2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

I knew Sykora had dropped in projections but still thought he was going to be drafted high. 

He's holding a big draft party tonight so looks like he thought the same thing. I bet he's still gone but maybe a little optimism now. 

Yeah. He’s going to have a real decision to make if he doesn’t get drafted tonight. I guess he could always be offered more than slot, but still. 

Edited by MuellerHorn

9 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Yeah, it's now making sense for Sykora to take some NIL $ and boost your value for a couple of years at Texas. 

Kid throws gas. That’s not changing. Come to campus for two-three years (he’ll be an eligible sophomore) and develop a legit second and third pitch and then get drafted in the top 50. 

Edited by MuellerHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

46 minutes ago, Snake Diggity said:

Sykora, Witt, Gordon…pretty, pretty good weekend rotation.

The bullpen was already shaping up to be pretty damn good. If we get Gordon and Witt back with Sykora as the Sunday guy, holy shit. 

This team should be pretty good at the plate too. It’s too early to project, but this could be Pierce’s most complete roster yet if things fall this way. 

Was Madden or Witt at the level of Sykora as a prospect coming out of HS? I’m trying to remember I don’t think so. Madden and Witt were borderline top 100 players if I remember right.

I really feel like Sykora would be the biggest prospect (hitter or pitcher) to make it to campus in a very long time.

1 minute ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

On Sykora - There are still at least a handful of teams that can offer 7 figure bonuses on day 2. Last year, 10 guys signed for $1M+ after day 1. Mostly rounds 3-4, a few past round 10. Brenner Cox got 1M in r4

It sounds like Sykora was telling teams a number closer to $2 million, so he would have to readjust expectations and come off his asking price a good amount to sign at this point. 

Got no clue how the kid is wired. Some are like AJ Johnson and despise the thought of picking up a pencil in a classroom. Some will suck it up for a few years.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Was Madden or Witt at the level of Sykora as a prospect coming out of HS? I’m trying to remember I don’t think so. Madden and Witt were borderline top 100 players if I remember right.

I really feel like Sykora would be the biggest prospect (hitter or pitcher) to make it to campus in a very long time.

PG has Sykora as a top 5 RHP in the class. Witt was top 15. Ty top 20. 

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It sounds like Sykora was telling teams a number closer to $2 million, so he would have to readjust expectations and come off his asking price a good amount to sign at this point. 

Got no clue how the kid is wired. Some are like AJ Johnson and despise the thought of picking up a pencil in a classroom. Some will suck it up for a few years.

Look out for Oakland. I think they could afford $2m with their day 1 picks.

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Rangers paid a flame throwing prep righty $4m in the 4th last year. Not going to get excited for a while 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

Yeah, the #3 pick signed for $2.5 million under slot. I don’t think we will see that type of under slot deal this year from anyone.

Jacob Wilson will be the closest imo (no idea how close)

37 minutes ago, UnhappilyMarried said:

On Sykora - There are still at least a handful of teams that can offer 7 figure bonuses on day 2. Last year, 10 guys signed for $1M+ after day 1. Mostly rounds 3-4, a few past round 10. Brenner Cox got 1M in r4

This is correct.  Even if our guys survive 3-4, Round 11 will typically be where teams typically try to woo a lottery ticket with left over bonus money.  Don't put your guard down until we get through 11.

Tanner Witt is coming back - that has been confirmed with the family late last night. They had put out a very high number with the intentionality of coming back and no team took a flyer to test their resolve. I am sure that they fielded calls, but Witt wants to come back. He did not like how last year ended, his gf on the soccer team has another year, his sister is at UT and he loves his experience. 

Welp, on my way to a full chub so far.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Draft update from OB

Reveal hidden contents

Tanner Witt is coming back - that has been confirmed with the family late last night. They had put out a very high number with the intentionality of coming back and no team took a flyer to test their resolve. I am sure that they fielded calls, but Witt wants to come back. He did not like how last year ended, his gf on the soccer team has another year, his sister is at UT and he loves his experience. 

HS prep arm Travis Sykora (Round Rock) is the other hurdle and that has been partially cleared as he made it through the first 2 rounds. I fully expect him to be taken in the 3rd or 4th round, but at that point, it is up to the family on whether they are happy with sub 1M signing bonus or if he feels like he can get into the 2M range by coming to Texas for 2 years (draft eligible sophomore).

Things to watch today:

• Sykora
    • does a team take him early in the 3rd or does he drop down into the late 3rd/early 4th where his current projection is
  • Dylan Campbell
    • Does he get taken in the late 3rd Round or does he fall into the 4th Round? If he falls into the 4th and the signing bonus is in the 500K range, things get VERY interesting for Texas
  • LBJ
    • If he goes in the late 3rd or early 4th, he is probably gone. If he drops down under the 500K slot, there is a feeling that he could come back and turn that into a 1.5M+ number next year. 
  • Will Gasparino
    • Gaspo has a very high number and that has affected his signability, which is one of the reasons that we have seen his projection drop. That said, a team could absolutely fall in love with his projectability and take him in the 4th round. If he makes it to the 5th Round, things get interesting for Texas.
    •  

Witt's back. Gordon might be back. Sykora might make it to campus.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Welp, on my way to a full chub so far.

11 minutes ago, OB3 said:

Tulo’s back!

Boner Meter.png

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ok, so what is the best possible roster that is still in play?  Something like:

C Galvan, Sanders

IF Thomas, Powell, Flores, O’Dowd, Borba, Duplantier, O’Hara, Sweeney, Ardoin, Kennedy

OF Cummings, Campbell, Brown, Belyeu, Gasparino

SP Witt, Gordon, Hurley, Sthele, Harrison

RP Duplantier, Boehm, Tumis, Morris, Tole, Shaw, Whitehead, others

Thats a stacked roster.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Hook 'Em 2

Crews wanted $10 million reportedly and that is why some thought he would fall. No way they are going to be able to pay him and go over $1 million if that number is correct. 

Edit: The Nats have $14,502,400 to spend total

Edited by Sir Ulrich
  • Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Crews wanted $10 million reportedly and that is why some thought he would fall. No way they are going to be able to pay him and go over $1 million if that number is correct. 

Edit: The Nats only have $11 million to spend total

crews sent going to be cheap