New Red Dead Placeholder thread

Baboontyme

30 minutes ago, Baboontyme said:

There's a musical montage ride into camp in Chapter 5 but that's the only one I can think of so far. Oh, and I suppose when you get the gang to posse up and go to the mansion in search of _____. That was pretty cool. 

How closely to the percentages correlate to completion of the main story? I feel like I'm getting to the end and I'm into the lower 60s. I don't want the main story to end, trying to prolong it as much as possible. I'd guess I'm near the end of Chapter 5. 

low 60's seems about right. After the main story was over I lost all interest. Still finished the epilogue but restarted the story and I'm taking my time with it this play through. I never thought I could enjoy a character more than Marston. Turns out I was wrong. 

• Like 1

Guessing I'm halfway through and I'm loving it as much as ever. I don't mind the slow nature of the game but I can see how people could find it tedious. Trying to do as much as possible before doing any missions that progress the story. The voice acting and nuances are incredible all around

I’m 49.9% complete and I’m thinking at at the lastmission of chapter 4.

I love this games slower pace, heck often when I’ve got a long ride I put it in cinematic and read or watch the scenery while listening for random encounters. Although I stopped doing camp chores. Fuck them, I’m not cutting wood or watering the plants... I fucking bought y’all like 3k worth of upgrades and I am fixing up all of your bedrooms you lazy fucks, someone else cut some damn wood.

I haven’t experienced that “ride to Mexico” moment but honestly I wasn’t expecting to either. That was so unexpected when it happened that it made it much more meaningful. I think this game tried to recreate that feeing in much smaller ways a few different times.

It has taken me a while but I think I do like Arthur’s experience and character just a tad more than marsten. Although the “Hey Mister!” Greeting is getting old

Oh and what I came here to post... fishing for the legendary perch at Elysian pool fucking sucks... i can’t get a fucking nibble after 4 days of fishing that cesspool

It’s everything I expected and more. 

Are the controls a little wonky? Yes. Are the cores/chores a little tedious? Yes. I haven’t caught 1 legendary fish because I don’t enjoy fishing in this game. The legendary satchel is a pain in my ass right now. But I’ve loved just about every minute of the 40+ hours I’ve invested in the game so far. I didn’t even own a PS4 until this came out. 

14 minutes ago, Firemans4Horn said:

It’s everything I expected and more. 

Are the controls a little wonky? Yes. Are the cores/chores a little tedious? Yes. I haven’t caught 1 legendary fish because I don’t enjoy fishing in this game. The legendary satchel is a pain in my ass right now. But I’ve loved just about every minute of the 40+ hours I’ve invested in the game so far. I didn’t even own a PS4 until this came out. 

This is pretty much where I’m at. There are a lot of little annoying things, but it’s the most detailed game I’ve ever played.

I know this is a small detail, but if you haven’t already, go aim your gun at a blind beggar. Usually they don’t respond (because they’re blind), but sometimes they will react and Arthur will make an antagonistic comment because the beggar was faking being blind.

I’ve put so many hours into this game and I’ve barely a few missions into chapter 5. I’ll get side tracked by doing every little random person side mission because it always seems to lead to bigger and better things. Then once I had a better understanding of hiding my identity, I started robbing places (both regular stores, and their “side activities”). FYI, if you’re going to do this, do it in a smaller town like valentine, or annsburg, or strawberry. Made the mistake of doing it in Saint Denis and there are just too many lawmen.

Random shit like that, and getting perfect pelts have taken up probably 25%-40% of the time I’ve put into the game.

I know this is a small detail, but if you haven’t already, go aim your gun at a blind beggar. Usually they don’t respond (because they’re blind), but sometimes they will react and Arthur will make an antagonistic comment because the beggar was faking being blind.

Holy shit. That's awesome and I'm disappointed I never thought of doing that.

Yeah the 3* panther was a bitch.  Now I'm supposed to kill 5 of them with a bow?  No thanks.

FINALLY came across a 3* rattlesnake and kill it with a small game arrow and I walk up to it and hit the circle button instead of the square and stomp it reducing it to a 1*.  Fuck this game.

Edited by NateHitch

I have a habit of accidentally pulling my gun on people so I accidentally came across the blind beggar trick. Lol

Also I have the 3* buck to craft so that is good news about his trinket.

Also had a funny moment to take my first 3* cougar pelt. Was out after the legendary buck coming back from the trailer up there and I heard a bunch of dog/coyote yipping. I deadeye it to see them chasing an animal. Turns out a cougar was in the area and a pack of coyotes found her and were chasing her off. They chased her right to me and bagged her for a perfect pelt! So cool to see.

Also the 80ft tomahawk kill was awesome. The Driskoll camp I wiped out didn’t realize what had happened for a second. Now I gotta do a 3knife kills in 15 seconds or whatever for the other skill challenge

On 12/8/2018 at 9:36 AM, Baboontyme said:

Oh, and as to this....I still think a lot of it is a bit too tedious and confusing. It took a long time before it was clear to me the difference between what you can craft yourself, what a butcher can craft for you, what a trapper can craft for you and what a fence can craft for you. And some of the recipes are just bizarre and I can't see myself ever taking the time to collect 3 perfect ram pelts, 2 skulls from a canary, 4 feathers from a carrier pigeon, 2 bay leaves and a sprig of thyme just so I can craft a tent for Dutch to sleep in or some shit. 

Yeah the crafting needed some more QA.  It definitely is not explained well in game.  Also, the Trapper and the Fence share access to materials globally...but Pearson has a separate inventory.  This makes something already tedious, even more tedious.  I will say that going for the Legends of the East satchel via Pearson is 100% worth it.  This satchel lets you carry 99 of everything that stacks aside from ammo and things like dynamite.  Watch a video on it that details what you need to kill and the ideal weapon/ammo for each kill.  Also, perfect alligator skin to the Trapper makes a really nice saddle and its super easy to do if you have been to St Denis.  Tons of gators right outside the city, easy to find a 3 star and easy to head shot a gator with a rifle as they pretty much don't move ever unless you get close to them.  Trapper in town, pick the saddle up at the stable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Radical Larry said:

There’s a chapter in Waco?

Yes.  There's a hillbilly in the bayou who lives in a fucked up shack.  He asks you to go inside for something to eat.  I was curious what was in there.  There wasn't anything to eat.  Just rape.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Chooky said:

Yes.  There's a hillbilly in the bayou who lives in a fucked up shack.  He asks you to go inside for something to eat.  I was curious what was in there.  There wasn't anything to eat.  Just rape.

So I guess I'm throwing some dynamite in the door of every fucked up shack I come across in Lemoyne...

Didn't get raped, but I got drugged and robbed by a brother/sister duo in a cabin.  Went back and fucked them up and got my money back, though.

So I guess I'm throwing some dynamite in the door of every fucked up shack I come across in Lemoyne...

Didn't get raped, but I got drugged and robbed by a brother/sister duo in a cabin.  Went back and fucked them up and got my money back, though.

Someone on here went back and tied up the sister and threw her in shallow grave and it gave back funny dialogue.

6 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Not the same scene.  This is a bull queer coonass in the bayou.  He's barefoot with nothing but overalls.  I'm gonna go back there and get my money and hogtie him and ride him up to the snow and throw him off of something.  I'm gonna get Gardner Barnes on his ass.

• Like 1

Question. Trying to kill some time before resuming missions and I want to upgrade to the Legends of the East satchel. Do I really have to ride all of these fucking pelts back to Pearson after I collect them to craft the interim satchels or can I just go to the Trapper who is like 10 feet away?

I think I'm going to power through the rest of the story missions and then start a new game and grind more in the next round.  I did the gold bar glitch and haven't done many of the challenges in this 1st play through.  I think the first thing I'll do is trek up to the NW to get the white arabian horse, get the legendary buck and then start trying to get the legend of the east satchel before going too far on any of the story.  I'm ready to get back to a simpler time when I wasn't always wishing I could punch Dutch in the face.

I finished up with the Wapiti Indians last night and there are some pretty cool missions in that bunch.

Maybe I just suck at breaking horses, but I sat there for an hour straight getting bucked off that damn white Arabian horse. Finally just gave up 
You have to hold the left thumbstick down while moving it left and right to where Arthur is leaning. Like a 5 to 7 motion. It took me awhile too because I thought it would be like the first red dead.

Do you have to do something to "equip" or use the legendary buck trinket once you buy it? I swear to god this has happened to me 10x in the past 2 days. Track or sight a pristine animal. Chase it, shoot it once with improved arrow. Dies. Skin. Pick up pelt. Poor. Everything I've read says the improved arrow is a clean one shot kill regardless of where you hit the animal and with the trinket it's going to keep the pelt perfect. Bullshit. 

Do you have to do something to "equip" or use the legendary buck trinket once you buy it? I swear to god this has happened to me 10x in the past 2 days. Track or sight a pristine animal. Chase it, shoot it once with improved arrow. Dies. Skin. Pick up pelt. Poor. Everything I've read says the improved arrow is a clean one shot kill regardless of where you hit the animal and with the trinket it's going to keep the pelt perfect. Bullshit. 
Each animal has a recommended weapon to use to kill it. Most bigger animals you would need to use the rifle and be sure to headshot it. The trinket only makes it so you see more 3 star pelts. You still have to kill the animal properly.

16 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:
17 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Each animal has a recommended weapon to use to kill it. Most bigger animals you would need to use the rifle and be sure to headshot it. The trinket only makes it so you see more 3 star pelts. You still have to kill the animal properly.

Without the trinket, to get a perfect pelt 3 things have to occur.  1) The animal has to be 3 star, 2) you have to kill it with the ideal weapon (in some cases there are multiple ideal weapons), and 3) you have to get a fatal hit on the first shot.  With the trinket, you can mess up either 2 or 3 and still get a perfect pelt.  You will know the trinket kicked in when you see the animal is now a  2 star corpse but the pelt/skin you harvest comes back perfect.

3 hours ago, The Royal We said:

I finished up the main story line last night.  I don't want to spoiler anything so I'll just say it was unlike anything I've ever played through before and was pretty damn well done.  They did such a good job of developing all the characters and building a connection with Arthur.

Agree. First game that the story actually hit me in the feels like a movie. 

32 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Without the trinket, to get a perfect pelt 3 things have to occur.  1) The animal has to be 3 star, 2) you have to kill it with the ideal weapon (in some cases there are multiple ideal weapons), and 3) you have to get a fatal hit on the first shot.  With the trinket, you can mess up either 2 or 3 and still get a perfect pelt.  You will know the trinket kicked in when you see the animal is now a  2 star corpse but the pelt/skin you harvest comes back perfect.

How do you view the quality of the corpse? I tried the binocs - that wasn't it, apparently. Would rather not waste time skinning them to see.