New Red Dead Placeholder thread

Baboontyme

I think I have the hang of the legendary hunting deal. You can pretty much ignore the white bubble and the ?s if you follow some of the advice above. As soon as you get the notification that you're in territory, turn on dead eye and scan 360. You will see the yellow beehive within 30 yards or so. You run to it, examine clue, go right back into dead eye and follow the animal Seagal path away from the animal poop. You'll see another beehive within 30-40 yards. Run to it, examine the sticks/fur/dung and go back into dead eye and follow the path to the next beehive. After that clue the animal is gonna be within eyeshot of you, you can use the Seagal track to find it if it's not obvious. I did the fox, coyote, boar and beaver tonight and they were all so close I didn't even need Seagal eye. They're also all albino so pretty apparent, even in the night. 

Thanks all. I guess I was getting too distracted by the white bubble and the ?s. 

If you ever encounter a guy at night near the gunsmith in Saint Denis offering you a chance to make some real quick money, just ignore or blast him.  If you follow him another guy jumps you and you wake up in the graveyard down 25% of your cash.  Haven't found them again to get it back, which is annoying.

Edited by LonghornSean

If you ever encounter a guy at night near the gunsmith in Saint Denis offering you a chance to make some real quick money, just ignore or blast him.  If you follow him another guy jumps you and you wake up in the graveyard down 25% of your cash.  Haven't found them again to get it back, which is annoying.

Yeah that shit pissed me off. No chance to dead eye them...

Luckily right after that I got screwed by the pigs so I had to reload a save

That just happened to me and my previous save was like a couple of hours ago fuck. They took like $1200. Pissed me off.

It's a good idea to manually save after accomplishing anything meaningful.  This has saved me a lot of time.

Yeah I’ve wasted 2-3 hours a couple of times, I now basically drop a manual save any time I do anything that isn’t a main mission. Spend 30 minutes on my firearms or wardrobe? Save. Drop a 3* big game? Save. Feel like I wanna ride as far N/S/E/W as I can right now? Save. See a new stranger cloud? Save....

My last timeloss was when I decided I’d do the sharpshooter kill 5 birds from a train... except I hadn’t saved in a while. Jumped o the back of the train in saint Denis and killed a few birds before I was wanted and the train stopped... figured I crank it up and get that last kill. Nope rack up a crazy bounty and I stole the train. Damnit! Reload

Anyone just lose their horse?  I had a great horse but he got shot during the mission where you go get the oil wagon for the train robbery.  So I went back and revived him but he wouldn't stop following me.  So before I did the mission again, I sent him away.  I got the wagon and then went to go get my horse back.  But the fucker just disappeared off the map.  Gonzo.  I was able to get my saddle back at the stable in Valentine, but the horse is gone and now I have some shitty horse that freaks the fuck out whenever there is gunfire.  

I have gotten 3 legendary animals (bear, ram, beaver) and they were fairly easy, but the coyote is hard as hell.  He circles back on himself so his tracks are everywhere and he doesn't seem to stop moving.  Will have to go back.  I got one good shot in on him and then he bolted and I never saw him again.

34 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

I have gotten 3 legendary animals (bear, ram, beaver) and they were fairly easy, but the coyote is hard as hell.  He circles back on himself so his tracks are everywhere and he doesn't seem to stop moving.  Will have to go back.  I got one good shot in on him and then he bolted and I never saw him again.

Go into Rhodes and buy as much dynamite as you can. Put it into one of those chests that you can find in houses, at campsites, etc, and label it 'ACME'. He'll come running. 

Edited by Baboontyme
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/15/2018 at 8:28 AM, Baboontyme said:

I want a higher stakes poker game. I found a $2.50 game last night. Where are the $50 games and some and such? Can I put a mask on and go into Blackwater and play?

Anyone know the answer to this?  I found a $5 game in St. Denis, but that's the highest I have come across.

I'm curious as to this as well. 

I beat it yesterday. The answer is yes. After what seemed like 30 minute long end credits. I did all the missions except one so I don’t think I can go back or that one though. Not sure I can do the stuff like finding the outlaws or the rock carvings and all that or not.

I found some useful tips in this video I didn't know about.  Like:

-hold triangle to rest anywhere.  You can craft while resting without having to set up a camp

-you can hang around after committing a petty crime, apologize to a lawman, and he'll let you off the hook

-the multiple horse whistles you can perform 

-gun wraps slow down weapon deterioration

-you can tell a horse's mood (calm or anxious) based on its ears

-the melee/lasso combo attack you can perform with the lasso equipped

-hold square to loot drawers, etc. faster

-aim a weapon at a blind beggar to test if he can actually see or not

The apologize for a crime does not work in Saint Denis... those pigs will always come out guns blazing, even on a 5$ violation...

I also did my first threaten action on a would-be witness to a crime. So I got out of that bounty.

Still can’t figure out the easy way to rob city-folk... seems like everytime I end up having to kill them...

5 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

The apologize for a crime does not work in Saint Denis... those pigs will always come out guns blazing, even on a 5$ violation...

I also did my first threaten action on a would-be witness to a crime. So I got out of that bounty.

Still can’t figure out the easy way to rob city-folk... seems like everytime I end up having to kill them...

Definitely make sure you’re wearing a mask or bandana if you’re gonna commit crimes. Usually you can commit a crime, leave ASAP, and when they’re “investigating” the crime after it’s been reported, it should say “unknown suspect” instead of Arthur Morgan. Also keep a few different sets of clothes on your horse and change when they’re done searching for you if you need to go back into that town. 

This is my one gripe in the game though. Dealing with the bounty system. I don’t know how they should tweak it, but I feel like they should.

This game brings out the depravity. That said - I did not know you get to the wanted dead or alive level.

You must have done some fucked up shit because I only got a $15 bounty for throwing a hogtied lady on the train tracks in the middle of Saint Denis (thanks for whomever posted that above)

I'll shoot a random in Saint Denis just to get a .wanted level. Then I let them chase me out to the swap where I kill as many as it takes for them to stop coming and then I ride around hunting bounty hunters.

Tldr: it's not that hard to get a wanted dead or alive level.

Another thing on the committing crimes with a mask/bandana on. This might go without saying, but full faced masks work better at hiding your identity than bandanas do. It’s a lot easier to get the “unknown suspect” when you have a mask.

Common sense would say this is obvious, but I just assumed I could use a bandana and it would work just as well. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

3 hours ago, justinjc7 said:

This may be a dumb question but....whenever my horses stamina would be low, I would brush him and then his stamina would boost back up. But now, it doesn't matter how much I brush him, his stamina doesn't budge. Any ideas why?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Feed him.

11 hours ago, NateHitch said:

So the Valentine to Rhodes in 5 min challenge, do you have to do anything in particular to trigger it?  I just did it in under 5 min and didn't get credit for it

Weird. Try again. Maybe you started outside the Valentine city limits or something.

Just a heads up,

when end you get to the end of chapter 4 missions (based in st denis) make sure you accomplish most of what you want to accomplish because your access to stuff (crafting a legendary kit etc) gets all jacked up after you finish chapter 4. 

Ugh, don’t want to hear that... especially since I don’t actually know where I am mission wise in St.Denis...

Guess I better get on my hunting/crafting

I haven't bought the game yet due to some different reasons, but I was wondering what everyone's impressions were a few months in. I think I remember people complaining originally that the beginning was a little tedious, with some of the routine tasks you had to do, but it seems like that might have died down. What are people's general impressions, and how is the story compared to the original?

Enviado desde mi SM-G950U mediante Tapatalk

There's a musical montage ride into camp in Chapter 5 but that's the only one I can think of so far. Oh, and I suppose when you get the gang to posse up and go to the mansion in search of _____. That was pretty cool. 

How closely to the percentages correlate to completion of the main story? I feel like I'm getting to the end and I'm into the lower 60s. I don't want the main story to end, trying to prolong it as much as possible. I'd guess I'm near the end of Chapter 5. 

2 hours ago, philsjwfu said:

I haven't bought the game yet due to some different reasons, but I was wondering what everyone's impressions were a few months in. I think I remember people complaining originally that the beginning was a little tedious, with some of the routine tasks you had to do, but it seems like that might have died down. What are people's general impressions, and how is the story compared to the original?

Enviado desde mi SM-G950U mediante Tapatalk

Oh, and as to this....I still think a lot of it is a bit too tedious and confusing. It took a long time before it was clear to me the difference between what you can craft yourself, what a butcher can craft for you, what a trapper can craft for you and what a fence can craft for you. And some of the recipes are just bizarre and I can't see myself ever taking the time to collect 3 perfect ram pelts, 2 skulls from a canary, 4 feathers from a carrier pigeon, 2 bay leaves and a sprig of thyme just so I can craft a tent for Dutch to sleep in or some shit. 

• Like 1