New Red Dead Placeholder thread

Baboontyme

Spoiler alert:

So I breezed through chapter 5, it was much shorter than I expected. I didn't explore any of the island and only studied, tracked and killed one species of new animal. Did I miss much? I typically take my time and explore every bit but it ended faster than I expected

I did the same thing without realizing it and then I was like shit I only compendiumed like 3 things on the island... the Macau, iguana and 1 other animal I think.

I was wondering the same thing.

On 12/31/2018 at 8:48 AM, philsjwfu said:

I just started playing this last night and it's amazing. Give me some noob tips. Also, my OCD is getting the best of me and I feel the urge to get a gold on every mission. The two I've done so far I've gotten bronzes.

Also, is it just me or are some of the icons and words hard to read? I play on a 42 inch tv

Enviado desde mi SM-G950U mediante Tapatalk

Get the Legends of the East satchel. Here is your guide. Also please don't be stupid like I was. Realize that when you sight an animal after you have studied one of the species you will see a tiny "star rating" underneath the species in the corner of your screen. If it's 3 stars that's a perfect pelt. Shoot that animal in the head with the appropriate weapon (don't shoot a squirrel with a Shotgun slug) and you will retain its' perfect quality. They need to be turned in to Pearson in camp to craft the satchels, not a trapper or a fence. 

https://www.polygon.com/red-dead-redemption-2-guide/2018/11/2/18056108/best-satchel-legend-of-the-east-craft-inventory

On 12/31/2018 at 6:48 AM, philsjwfu said:

I just started playing this last night and it's amazing. Give me some noob tips. Also, my OCD is getting the best of me and I feel the urge to get a gold on every mission. The two I've done so far I've gotten bronzes.

Also, is it just me or are some of the icons and words hard to read? I play on a 42 inch tv

Enviado desde mi SM-G950U mediante Tapatalk

One thing that took me awhile to pick up on when it comes to witnesses:

a white witness means they know that a crime was committed, but they don’t know exactly what happened or who did it. A dark red witness means they saw the crime go down (so know exactly what happened), but they don’t recognize you. Bright red means they saw the crime go down and they recognize you, so as soon as they report the crime they’ll be searching for you and you’ll have a bounty. Those bright red ones are the only ones you need to stop. As long as you book it and gtfo of dodge, white witnesses and dark red witnesses don’t really matter. 

25 minutes ago, The Royal We said:

I've been on the grind for a badger, damn those things are hard to find.

This.  It took me forever to get a 3 star Badger pelt.

Transition from Chapter 4 to 5 and then through 5 back to the mainland is the weakest part of the game IMO.

5 hours ago, NateHitch said:

Look for badgers at night east of valentine. That's where I finally found them but now that I got the 3* I needed I see them fairly often of course

Funny how it works like that. Man, i swear i haven’t seen a single 3 star badger. The rare times I see one it’s always a “good pelt”. Also, what are y’all using to kill those fuckers and maintain the pelt? Varmite rifle? Small game arrow? Last thing I need is to stumble across one and not have the right shit on me 

There are some good tips online as to how to find the badger. Worked for me. 

Funnier though was when I was trying to go through collecting the perfect pelts for the LotE saddle I was hunting for the perfect panther skin, near Braithwaite Manor. I was stalking out there in the middle of the night for the fucking 10th night in a row trying to find that 3* panther pelt. All of a sudden this fucking skunk slinks up to me in the middle of the goddamned night. I ignore it and move on trying to find the panther but it keeps following me. Middle of the goddamned rainforest. Finally get pissed and shoot it and it's a 3* badger begging to be pelted but I ruined the pelt by blowing it away because it was annoying me. Took me about 4 hours to find a badger after that. 

Another thing I’ve noticed. Anytime someone comes up to you while you’re traveling and they give their “well that’s a mighty fine horse you got there. You wanna race to wherever”...steal their horse. Not sure if it’s a coincidence or not, but the two times I’ve done this I’ve gotten a thoroughbred, and a Missouri Foxtrot (the only one I’ve seen in the game if I’m not mistaken). Both have basically maxed out in stats with the right stirrups.

I had the White Arabian for a little bit, but those fuckers are so annoying. I cant count how many times I rode through Lemoyne with a perfect pelt, just so I can have my horse buck me off right next to an alligator. There are a few breeds that I like more, for that reason. 

Edited by youdunnf'dup

Lol I have a mustang that ain’t great but he doesn’t buck for anything. Pack of wolves? Nope he’ll stay pretty calm as I smoke them all.

10 alligators laying around as I ride through at night? He’ll neigh to let me know they’re there and steer me to either side of them but that’s about it.

Jump off to get into a gunfight, he won’t frighten and run oft for nothin.

Now try and race or control him like a show horse and he’ll move as slow as molasses.

I got the white Arabian you can get in the wild.  Worth getting ASAP in Chap 2 IMO.  I got the rose grey Arabian using that St Denis spawn point exploit, but they have since patched this out.  I bought the Turkoman from St Denis in Chap 4 and that is the horse I ended up using the most.  Much less skittish than the Arabians and the only thing that can kill it is a train.  Not quite as fast and does not handle as well but it does both good enough.

I got the white Arabian you can get in the wild.  Worth getting ASAP in Chap 2 IMO.  I got the rose grey Arabian using that St Denis spawn point exploit, but they have since patched this out.  I bought the Turkoman from St Denis in Chap 4 and that is the horse I ended up using the most.  Much less skittish than the Arabians and the only thing that can kill it is a train.  Not quite as fast and does not handle as well but it does both good enough.
Jumping off a cliff into water not deep enough will also kill him. Was only about a 20 foot jump. Thankfully i knew it was stupid, so i saved before i did it.

22 hours ago, NateHitch said:

So where is this game falling on your all-time favorite list?  Definitely top 3 for me if not #1.  Expectations were high and it blew them away

This.  I think it’s #1 for me.   Really have enjoyed it.   Playing through a second time and taking my time.  

My 3rd grader is currently writing his narrative paper on RDR2. He watches me play occasionally with the volume down when I'm sure the mission is going to be relatively safe. Told him numerous times this was not a subject for school but I guess he ignored. When I discovered the paper (due tomorrow) last night I had a fit and told him he could either rewrite it from scratch about a new subject or edit it heavily to remove all references to gun violence. He went with Option 2. Little fucker won't spare any details. He has a chapter alone on the Object Wheel. Now he's drawing maps and landscapes. I just want him to go to bed. 

I’m on chapter 3 of my 2nd play through, and I’m realizing how many stranger missions I missed out on the first time around. Stranger missions, and random camp missions with people around camp (ie stagecoach and home robberies). Also, the random/ridiculous conversation around camp. Clearly I rushed through the game the first time as I was following the story, but just make sure you’re taking your time playing this game. 

17 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

I wouldnt give a shit unless you are one of those gamers that has to complete 100% of everything. 

I don't care about reaching 100%, but I looked it up and realized I was supposed to give it to the trapper for crafting.  Not sure if it opens up anything useful or just fluff stuff.

It’s a pretty sweet hat.

904945a91bf248d302c4eaf3d8658931.jpg

Bison one is sweet too.

dc576305ec0db8474467cc6b11adc649.jpg

Anyway, the legendary pelts go to the fence and trapper for crafting. So, you basically don’t have to worry about it.
Don't get me wrong, i love the bear hat. But lots of morherfuckers had to die when they made fun of it.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gene Parmesan said:

So I killed the legendary bear and put it in the camp thinking it saves there because of the prompt that says items dropped in the camp will be stored in a convenient location.  Then I ride off and get the prompt that I abandoned the pelt.  Should I restart or is it not that big of a deal?

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure you could kill a legendary animal and drop the pelt in the wilderness, and it would automatically go to the trapper. I know I died after killing the legendary alligator, but I was still able to get the outfit for it. 

On a different note, getting perfect snake pelts is a bitch, man. It’s so hard to find snakes to begin with, and if you don’t shoot them in the head with a small game arrow, you ruin it. 

On a different note, getting perfect snake pelts is a bitch, man. It’s so hard to find snakes to begin with, and if you don’t shoot them in the head with a small game arrow, you ruin it. 

This Jesus...

There was a game session where I kept coming across snakes and I could not get a perfect kill... so many arrows lost and 3* turned to 1* snakes...

Fuck!

On 1/5/2019 at 11:17 AM, Firemans4Horn said:

I haven’t played again since I beat the epilogue and I need a new game. Only other game I own is Fallout 4. Anyone have other recommendations?

Did you play GTA V on last gen?  There is a current gen version with updated graphics and a first person mode. 

Tip for anyone still hunting badgers: I found a lot of them in that area called Bolger Green? Something like that.  The cvil war battlefield with the destroyed church near Braithwaite Manor. Also, hunt badgers at night.  I didn't see a single one during the day, camped until night, and suddenly they were everywhere.

I had a funny run-in yesterday with the racist Eugenics guy who peddles pamphlets in Saint Denis. I got into a verbal altercation which caused him to call me a fool and then run away like a bitch. I chased him down and beat him unconscious in the street.  Didn't lose any honor and no witnesses reported a crime. 

Edited by CurlyDumps

3 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

Run your horse through brush and watch for a red dot, that's usually a snake. 

True, but even then, backtracking through the woods (even with eagle eye) can be tedious as fuck. Every now and then you can catch one in the water, and that’s where I’ve had the most success. 

18 hours ago, youdunnf'dup said:

I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure you could kill a legendary animal and drop the pelt in the wilderness, and it would automatically go to the trapper. I know I died after killing the legendary alligator, but I was still able to get the outfit for it. 

This.  It automatically goes to the trapper.   Just go to the trapper and the option to buy the hat will be there along with anything else needed for the legendary bear. 

This Jesus...

There was a game session where I kept coming across snakes and I could not get a perfect kill... so many arrows lost and 3* turned to 1* snakes...

Fuck!

Do you have the legendary deer trinket? I ran across three or four snakes playing last night and I know I didn’t get head shots on them but every one of them was a perfect pelt. I think I even had to put two or three small game arrows into one of them and I still got a perfect pelt.

Do you have the legendary deer trinket? I ran across three or four snakes playing last night and I know I didn’t get head shots on them but every one of them was a perfect pelt. I think I even had to put two or three small game arrows into one of them and I still got a perfect pelt.

I do, I just suck at aiming... it’ll take me a full dead eye to even think I’m getting a headshot...