New Red Dead Placeholder thread

Baboontyme

1 minute ago, Baboontyme said:

How do you view the quality of the corpse? I tried the binocs - that wasn't it, apparently. Would rather not waste time skinning them to see. 

I think you can only see that on corpses small enough to pick up.  Like anything you can skin or pickup to stow whole on the horse, will show you the quality of the corpse when you get in range and the context menu pops up in the lower right.

17 hours ago, Hozz said:

I think you can only see that on corpses small enough to pick up.  Like anything you can skin or pickup to stow whole on the horse, will show you the quality of the corpse when you get in range and the context menu pops up in the lower right.

Really dumb of me actually. I just realized last night the stars were there when you sight an animal with your weapon and also when you approach it to skin it. I had not noticed the stars before, just completely oblivious to them. Yes that makes hunting for the various satchels a ton easier. 

I do see now that regardless of that stupid trinket, you have to shoot the animal in the proper spot with the proper weapon or you will kill the pelt quality. I assumed because of the trinket I could shoot any pristine animal anywhere with the improved arrow (usually good enough for a one shot kill on anything but the massive animals) and I would get a perfect pelt. Nope. I am convinced that trinket is pretty damn useless. I disagree with its value being that you "see more" 3 star animals because I would say about 15-20% of the animals I see are pristine, and that's about on par with what I saw before the trinket. I'm undecided as to whether you can shoot a 2* properly and skin it and come up with a perfect pelt due to the trinket. I've tried this probably 8-10x and never had success. As mentioned above it definitely does not give you leeway on what type of weapon you can use or where you have to shoot the animal. 

4 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

As long as you use the right type of gun on a 3 star animal you can shoot the animal wherever you want and multiple times.

That hasn't been my experience at all.  Do you have to enable the trinket?  Put it on or something?  I feel like I see more 3* animals since getting it but nothing more than that

Trinket defenitelty works. As long as you use the right type of gun on a 3 star animal you can shoot the animal wherever you want and multiple times. Those things would ruin the 3* pelt without the trinket. I shot a deer earlier that bled out like 25 seconds later and I still got a 3* pelt. 
I don't think that's right either because the pelt will get damaged. I'll have to try it again.
That hasn't been my experience at all.  Do you have to enable the trinket?  Put it on or something?  I feel like I see more 3* animals since getting it but nothing more than that
It's a perk so its permanent.

Yeah agree with the above. No way. Have shot multiple 3* deer with an improved arrow (one shot kill) no aiming for head/heart and wind up with a 1/2* pelt. With trinket. 

Narrowing down on my LotE satchel. Need a perfect wolf pelt and another perfect deer pelt. Was it just me or was the perfect squirrel the hardest to get of any of them? Perfect panther was probably close second. The squirrel sucks man. Took me awhile and some googling to figure out I needed the small game arrow. And then the damn small game arrow does not kill on the first hit 80% of the time. Trying to get a squirrel still enough to aim an arrow and hit it in the head, even with dead eye....was not easy. 

Yeah agree with the above. No way. Have shot multiple 3* deer with an improved arrow (one shot kill) no aiming for head/heart and wind up with a 1/2* pelt. With trinket. 

Narrowing down on my LotE satchel. Need a perfect wolf pelt and another perfect deer pelt. Was it just me or was the perfect squirrel the hardest to get of any of them? Perfect panther was probably close second. The squirrel sucks man. Took me awhile and some googling to figure out I needed the small game arrow. And then the damn small game arrow does not kill on the first hit 80% of the time. Trying to get a squirrel still enough to aim an arrow and hit it in the head, even with dead eye....was not easy. 

Deer requires rifle with scope and wolf requires poisoned arrow. Small animals require varmint but smaller like squirrels and birds require the small game arrow.

Are you pulling back your bow or just shooting? That is why it's not killing them instantly.

I got the wolf and cougar (and deer actually) all with the Rick Springfield rifle, express ammo. The first two right in the face as they were charging me in dead eye. The deer I just chase after on the Arabian and point the rifle at to check the pelt. 3* and I hit dead eye and shoot them in the head. Super easy once I figured it out.

How do you pull the bow back? I mean I press L2 to hold up the bow, dead eye and aim and then hit the shoot button.

I got the wolf and cougar (and deer actually) all with the Rick Springfield rifle, express ammo. The first two right in the face as they were charging me in dead eye. The deer I just chase after on the Arabian and point the rifle at to check the pelt. 3* and I hit dead eye and shoot them in the head. Super easy once I figured it out.
How do you pull the bow back? I mean I press L2 to hold up the bow, dead eye and aim and then hit the shoot button.
You have to hold the r2 button while aiming. You can do it in dead eye mode too.

Good to know that cougar/bow hunter challenge is next up on my list. 

Spoiler

Mission wise, just broke Marston out of the pen. Squabbled with Dutch and then got word that Dutch and Micah went to see Leviticus and I was supposed to meet them there. This is the last mission isn't it?

8 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

With just about any medium to large animals that I don’t have to worry about getting attacked by, I just lasso then and kill them with my knife. If you do that with a 3 star animal, it’ll give you a perfect pelt literally every single time. It’s perfect for shit like deer, boar, Ox, Elk, etc. 

On a side note, this game is fucking amazing/ridiculous. I went to the saloon and took as many shots of whiskey as it would allow me. Eventually the screen blacked out and i woke up completely naked right outside of town (saint denis, for what it’s worth) with absolutely nothing on me. Main horse was gone, all my money was gone, all my weapons were gone, and all provisions were gone. I had nothing on me. It still let’s you store shit as if you had a satchel (and if I remember correctly, you still have all the shit that you had in your satchel), but I was naked with no guns. I saved before because I had just completed a mission, and I had a pretty expensive horse that I wanted back, so I just loaded it up again. But I kind of want to try this again to see if it ends up the same way. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Good to know that cougar/bow hunter challenge is next up on my list. 

Reveal hidden contents

Mission wise, just broke Marston out of the pen. Squabbled with Dutch and then got word that Dutch and Micah went to see Leviticus and I was supposed to meet them there. This is the last mission isn't it?

I forget what chapter you’re on, but no. Not even close. I don’t know if you played the first RDR, but let’s just say it does a nice job of tying this one into the first one. A lot of “oh shit, I remember that. It all makes sense now” moments if you remember the first story line at all.

I just finished the main story. Thinking about playing it through again. This first time I wanted to have as high of an honor rating as possible. This time, I’m going for the opposite. I’ve heard a lot of the game is completely different, depending on whether your honor rating is one extreme or the other 

I forget what chapter you’re on, but no. Not even close. I don’t know if you played the first RDR, but let’s just say it does a nice job of tying this one into the first one. A lot of “oh shit, I remember that. It all makes sense now” moments if you remember the first story line at all.
I just finished the main story. Thinking about playing it through again. This first time I wanted to have as high of an honor rating as possible. This time, I’m going for the opposite. I’ve heard a lot of the game is completely different, depending on whether your honor rating is one extreme or the other 

Same. I’m gonna go full baddie this time.

On a side note, this game is fucking amazing/ridiculous. I went to the saloon and took as many shots of whiskey as it would allow me. Eventually the screen blacked out and i woke up completely naked right outside of town (saint denis, for what it’s worth) with absolutely nothing on me. Main horse was gone, all my money was gone, all my weapons were gone, and all provisions were gone. I had nothing on me. It still let’s you store shit as if you had a satchel (and if I remember correctly, you still have all the shit that you had in your satchel), but I was naked with no guns. I saved before because I had just completed a mission, and I had a pretty expensive horse that I wanted back, so I just loaded it up again. But I kind of want to try this again to see if it ends up the same way. 
Haha that's awesome

On 12/17/2018 at 12:48 AM, youdunnf'dup said:

That shit happens to me in real life.

50 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

Finished the main story line with high honor. Decided in the epilogue to become a road agent and kill anyone that crosses my path. This is way more fun. 

Man, you’re not kidding. On chapter 2 of my 2nd play through, and living the true outlaw life is a lot more satisfying lol. No I’m not gonna save your life after chasing you down for 2 minutes, you bitch. You did not see me in blackwater, but just so there’s no mistaken identity....

Yeah, a lot of people are dying on the second play through.

I did the gold bar glitch the first time and now I’m having to go find money for real. The Javier home robbery missions actually make a good amount. You can also take a train to Annesburg, stay on it, and wait for the long tunnel, kill all the train operators to stop the train in the tunnel, and rob it without getting a bounty. You can even reverse that bitch all the way to Annesburg and not get a bounty.

So have you guys found the AI cheating at poker? Probably the last thing I should be worried about right now but the presents are under the tree and I was too apprehensive to go to bed so I tried the Master Gambler challenge 3 or 4 or whatever it is to bust someone out in poker at the 3-4 poker tables. 

I am at the last one in St. Denis and I swear to Allah the motherfucker to the right of me can see my cards. But only mine. The 3rd guy at the table has been winning handily when he goes against me or the guy to my right but I have had this other motherfucker down to .10 or .05 or .25 like 10x. I pull him all in every time and no matter if I have a decent hand or a shit hand he pulls something out of his ass to stay alive. I'm not kidding it has to at least have happened 10-12x in a row. I started telling myself the odds were astronomical that it would happen again after the first five times or so but it just keeps going. I will win on a side pot with the $20 guy to my left with two pairs Ks and 2s vs. 10s and 2s and main pot will come down to me vs. guy with .25 left and he has a full house. 

I finally got frustrated and blasted him in the head with a sawed off. 

Finally picked this game up. I knew I wasn't going to be able to play it for a while when it first came out so I waited. Only have about an hour in game play and through the first two missions. I just need the wife and kids to take off for a long weekend so I can really dive into it.

2nd time through is not disappointing so far.  Getting the white arabian horse for free is such a huge leg up early in the game.  It's a total pain in the ass to get up there, but it's worth the effort.  Save your game before you get to the west side of the lake where it hangs out.  I didn't do that and got eaten by wolves after catching the horse - ended up reloading from a few missions before because the horse wouldn't reappear. 

Good idea on burgling pelts from a hunter camp, I haven't done that.

Into chapter 5 or 6 after Cuba and I really love where the story is going.

I’ll say I love what they have done so far with Javier Escuella, I fully expected to not like him it he is great! Hearing him sing cielito lindo brought back memories of my grandparents.

Trying to get back home so I can finish the story. He story has me locked so I stopped hunting and all that

• Like 1

Into chapter 5 or 6 after Cuba and I really love where the story is going.

I’ll say I love what they have done so far with Javier Escuella, I fully expected to not like him it he is great! Hearing him sing cielito lindo brought back memories of my grandparents.

Trying to get back home so I can finish the story. He story has me locked so I stopped hunting and all that
Cielito Lindo was my favorite part of the whole game.

I just started playing this last night and it's amazing. Give me some noob tips. Also, my OCD is getting the best of me and I feel the urge to get a gold on every mission. The two I've done so far I've gotten bronzes.

Also, is it just me or are some of the icons and words hard to read? I play on a 42 inch tv

Enviado desde mi SM-G950U mediante Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, youdunnf'dup said:

Where are these camps? I feel like I’ve stolen a perfect pelt from a traveling hunter, but not at their camp site  

Just in random spots from what I can tell. They will make a smoke signal like other camps but you will know it is a trapper based on the pelts everywhere. 

Just in random spots from what I can tell. They will make a smoke signal like other camps but you will know it is a trapper based on the pelts everywhere. 

This. There was one by where the Indian hut is on top of the mountain (forget the area names exactly). It’s down below it after you come down from the mountain.