Hunting ‘23/‘24: Bag ‘em and Tag ‘em

43 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

There isn’t much better than a massive 8. Wow. Amazing how a dude like that just “shows up”.  Really makes you wonder what rarely comes out to be seen 

We get a lot of transient deer (and an odd exotic every now and again) coming from the river bed and across from the other side.  

• Like 1

Never been to DSC. I may go this year, want a trophy mule deer hunt. Whats the cost to attend, member vs nonmember $?
Why is it moving to Atlanta? No suitable alt. dates or venues closer? Sounds odd

https://www.biggame.org/day-pass-purchase/

$35 for a day pass. I think they said they are remodeling the Kay Bailey Conv center. They also announced they are going to have a summer Dallas convention starting in ‘25.

On 1/5/2024 at 7:11 AM, 686 said:

My job has been really stressful the last year, but I’m making a lot more money than I did a few years ago. I have worked really hard over my career, we don’t have any debt, and have saved/invested pretty well. Also, I turned 45 last year, and the mountains are getting steeper, packs are getting heavier, recoil is getting harder, and my eyes are getting worse. My left calf and Achilles tendon hasn’t been the same since we packed out my elk and my buddy’s mule deer buck in November.

I’m at the “F it let’s do this” stage of my hunting career, before I can’t really do it anymore.

Future years trips I want to make:
-Alaska caribou

My brother and I booked a week long hunt for Caribou up on the north slope in September 2026. For the outfitter we went with, the earliest you can book is 3 years out.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Wouldn't a good muzzle break tame some of those larger magnums? My 50 BMG is just a single shot bolt action,  but the recoil is manageable because the muzzle break does such a good job.  It takes it more of a big push instead of a sharp kick. Of course, it feels like a grenade exploded in front of your face, and you really don't want to shoot it from a prone position because it pushes you back so far, but I can’t imagine trying to shoot it without one. 

Edited by NotActuallyALonghorn

Wouldn't a good muzzle break tame some of those larger magnums? My 50 BMG is just a single shot bolt action,  but the recoil is manageable because the muzzle break does such a good job.  It takes it more of a big push instead of a sharp kick. Of course, it feels like a grenade exploded in front of your face, and you really don't want to shoot it from a prone position because it pushes you back so far, but I can’t imagine trying to shoot it without one. 

Yes, brakes do reduce the recoil. But they increase the noise and muzzle blast. The muzzle blast bothers me more than the recoil these days. My left ear hasn’t stopped ringing since I pulled the trigger on my 2021 elk. 300 Wby with a muzzle brake, no ear protection. I was next to a tree that bounced a bunch of the blast/noise at my left ear. I’ve done tons of other loud shit over the ears with no ear pro, its cumulative, but that was the event that started the tinnitus I will live with maybe from now on. Also, muzzle brakes make it really loud for your guide/PH/tracker. It is inconsiderate/uncouth to shoot a braked rifle on a guided hunt or on an African hunt. The African Professional Hunters (guides) aren’t going to put on ear protection - they need to hear everything going on and speak in whispers to you and the trackers. There usually standing next to you and slightly behind, right where the muzzle blast is going. That’s why I’m going to a suppressor on my hunting rig. When game is busting out of the forest in front of you, it just doesn’t really work to start digging around for your ear pro and cramming it in your ears. Electronics can be nice but kind of impractical to wear all day, and if your not wearing it then your in the same boat of trying to dig them out again when a shooter suddenly steps out. Muffs are too awkward to deal with on a mountain hunt or safari IMO. I’ve had a heavy steel suppressor for years, too heavy to comfortably mountain hunt with, but hopefully the 8oz titianium unit Im getting along with a 24” barrel in lieu of 26”will be the weight/length/sound and recoil dampening compromise I’m looking for.
  • Hook 'Em 1

My brother and I booked a week long hunt for Caribou up on the north slope in September 2026. For the outfitter we went with, the earliest you can book is 3 years out.

I just saw a headline about more units maybe going “locals only” for caribou. Is that just for the units around Kotsube? I’ve been looking at 40 mile heard hunts out of Tok.
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, 686 said:

I just saw a headline about more units maybe going “locals only” for caribou. Is that just for the units around Kotsube? I’ve been looking at 40 mile heard hunts out of Tok.

I'm not sure. The outfitter we booked with runs out of Deadhorse. They take you south, up river towards the Brooks Range, 40 or so miles and drop you off. It's a do it yourself hunt.

https://www.deadhorseoutfitters.com/

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

@686  Thanks for all the info.  And that zebra hide is sweet!

Last year, some friends and I started kicking around the idea of going to RSA in 2024.  While researching safari outfitters at the Texas Trophy Hunters Extravaganza in FTW last August, I met a guy local to DFW whose friend co-owns Little Africa Hunting Safaris.  This guy organizes a group of family, friends, and others to go over each season.  He and his dad (a glob-trotting hunter going back at least 40 years) are well connected and have the end-to-end experience down to a science, from travel to taxidermy and customs.  So, when my friends decided to push to 2025, I thought, get busy living or get busy dying, and I signed up to go along with the group this June.  I figured that going solo my first time, it would be nice to tag along with seasoned veterans.  They have been a tremendous resource and very, very supportive.  I'll be hunting the Eastern Cape for 10 days, allowing 4 days travel (yes, we are flying via ATL).

RE: rifle.  Originally I was going to rent a rifle while there - no way I'm trusting my dad's rifle to an airline and international travel.  Then I said eff it I'm buying a new gun for this.  @fattyflattie is right in that I'm looking for a rifle experience different from my dad's Mark V (and I didn't realize it, but maybe I am looking to start a new legacy, too).  Besides, that rifle was great 40 years ago but it's heavy, 1 MOA on a good day, the action is hard to work (even after being 'smithed), and ammo is hard to find.  And, honestly, it's an absolute beating to shoot 200gr @ 3000fps with no brake.  Talking to guys who hunt there, people going after the same game I'm targeting have success with 308, 260, 270, 6.5CM, and 300.  I'm hoping that going down to a 180gr 300WM plus a brake (possibly a suppressor if I can keep OAL down) might make shooting slightly more tolerable.  I'm assured that shooting with a brake is OK and common, at least where I'm going and with no dangerous game on the list (for this trip). 

RE: DSC.  I haven't researched Nilgai yet (thanks for references!) but I figured DSC would be a good starting point.  Same with Argentina, though I have one lead there.  For Elk, I'm looking for private land but more of a "low fence" experience - my understanding is that is doable.  Need to look into spring turkey, too, if not too late to book for this year.

• Like 1

Talk to your PH about having a muzzle brake on your rifle.  Many do not allow or discourage them.  Just too damn loud.  I was in Namibia several years ago and another group in the camp(I was there as a cull shooter)all had new rifles with brakes.  Went out the first afternoon to make sure their rifles were on target.  This particular camp had a tin roof over the shooting bench.  First shot, the PH was standing beside the shooter and the shot ruptured both eardrums.  Clear liquid was coming out of his ears, and he was in tremendous pain.  We did not see that PH again.  Master PH made them unscrew the brakes and tape up the threads so they did not get damaged.  

All PH will encourage and welcome suppressors.  

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Gladeite said:

Talk to your PH about having a muzzle brake on your rifle.  Many do not allow or discourage them.  Just too damn loud.  I was in Namibia several years ago and another group in the camp(I was there as a cull shooter)all had new rifles with brakes.  Went out the first afternoon to make sure their rifles were on target.  This particular camp had a tin roof over the shooting bench.  First shot, the PH was standing beside the shooter and the shot ruptured both eardrums.  Clear liquid was coming out of his ears, and he was in tremendous pain.  We did not see that PH again.  Master PH made them unscrew the brakes and tape up the threads so they did not get damaged.  

All PH will encourage and welcome suppressors.  

Suppressors for should be strongly encouraged in the USofA with no barriers to acquisition. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, solamente73 said:

Besides, that rifle was great 40 years ago but it's heavy, 1 MOA on a good day, the action is hard to work (even after being 'smithed),

That really sucks to hear.  I’ve only bought a few “new” bolt actions in the last 20 years, but have stacked the safe with Weatherby, Sako, and Winchesters from the 50’s and 60’s. Every one of them, to the rifle, has absolute silky actions. I haven’t found the perfect load for each of them, but the ones I’ve worked up have all been shooters (sub MOA 5 shot groups)  Some love regular old core lokt and power points, some needed something more bespoke, but that happens with off the shelf rifles, too.  Such is the pursuit of one jagged hole.  My 70’s have been the most difficult, for sure.  1 MOA for them is the goal  

*several had already had blueprint and barrel work done.   

My opinion, and it’s only worth what you’re paying for it, lose the break.  Get a can, get a really good pad, hell wear one of the gel pads. A proper fitting stock goes a long way.    I’ve always been a bit recoil adverse, but I don’t really get bothered until a bit past a 300WM.  I’ve got a little .308 that hurts me more than most of my wbys, the gun absolutely matters.      

• Hook 'Em 1

[mention=2146]686[/mention]  Thanks for all the info.  And that zebra hide is sweet!
Last year, some friends and I started kicking around the idea of going to RSA in 2024.  While researching safari outfitters at the Texas Trophy Hunters Extravaganza in FTW last August, I met a guy local to DFW whose friend co-owns Little Africa Hunting Safaris.  This guy organizes a group of family, friends, and others to go over each season.  He and his dad (a glob-trotting hunter going back at least 40 years) are well connected and have the end-to-end experience down to a science, from travel to taxidermy and customs.  So, when my friends decided to push to 2025, I thought, get busy living or get busy dying, and I signed up to go along with the group this June.  I figured that going solo my first time, it would be nice to tag along with seasoned veterans.  They have been a tremendous resource and very, very supportive.  I'll be hunting the Eastern Cape for 10 days, allowing 4 days travel (yes, we are flying via ATL).
RE: rifle.  Originally I was going to rent a rifle while there - no way I'm trusting my dad's rifle to an airline and international travel.  Then I said eff it I'm buying a new gun for this.  [mention=205]fattyflattie[/mention] is right in that I'm looking for a rifle experience different from my dad's Mark V (and I didn't realize it, but maybe I am looking to start a new legacy, too).  Besides, that rifle was great 40 years ago but it's heavy, 1 MOA on a good day, the action is hard to work (even after being 'smithed), and ammo is hard to find.  And, honestly, it's an absolute beating to shoot 200gr @ 3000fps with no brake.  Talking to guys who hunt there, people going after the same game I'm targeting have success with 308, 260, 270, 6.5CM, and 300.  I'm hoping that going down to a 180gr 300WM plus a brake (possibly a suppressor if I can keep OAL down) might make shooting slightly more tolerable.  I'm assured that shooting with a brake is OK and common, at least where I'm going and with no dangerous game on the list (for this trip). 
RE: DSC.  I haven't researched Nilgai yet (thanks for references!) but I figured DSC would be a good starting point.  Same with Argentina, though I have one lead there.  For Elk, I'm looking for private land but more of a "low fence" experience - my understanding is that is doable.  Need to look into spring turkey, too, if not too late to book for this year.

Thanks regarding the zebra rug - my taxi did an absolutely primo job on it - I’ve never seen a nicer rug. Zebras are awesome plains game and the rugs are really great.

Really great that you are going with a group - I put together a small group for my 2018 safari and it was a lot of fun that way.

Regarding caliber- you could look at 7 Rem mag as well; the 155grain Federal Terminal Ascent (the old Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullet) is excellent in that chambering from my experience, and should be about 20% less recoil than the 300win mag with a 180 grain (20lbs vs 25lbs per Chuck Hawks). The Barnes 150gr TTSX would also be a good candidate.
  • Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

That really sucks to hear.  I’ve only bought a few “new” bolt actions in the last 20 years, but have stacked the safe with Weatherby, Sako, and Winchesters from the 50’s and 60’s. Every one of them, to the rifle, has absolute silky actions. I haven’t found the perfect load for each of them, but the ones I’ve worked up have all been shooters (sub MOA 5 shot groups)  Some love regular old core lokt and power points, some needed something more bespoke, but that happens with off the shelf rifles, too.  Such is the pursuit of one jagged hole.  My 70’s have been the most difficult, for sure.  1 MOA for them is the goal  

*several had already had blueprint and barrel work done.   

My opinion, and it’s only worth what you’re paying for it, lose the break.  Get a can, get a really good pad, hell wear one of the gel pads. A proper fitting stock goes a long way.    I’ve always been a bit recoil adverse, but I don’t really get bothered until a bit past a 300WM.  I’ve got a little .308 that hurts me more than most of my wbys, the gun absolutely matters.      

I have a couple Sako bolt actions. One is an older Bofors 243. The stock needs a little work but have hesitated stripping it down not knowing if that has a huge depreciation tag that comes with it. I never plan on selling it so not sure why resale value matters. What is your thought? Any and all of you gun dudes feel free to chime in.

5 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

I have a couple Sako bolt actions. One is an older Bofors 243. The stock needs a little work but have hesitated stripping it down not knowing if that has a huge depreciation tag that comes with it. I never plan on selling it so not sure why resale value matters. What is your thought? Any and all of you gun dudes feel free to chime in.

Finishes mean nothing to me when taking the shot.  Action, machining, fitting the barrel to the action, barrel, type of barrel, rifling and proper scope  to mount fit and glass bed / float mean everything.  

A pretty walnut stock, while nice, won’t deliver accuracy and consistency.  

You mean deer don’t have a preference on a pretty vs dinged up stock :)

Cant tell by your response if you are saying leave it as is dings and all, who cares about the usage scars or appearance doesn’t matter one way or the other do what you want. Thanks for the reply.

6 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

You mean deer don’t have a preference on a pretty vs dinged up stock :)

Cant tell by your response if you are saying leave it as is dings and all, who cares about the usage scars or appearance doesn’t matter one way or the other do what you want. Thanks for the reply.

Regarding looks, absolutely.  Battle scars, whisky dents, gun oil stains, the travel and blood that goes into the lore of an old rifle is what’s important.

Would you rather have a pristine guitar or Willie Nelson’s Trigger? 

Edited by deadshank
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, RMac5 said:

Refinishing affects purist collector value.  But I wouldn’t even think twice.  Whether it’s pre-Garcia, spotter, finnbear, deluxe, etc matters much more.  But since you’re going to hang onto it forever, irrelevant.    There was a time when wood just wouldn’t have the accuracy of fiberglass, but with stabilized stocks, alum bedding, and others, that’s no longer the case.  I don’t disagree with Shank that it’s not the “important” part of the equation, but there’s a hell of a difference between holding a gorgeous piece of hand carved wood. I’m sure H&H and Westley Richards could nail the fiberglass thing, but…

As far as dents and dings telling a story.  Not untrue. But exterior surface rust doesn’t hurt accuracy or function either, and no one not wiping their bluing down after a wet jaunt.  Would say that’s just personal preference.  I would never fix the dents and dings in the guns my G-G-grandfather passed down.   But I’ve certainly fixed the checkering I dinged on one of mine, and had some dents pulled after an unfortunate accident (not mine :( ) when I let someone check one out for a min.   I’m not advocating dragging a Blaser onto a mountain trip, but to and from the blind isn’t that hard to keep them unscathed imo. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Thank you both and I really appreciate the info. Here’s my deal. I’m more of a bow hunter and don’t use a rifle very often but do like buying them. I have twin boys and actually bought this Sako 243 for one of them. They really never got excited or showed an interest in the sport. The Sako has no sentimental value to me at all, it just hangs out in the safe. Overall the finish isn’t bad, has those typical light scratches in the varnish or whatever the top coat is plus minor little dings. If it had been handed down from family,  I would even consider changing the finish. I do have a new Sako and really like the oil rubbed finish over the glossy type finish and was just curious about the long term consequences of doing such. Even if I do change the finish, it will still just hang in the safe. Thanks again!

17 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I’ve got a little .308 that hurts me more than most of my wbys, the gun absolutely matters.

This.

Worst pistol I've ever fired was a little S&M featherlight snubby .357mag.  Felt like I'd grabbed an electric fence.  Compare this to .454's, 44mags, even a .50.  The weight of those mitigates most of the recoil.

Worst rifle I ever fired was a Mosin-Nagant carbine in 7.62 x 54.  Tiny little stock with a metal butt plate shooting what could be compared to a 7mm mag.  Shoulder was blue for days

image.png.14a3ffee6eec6e463607218714532525.png

On 1/4/2024 at 7:36 AM, deadshank said:

One of the lads in our deer camp whacked this boar last night.   

Hefty for south Texas. 

IMG_0284.jpeg

IMG_0285.jpeg

I have hunted south Texas for almost 40 years since I was a small child.  I think we have had two boars weigh in over 300.  Nice work.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

I have hunted south Texas for almost 40 years since I was a small child.  I think we have had two boars weigh in over 300.  Nice work.

Yeah a true 300# down there (and lots of other places) is pretty legit.  People say it a lot, but actually on the scale.    A girl on our place killed a MASSIVE pig this year, wish they would have put it on the scale.  Far and away the biggest I had ever seen there. 

17 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

Yeah a true 300# down there (and lots of other places) is pretty legit.  People say it a lot, but actually on the scale.    A girl on our place killed a MASSIVE pig this year, wish they would have put it on the scale.  Far and away the biggest I had ever seen there. 

Yep, everyone thinks they're 300+lbs until they get them on the scale

• Hook 'Em 1

Never got this before from them but I just received 3 codes from First Lite to share my LEO discount (30% off) (edit- I’m assuming the discount I’m sharing will also be 30%…)

Looks like First Lite only, FHF gear, Phelps and Meateater excluded. I know some of y’all use it, I’m pretty sure one of y’all here recommended them to me 4-5 years ago…

3 codes are one time use, so first come first serve. Message me here.

I don’t want to post them, don’t want someone googling & swipe them from y’all.

ae2ecdb838fc243a3438a3e02d1a6dab.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

This afternoon was awesome. My uncle, second cousin, and a friend. Mix of white wing and mourning doves. Told some old stories and had a lot of laughs. So many birds you could be really selective and only shoot what you know you can hit, not be in a rush as three more fly by as you’re reloading or retrieving. Weather turned out great too after all the wind died down from this morning.

9cb21490cf7b5701e38a2861b4d3b1bc.jpg

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Speedtrucker said:

Never got this before from them but I just received 3 codes from First Lite to share my LEO discount (30% off) (edit- I’m assuming the discount I’m sharing will also be 30%…)

Looks like First Lite only, FHF gear, Phelps and Meateater excluded. I know some of y’all use it, I’m pretty sure one of y’all here recommended them to me 4-5 years ago…

3 codes are one time use, so first come first serve. Message me here.

I don’t want to post them, don’t want someone googling & swipe them from y’all.

ae2ecdb838fc243a3438a3e02d1a6dab.jpg

They make great gear - comparable to Sitka/Kuiu and priced as such.  I have a bunch of their merino wool base layers, gloves, and pants.  

1 hour ago, Da Fino said:

Awesome brows. He’s going to hurt a buddy with those. 

Apparently he must be the boss of the area.  No tines broken.  Nobody challenging him.  

21 minutes ago, RMac5 said:

How old you think he is? I’m guessing 5.5

I’d wager 6.5 at least.  Big butt; saddle-worn back; beefy withers; brisket, chest and upper front legs at shoulders all built up plus all that weight still on him post rut.  

Who knows?  Aging him is an art until the ground hog delivers his mail then it’s a science. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1