2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!

Js1

Just a reminder from Texas' 0-3 sweep by Stanford:

O'Neal was still recovering from her ankle injury and Madi had just had COVID (was questionable for the match) 

Texas only hit .130, Stanford hit .396 (woof)
Stanford had 13 blocks to Texas' 6
Texas 2 aces, 3 serving errors; Stanford 4 aces, 14 serving errors

Bella 5-2-11, 2 blocks
Asjia 4-0-12, 1 block
Skinner 12-9-36, 1 block, 7 digs
Wenaas 11-6-29, 3 digs
Swindle 0-1-5, 2 aces, 6 digs, 24 assists
Phillips 1-1-9, 2 blocks
Devin 1-1-6, 1 block

Madi's worst match by far. Wenaas terrible, as usual.

Baird (12 kills), Kipp (15 kills) and Rubin (14 kills) killed us. We were not a good hitting team early in the year, while Swindle was acclimating to collegiate ball. Phillips early in the year was terrible, but she's been on a tear the last month. Madi is Madi - she won't replicate such a bad match. 

I see this as Stanford in 4 or 5.  We are a different team than we were 3 months ago. As always, depends which Wenaas shows up.  Good Jenna - we might win.  Bad Jenna - we might get swept. 

Considering this is a down/rebuilding year - we made the Elite 8, so we played exactly to our seed's expectancy. Anything after last night is just gravy. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I think if blocking is on, ball control is better, and we can get the middles involved more, then it could be a whole different match than the beginning of the year. But I don’t think we can afford a typical Texas slow start.

Also, IIRC Stanfords defense was outstanding the first time we played them - nothing was hitting the floor. They have looked more normal in the other matches I have watched haha 

They decided the replay was “inconclusive.” It was clear as day. They just didn’t want to end the match on that call, IMO. So very Big12 of them. 

Didn’t want lawyerball. 

They should have replayed the point 

Yeah I can totally see not wanting a great playoff match to end on that point, but yeah, in that case it should have been a replay, not a point to Tennessee imho. But we won, so ok, cool. HookEm.

Edited by wood

1 minute ago, wood said:

That' what I figured too, but what was the call that gave them the point in the first place after Ella threw it down on their side. Tennessee was obviously in the net, as was Ella after the fact, but the refs just saying Tennessee didn't net wouldn't do that. The refs had already awarded Tennessee the point before Coach initiated the review. What call was that based on? The announcers never seemed to know for sure either.

Illegal attack on Swindle. See above. If the libero overhands with her fingers in front of the 10m line, it’s a set and not a dig and the hitter cannot contact it once it’s above the net unless the Tennessee player touched it first. They ruled Ella touched it before the net happened and replay wasn’t conclusive on which action happened first. 

If the libero player makes an overhand finger pass from the front zone, players may not attack the ball while it remains above the top of the net.

8 minutes ago, texfan11 said:

I think if blocking is on, ball control is better, and we can get the middles involved more, then it could be a whole different match than the beginning of the year. But I don’t think we can afford a typical Texas slow start.

Also, IIRC Stanfords defense was outstanding the first time we played them - nothing was hitting the floor. They have looked more normal in the other matches I have watched haha 

If last night’s Stanford shows up, we are done in 3 or 4. If the one against UH shows up, it’s a 5 setter 

18 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Stanford is almost certainly going to cheat on Skinner and force Wenaas or Phillips to beat them. They are going to get a ton of 1 v 1 opportunities. 

We need them to be terminal because my bet is they will be in very advantageous situations. 

Molly need more sets. 9 kills, no errors. You can’t ask Jenna to hit against Stanford’s 6’6 OPP or she’s going to hit about -.400. Need to get Jenna and Madi up against 6’1 Rubin. 

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Illegal attack on Swindle. See above. If the libero overhands with her fingers in front of the 10m line, it’s a set and not a dig and the hitter cannot contact it once it’s above the net unless the Tennessee player touched it first. They ruled Ella touched it before the net happened and replay wasn’t conclusive on which action happened first. 

Yeah now I see it after watching it back again. The announcers never seemed to understand what was being reviewed which added to my confusion. Ella did touch it before Tennessee netted, so I guess they eventually got it right.  The announcer dude did get one thing right imho ... "If the review takes this long then it should just be a replay".

Edited by wood

18 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Molly need more sets. 9 kills, no errors. You can’t ask Jenna to hit against Stanford’s 6’6 OPP or she’s going to hit about -.400. Need to get Jenna and Madi up against 6’1 Rubin. 

Jesus that's a huge oppo. I've never understood why more coaches don't run a really big oppo out there to block when they have more than 2 good middles. My son's idiot AJV 18U coach comes to mind. He gone now. They let him go. He was so bad that Mick told him he owed the team an apology given the amount of talent on the team.

Edited by wood

1 minute ago, wood said:

Jesus that's a huge oppo. I've never understood why more coaches don't run a really big oppo out there to block when they have more than 2 good middles, esp the coaches who rarely get the ball to the oppo anyway (my son's idiot AJV coach comes to mind. He gone now).

Wisky has a 6’9 OPP. So there 

• Drool 1

I think it was late in the 4th that the ref told Asjia to stop staring down the Tennessee players after her blocks. You see her motion to her eyes and then the Tennessee side while talking to the floor official by the scorer’s table prior to the serve. 

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I think it was late in the 4th that the ref told Asjia to stop staring down the Tennessee players after her blocks. You see her motion to her eyes and then the Tennessee side while talking to the floor official by the scorer’s table prior to the serve. 

I like it

not the ref

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

That's fucking bullshit. 

The ref.

Not Asjia.

I've seen that a million times. Never seen anyone get a warning for it. Must be a Rig 12 ref.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, ATXbronco said:

We do play at 9, yea

Pitt regional final - 3pm

Nebraska regional final - 5pm

Wisconsin regional final - 7pm

Stanford regional final - 9pm

All on ESPNU

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 2

@ATXbronco, we always start off with Molly in right front and Barnes serving. Which means as soon as we side out the opponent, Molly rotates out and Akana comes in to serve and play defense for her. Molly comes back in 2 rotations later when Akana moves from left back to left front and Phillips comes back in to play the 3 front row rotations. That’s why she usually gets a kill or two early in the set and then rotates out. 

Just now, ATXbronco said:

Okay, thanks for that info.  That's helpful!

I watched our championship last season and Molly seemed to play almost all the time and was constantly making awesome plays.

If we can go on runs serving, she stays in longer. Barnes is our best server, so that’s why we start with her. 

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

If Oregon extends this match to a 4th set, we'll probably either start on ESPN-News or ESPN3

I’m okay with that, because I have discovered Hannah Pukis.

(The last photo may be someone else… butt I included it because I liked it.)

IMG_0993.jpeg

IMG_0994.jpeg

IMG_0995.thumb.jpeg.1acff8035004b44dd055875d0bd29d26.jpeg

IMG_0997.jpeg

IMG_0998.jpeg

IMG_0999.jpeg

IMG_0996.png

IMG_1001.webp

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Drool 1

• blacklab changed the title to 2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!