New Red Dead Placeholder thread

Baboontyme

It's worth it to get a XBone for sure.

I did the gold bar glitch and I kinda wish I didn't.  I've pretty much bought everything that is unlocked for me so far - insane guns with engravings, gold barrels, scopes, etc., upgraded the camp as much as possible, bought the most expensive horse and tack I could find, clothes, etc. and I still have over $12k in cash left...

I haven't had the itch to play a game like this since Skyrim, so I'd say the comparison upthread is accurate.  I hope the online portion is done better than Skyrim whenever it comes out.

• Like 2

Went to a plantation in the game.  It's an exact replica of the Oak Alley plantation in Louisiana just east of New Orleans.  If you've ever been there it's kind of chilling when you notice every single detail is on point, even the fountain in the back and the water reservoirs.  Every. Single. Detail.    

I made some adjustments to the control settings which I thought I’d share in case anyone wants to try them.  I thought the default settings felt kind of sluggish.

-change run from hold X to tap/toggle X (PS4)

-dead zone slider all the way down 

-aim acceleration slider all the way up 

look/turn speed is faster and snappier with these settings.  It helps in gunfights, especially when on horseback. I also turned the aim assist slider down to half and set the AA window to “narrow” just because locking onto targets was so easy on the default settings, that it felt kind of cheat-codey.

On 11/3/2018 at 8:55 AM, Chooky said:

Went to a plantation in the game.  It's an exact replica of the Oak Alley plantation in Louisiana just east of New Orleans.  If you've ever been there it's kind of chilling when you notice every single detail is on point, even the fountain in the back and the water reservoirs.  Every. Single. Detail.    

That’s really cool.  I’ve had similar experiences living in LA while playing LA Noire & GTAV. I remember driving through 40’s Hollywood in LA Noire and walking up to the Egyptian Theatre and being blown away by the details.

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

I am through the first part and up the point where we have set up camp. There better be a fast travel option soon or I am going to go insane from all the riding around for 20 minutes at a time. Aint nobody got time for that.

The fast travel "to" destinations you have discovered should be available at the ledger in your camp soon for under $300... The fast travel "from" will require stage coach hiring.

2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I am through the first part and up the point where we have set up camp. There better be a fast travel option soon or I am going to go insane from all the riding around for 20 minutes at a time. Aint nobody got time for that.

You can one way out from camp to prior locales with the lodging upgrade at I think 325 bucks after you upgrade the 200 dollar one first.  You have to use cash with stagecoach to fast travel the other way, which I do quite often now for areas I have explored already.

I bought a PS4 pro bundle on the Friday it came out. Didn't get to dive in much until this past weekend. I'll save the compliments (there are many) and get straight to the gripes. Maybe some of these are my lack of patience in not fully understanding what to do.

I don't like the "crafting" bs. I like that you need to be more precise with your hunting, and your kills, but I don't really know what to do with the carcasses when I kill something. After I finally figured it all out I found a 'pristine' bull moose, killed him clean with one shot, got his perfect pelt, loaded it up, rode way the hell across the game world to the trapper....and he offered me $7.50 for it. Fuck that! So now I have to ride around with this giant pelt on my horse until I can get the other shit I need to "craft" with it? I imagine there's a chart somewhere that tells me what else I need, and then another chart/map I have to access to figure out where to find that stuff. That is too tedious IMO. I preferred the system in the old game where I could shotgun blast a pack of wolves, take their hearts and meat to a shop and get $150 without worrying about how full my satchel was or how to make a hat out of their intestines. 

I still don't understand the health system. Granted I haven't really tried. I pretty much eat stuff to get rid of it and ignore the health meters. I suppose if I got into a really difficult mission I might try to drink a tonic or something. This seems a bit like overkill. 

I have never played a PS4 before this. I was so used to hitting that PS button on the PS3 during RDR to bring up the map I can't untrain myself to hit that strange options button up on the side. I suppose I might be able to change the controls. 

Those are my complaints thus far. 

16 hours ago, Hozz said:

How do we know if we missed it? I'm already on Chapter 3. What missions did you do with those 3 in Chapter 2? I can't remember if I failed and retried that particular mission from a check point. 

Ok. Yeah that's helpful. So I should sell my pelts then, regardless of how perfect? What about the meat?
I sell my my non perfect pelts and give perfect ones to the trapper or butcher and donate most of the meat I find to the camp. I'll also cook a lot of meat/fish to keep with me

I was used to hitting the touch pad to bring up the map on GTAV.  It’s taken me a while to get used to the options button.

couple more QoL control things that improve the experience:

- holding the options button brings up the map right away 

-holding O will exit completely out of your menus if you are deep into them

-I like the “standard FPS  controls” which switches sprint and crouch.  Along with toggle to run,  clicking L3 to sprint feela more natural to me 

- there is a “button tap assistance” option.  I changed mine to 2x which lessens the amount of button mashing you have to do for those annoying actions that require it.

-there’s also a slider that speeds up how long you have to hold down buttons to complete an action (like hitching your horse, etc).  I turned up the slider to 50% 

Things can get tricky if you're unfortunate enough to share the same name as a controversial figure - especially if using the same name as that person on Twitter. Cases of mistaken identity are nothing new - take, for instance, the poor soul named John Lewis who regularly receives customer complaints about queues in a certain popular retail shop.

But times can be particularly tough if you share the name of a hated antagonist in the most popular video game of the year - and this is exactly what's happened to Colm O'Driscoll, a chap from Ireland who's gotten caught up in Red Dead Redemption 2 mania.

Since the game's release, O'Driscoll (the real one) has received multiple threatening messages on social media from players pretending he's the infamous villain of Red Dead Redemption 2. Although they're likely made in jest, some are quite alarming and take the trolling a little too far.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-06-red-dead-redemption-2-players-have-been-sending-abuse-to-a-real-person-called-colm-odriscoll

No, chapter 1 occurs all in the mountains (besides coming down a little to rob that first train). I’m talking about these:

https://www.ign.com/wikis/red-dead-redemption-2/A_Fisher_of_Men

https://www.ign.com/wikis/red-dead-redemption-2/Pouring_Forth_Oil

So if I am currently doing the John pouring forth oil mission it means I’m ok across the board or no?

I haven’t had the Jack fishing mission come up yet

What is everyone's go to for making a quick buck? Lots of things I want to buy but having a tough time getting more than a few hunnert bucks. I was up to $750ish but then I upgraded Dutch's lodging and bought the fast travel from the ledger and now I'm mired in the 250-300 range. 

I'm trying to slow play the missions, so I'm thinking side jobs. In the original it was easy to make lots of $$ hunting and playing poker but $1.00 Hold 'em games and $3.00/pelt ain't cuttin it. 

2 horse coaches with no bullet holes are like $40 each. 

Yesterday I stole a coach and was driving it to the fence, got surprise ambushed, and both horses get shot leaving the coach on train tracks. I am fighting these guys off using the coach for cover when a train comes smashing through and kills my saddled horse that I had following the coach. 

Pretty sad, I had that horse for a long time and it was nearly fully maxed out on Stam and health. 

2 horse coaches with no bullet holes are like $40 each. 
Yesterday I stole a coach and was driving it to the fence, got surprise ambushed, and both horses get shot leaving the coach on train tracks. I am fighting these guys off using the coach for cover when a train comes smashing through and kills my saddled horse that I had following the coach. 

Pretty sad, I had that horse for a long time and it was nearly fully maxed out on Stam and health. 

Yeah but that’s pretty awesome.

Yup, I don't take no lip off no trail trash...or random dudes fishing, or random dude standing around a camp fire.  If you don't want to take a dirt nap then don't start bumping your gums at me.

No convenient Fast Travel, a la Skyrim is starting to get real annoying.  Especially when I'm trying to get the white Arabian horse to show up in the far flung mountains of the NW.  That's a 10 minute ride out of Strawberry and I know I'm going to see some shiny stuff along the trail on the way there...