear continues to amaze me in new and different ways to this day.  Then I was listening to his riff from "When the Levee Breaks"   

the slide literally sounds like water rising and falling off a cliff.  How can a heroin addict and a wooden box do that?  Airtight Magic.  

45 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I was today years old when I learned that on "In the Evening", Jimmy Page is playing a Telecaster.  For 35 years, I thought it was his Danelectro or Les Paul with that gizmotron deal attached to it.  Just saw a concert clip while on a music rabbit hole, it was his rarely used Fender.  Whoah.  

The man's ear continues to amaze me in new and different ways to this day.  Then I was listening to his riff from "When the Levee Breaks"   

the slide literally sounds like water rising and falling off a cliff.  How can a heroin addict and a wooden box do that?  Airtight Magic.  

It's a 1963 LPB Stratocaster

2022-11-04-11_20_10-106700_0_wide_ver159

My bad, meant to type Strat not Telecaster.  But still surprised it was a Fender.  I could tell without looking it up which guitar he was using on every song, but I got that one way wrong.  I guess it was the gizmotron and middle age that threw me off.  I had never seen the song played live, and in a video...it was like a Kaiser Soze moment of "holy shit, it's the Fender from Skokie, Illinois Quartet!"  

Then I listened to two different versions of Kashmir.  We all know the subtle genius of Page doing 3/4 while Bonham plays 4/4 and then they synch up later in the song.  But it's two different bars in the liver version versus the studio version.  Pretty cool to figure out.  

I had a long rant upthread about the genius of Page's recording studio technical prowess from amplifier location to the mixing board to microphone placement.  And I was just watching Bonham play his fucking ass off.  And that had to be hard for a guy his size, hammered drunk for 3 hours a night.  And sure enough somebody asked Page why they couldn't rig the stage and mics and amplifiers so Bonham didn't have to exert himself so much.  And Page just smiled and said, "He plays that hard because he's Bonzo.  The drummer of Led Zeppelin."  He beat the shit outta the kit because that's what he was meant to do. 

It's a sports cliche, but that band truly left it all out on the field/stage.  No fat, no filler, no fluff.  92 songs.  Pick any 10 at random and it's a multi-platinum album within a week.  55 years later, we're still unpacking the nuances of the songwriting and production.  There's lots of other bands I love from that era, but they didn't make a single fucking mistake despite being whacked outta their minds.  

They were a monster.

Ahead of their time. Filling stadiums night after night, cutting out the promoters, for the most part.

"You can make the money we let you make, or you can make nothing."

They took total control over their product. 

There has never been four greater talents making music together.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Yep.  The Beatles were more originally gifted and confluence at the perfect time in music history.  I probably love the Grateful Dead more in my soul.  But nobody ever hit every fucking nail on the head from songwriting to musicianship to production to live shows to changing the business to remastering to longevity to instrumentation to sheer hard rock, panty dropping energy like Led Zeppelin.  

I still pick up little kinks and notes in their music to this day.  You may have bands you love more but none of them will be listened to by our grandchildren save for Zeppelin.  

When rock started to come back after the hair bands started wearing out their welcome, they did it on the back of Led Zeppelin. 87 was Appetite for Destruction and The Cult's Electric, plus others. You can hear the Zeppelin influence in just about all of it that year. 

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I heard a lot of Aerosmith in Slash’s playing on Appetite, but still your point stands

Yeah, and I would also say Izzy was more influenced by Kief. But Led Zep were pioneers of the riff-driven approach to rock that was essential to later groups like GNR. 

3 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

Yeah, and I would also say Izzy was more influenced by Kief. But Led Zep were pioneers of the riff-driven approach to rock that was essential to later groups like GNR. 

Stradlin (or whatever his real name is) did pick heavily from the Stones and Zeppelin.  He is an incredibly underrated guitar player and music writer.  Appetite really did reboot hard rock after nearly a decade of crap.  For another thread admittedly, but seriously fuck Aerosmith.  They were pure rock for about 15 minutes.  They don't belong in a discussion about Led Zeppelin other than than yes, the Joe Perry guy tried to emulate Jimmy Page miserably for a few songs.  But who didn't?  Not worth discussing.  

3 hours ago, YGIFS said:

Stradlin (or whatever his real name is) did pick heavily from the Stones and Zeppelin.  He is an incredibly underrated guitar player and music writer.  Appetite really did reboot hard rock after nearly a decade of crap.  For another thread admittedly, but seriously fuck Aerosmith.  They were pure rock for about 15 minutes.  They don't belong in a discussion about Led Zeppelin other than than yes, the Joe Perry guy tried to emulate Jimmy Page miserably for a few songs.  But who didn't?  Not worth discussing.  

I'm still a bit bitter that Run DMC revived their career.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 3/28/2023 at 8:57 AM, Anton Chigurh said:

Jimmy posted this today.

Hope we get more like this since it’s very rare that we ever do from them.

God I fucking love that song.  

I have it on my "Texas Road Trip" playlist right in there amongst all the REK, JJW, and such for one reason...

You get out into the Hill Country, or the Llano Estacado, or the Winding Woods of East TX  on a spring day about 74 degrees and sunny, roll the windows down and play this song as loud as the vehicle allows...

Catharsis.  

• Hook 'Em 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...