New Red Dead Placeholder thread

Baboontyme

On 11/5/2018 at 4:11 PM, Hozz said:

#metoo. Don't feel like restarting as I'll probably play through again anyways. Am I missing much?  I accidentally shot the guy that was beating up the lady in the hotel and for some reason that made me fail the mission. I did the checkpoint, walked in the room, and the guy was still dead from being shot in the face. Lady followed me downstairs like nothing happened, lol...

43 minutes ago, NateHitch said:

I keep mine paid off for now just because I got tired of spending a lot of time trying to find some perfect pelt only to get ambushed and killed by bounty hunters

Yep.  And bounty hunters will shoot that pelt on the back of your horse turning it from perfect to poor.

The people in the Beaver Creek are trashy as hell.  I ended a skirmish with three mountain trash folks and when Arthur gets back on the horse he said "Pffft.  Fucking hillbillies."  This game is hilarious.

How the hell do you avoid getting bounties on you? I got ambushed by O'Driscolls while just randomly riding around. They shot first, I killed them. Insta-notice that someone witnessed me committing "animal cruelty". I guess I shot a horse in the skirmish. How is that on me, and how do I avoid crap like that? That's the 3rd or 4th time I've committed a "crime" that was mostly unavoidable.

Second question: So I killed that witness as well, then ran off as fast as I could to get away from any more witnesses, and ran my bad ass new gray horse off a cliff and killed him. I don't have a horse reviver. Do I have time to make it back to camp, get another horse, get to Valentine, buy a horse reviver and get back to him to save him?

Not a productive session today. Best game ever.

Edited by BradInATX

Actually managed to save my kickass gray horse that I drove off the cliff. Hustled to Valentine, bought a horse reviver, and made it back to him in time to save him. 

Good tip ChickenSandwich - will try that. I'm pretty tight on cash right now anyway, since I'm just in chapter 2. Bookman - if I knew I was going to commit a crime I'd have put a mask on, but I was just riding around and got ambushed. Didn't set out to get shot at, accidentally shoot a horse in self defense, then get charged with animal cruelty. 

Any tips on randomly making money? I seem to stay low on cash pretty often. I know I can fence valuables later on, but don't have that option yet.

HEard a guy screaming from the forest, so I go to check it out. He was being torn apart by wolves. Chased them off with a couple gunshots then gave the guy his last drink of whiskey before putting him down. Dude had some sweet pelts on his body and horse along with a gold watch. Totally worth the bullet and swig of whiskey. 

2 hours ago, BradInATX said:

Actually managed to save my kickass gray horse that I drove off the cliff. Hustled to Valentine, bought a horse reviver, and made it back to him in time to save him. 

Good tip ChickenSandwich - will try that. I'm pretty tight on cash right now anyway, since I'm just in chapter 2. Bookman - if I knew I was going to commit a crime I'd have put a mask on, but I was just riding around and got ambushed. Didn't set out to get shot at, accidentally shoot a horse in self defense, then get charged with animal cruelty. 

Any tips on randomly making money? I seem to stay low on cash pretty often. I know I can fence valuables later on, but don't have that option yet.

I did a ton of hunting, loot EVERYONE and everything

Did you do the gold bar trick? (I didn't but mainly because I had already grabbed the bar)

5 hours ago, BradInATX said:

find the fence, you will have more belt buckles and pocket watches than you can hold, also rob the gold miner for a $300 bar of gold

33 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

How the fuck do you access the maps from the satchel? Treasure maps, etc? I can only access the main map

D pad to the right opens the satchel.  Go to documents and the maps will be there.  I'm still not fully familiar with how to access my progress on certain stuff.  

I just realized you can loot people's saddle bags and that it's usually fairly lucrative.  Then I realized that you sometimes have to calm their horse down before you do it or they'll kick the life out of you.  Had one launch me backward into a fence post and it killed me.

Also holding left dpad will open your journal, but tapping left will open your mission/challenge log. Took me forever to find the mission log. 

Holding down let's you change the radar size, tapping down will show all the dynamic stats for a few seconds (time, temp, cash, honor bar, health/stam/horse stats) 

• Like 1

Yep.  And bounty hunters will shoot that pelt on the back of your horse turning it from perfect to poor.
The people in the Beaver Creek are trashy as hell.  I ended a skirmish with three mountain trash folks and when Arthur gets back on the horse he said "Pffft.  Fucking hillbillies."  This game is hilarious.

I wondered how my 3* wolf pelt was down to a 1* the other day. Was on the way back to new camp and a group of lamoyne raiders got an idea they could get chirpy with me.

So I haven’t found the best horses but I found an American stadler that is quick and I already like him more than the new War Horse.

I’ve been disappointed with rdr2s war horse vs how great he was in RDR1. I kept that war horse through the entire game requiring a few game-save reloads.

treasure hunting was helpful to get spare cash.  finally got to chapter 4, and got the arabian horse.  also, wiped out a KKK rally in the woods near strawberry, and the old destitute guy in rhodes who wants you to get his belongings from his house - yeesh.  So much stuff to do, and I really haven't done much with the challenges.  Tracking 10 species of animals with binoculars seems hard.

Recently happened upon the killer mystery map and decapitated body/severed head scene in the SE part of Lemoyne.  Pretty fucked up.  Not far from the slave shack which was also kind of disturbing.

Tracking 10 animals isn't too hard.  You can zoom in on the binocs and track from pretty far away and you don't have to follow or kill them, just hold RB or whatever to track.

Edited by LonghornSean

I don't really understand the treasure hunting. 

Same as before... I get into the general area and then have to YouTube the actual location...

Found one with a giant X in a tree and still couldn’t find the fucking spot until I YouTubed it, and as I finally found it I got rolled up on by bounty hunters. They got smoked with both barrels from my shotty.

I really love this game. I like the slow pace and that it actually makes me do shit. I may be in the minority but I never finished gta5 and got bored with zipping through it.

I played late one night with my headphones and actually heard Arthur singing to himself while I was making a long ride back.

And I did get super pissed today when I had a 3* bison on my horse and I slammed into a tree 50’ from camp and it disappeared completely... mutherfucker! I bypassed a lamoyne raider posse to get that back in prestige condition!

3 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

And I did get super pissed today when I had a 3* bison on my horse and I slammed into a tree 50’ from camp and it disappeared completely... mutherfucker! I bypassed a lamoyne raider posse to get that back in prestige condition!

Was heading to the trapper today with a 3* coyote pelt, 3* fox pelt and a perfect cougar pelt that took forever to get.  Come galloping up to a narrow bridge and get halfway across and hit a pole, I get thrown off and land on the bridge and my horse tumbles into the river losing all my shit.  If my wife wasn't in the room I would have probably thrown the controller through the tv.  I had thought about saving but was like Nah, it's just a short ride to St. Denis with no bounties.  Fuck.

The bounty/wanted system seriously sucks.  Its very easy to get a bounty on accident not even trying to do anything that would get you in trouble with the law.  It's also very buggy where you can get bounties put on you in the middle of nowhere where there are literally no witnesses.  Finally, I got a HUGE bounty put on me during a chapter 2 story mission and the game did not inform me of this during the actual mission.  I rolled into a post office later and discovered it, ~$300ish.

Let’s talk attention to detail:

I stumbled on that creepy pig farm sooner couple who got me drunk, robbed me, and left me for dead in some pit with “mother”.

Fuck off sooners.

I went back to the house, hog tied the wife and executed the fuck out of the fat dude. Then I carried the wife - bitching and screaming the entire time to the pit with “mother” with the intention to execute her there.

When I throw her in she starts screaming “no no. Not with mother”.

Wow. I mean there are so many ways to take that couple down but they still managed to thought through: “what if she is hog tied and thrown in the pit”

• Like 3

My new favorite sociopath activity is to hogtie people and throw them near a gator in the swamp.  It literally bites their head off.  

Then I shoot the gator

There is clearly something wrong with me

I remember in RDR1, early on I hogtied a woman and put her on the railroad tracks only to get an achievement for it.

Lol

They had to spend a lot of time thinking about new ways this time around.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The hours of playing and enjoying are worth every penny for this game.

I spent a crazy long time searching for the white arabian (got her) and other hunting challenges that a dude from camp rode up to me saying Dutch was worried about me being gone so long and sent people out looking for me

The hillbillies our past annesbrooke or whatever it’s called north east are a trip. The fucked with the bull by threatening me while I setup camp.

Went on a ride just looking for as many of them as I could; camping-dead, narrow pass horsejacking- dead, riding along-dead, trying the old help me please-dead!

And separately had a funny moment where a guy wanted a target shooting competition, sure, I won the first round and when he asked for a rematch I accidentally shot him point blank... so I robbed his dead body for my $5 plus his $15 in his pockets...