RIP Pee Wee Herman

BigDHornfan

PWBA became one of the most quoted movies in our household.  We must have rewound and watched the Large Marge scene 1000 times and laughed every time.  

I didn't realize until just a few years ago that it was also Tim Burton's directorial debut.

That movie was a huge part of my late childhood. 

RIP Paul.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

And for those who do not want to click on a Twitter link:

Reveal hidden contents

In 2013, I was going through a nasty divorce and bitter custody battle. My ex-wife took our home, and I had to move into a motel temporarily. To make matters worse, she wouldn't let me see our daughter except once a weekend in exchange for "child support". During those weekends, I spent every waking minute taking my daughter all over Sarasota, never knowing when I'd be able to see her again.

At nights, we'd binge on #PeeWeeHerman for months until she became the world's youngest Pee Wee fan. In 2014, with the divorce behind me and now having full custody of my daughter, I emailed Paul Reubens on Facebook of all things to thank him for making my childhood so much fun and for helping my daughter and I through hard times. Shockingly, he responded with an inspirational message and asked me for my phone number. Honestly, I was terrified, but I gave it to him.

The next day, Paul called, and we talked for 10 minutes about the divorce, my job, my daughter, and of course, his amazing work. He asked me to save his number and to call him next month as he was going out of town for a few weeks. A month later, I gave him a call, and amazingly, Paul Reubens invited us to his mother's home in Sarasota. He met my daughter, who was only 3 and showed us props from his show and movies and even fed us juice and snacks by his private lake where my daughter chased ducks.

We didn't want to overstay our welcome so we left within the hour but I will never forget the day my daughter and I got to hang out with the person who showed us just how fun even the most mundane activities could be with a little imagination. Thank you, Paul.

They talked about this the other day on the Ticket.  Quite a story.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

Halloween weekend 2010, and Texas was playing Baylor. That same Saturday, Fat Tire Ale had their Tour de Fat festival on the east side. The wife and I were going to that for the slow bike parade and costume party. We texted my folks who were in town for the game and told them we would meet up at Scholz’s with them as they were there pregame. My dad was worried about finding us. I laughed and told him we would be easy to spot. Just head out to San Jac.
Not sure if he was more embarrassed by me or his DIL dressed as a naughty Dottie
Biking back to the car, EVERY tailgate we passed had to have us stop by for pictures. Drank a lot of beer before getting back.

Anyway,…Fuck Cancer. RIP Paul/ PW Herman
Say hi to my Dad for me.

6c3d3e7cd528d9ca5067fd3200871a17.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 4

On 8/2/2023 at 9:42 AM, Guadaloopy said:

PWBA became one of the most quoted movies in our household.  We must have rewound and watched the Large Marge scene 1000 times and laughed every time.  

I didn't realize until just a few years ago that it was also Tim Burton's directorial debut.

That movie was a huge part of my late childhood. 

RIP Paul.

Pretty cool panel where he talked bout how Burton came to direct it.

• Like 1

On 8/5/2023 at 9:05 PM, atomheartbevo said:

Pretty cool panel where he talked bout how Burton came to direct it.

Thank you for posting that.

When my youngest son was born in 1988 we always watched the Playhouse. One of the great shows of all time and all of the Pee Wee movies were teriffic.

Love Pee Wee and he sounds like such a great guy.

He will be missed.

• 3 weeks later...