Driving from Austin to Gulf Shores

hornbri

Driving from Austin to Gulf Shores next week. I will have a 3 and 6 year old with me (wish me luck) so thinking of splitting it into two days, suggestions in where to stop (Lafayette seams like the obvious halfway)? I suppose we could go all the way to NOLA but it is not quite the same place with kids...

Also any must eats along the way (not in NOLA I know those, been many times)?

7 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Yeah, Baton Rouge or even on to Biloxi (or Hammond or Slidell). Don’t drive down 10 to NO. And don’t hit BR at rush hour. That’s a huge mistake. 

We did Austin-Biloxi last summer, and then on to Destin the next morning.  It's only a couple of hours from Biloxi to Gulf Shores, which may or may not be "ideal" as far as the drive split goes, especially with young ones.

The I-10 tunnel in Mobile could be detrimental to your mental health. Summertime backups are often horrendous. Start checking traffic soon after you cross the state line, and be prepared to take an alternate route through Mobile.  

The I-10 tunnel in Mobile could be detrimental to your mental health. Summertime backups are often horrendous. Start checking traffic soon after you cross the state line, and be prepared to take an alternate route through Mobile.  

Stay as far right as you can and merge left only when necessary. Will cut a few miles off the backup.

3 hours ago, Eddyline said:

Always a crap shoot.  I went through today headed west @ 1:00pm and there was no wait on the eastbound side.  Cars flying into the tunnel at 50mph headed to FL. 

An hour later and it could be a 45min delay easy.   Waze or similar apps will get you the right route but start looking ahead of time. If you realize there’s a backup yourself it’s too late. - Eddy is spot on. 

Favorite dishes in Lafayette area:  Olde Tyme Grocery shrimp po boy.  French Press Cajun Benedict (badfuckingass gumbo) and loaded Blue Cheese breakfast potatoes.  Snapper at Bon Temps Grill.   Cupids Daiquiris for a Rajun Cajun TNT for a nightcap. 

Recently renovated Comfort Suites in Scott is relatively inexpensive and convenient off of I-10.  

If you can somehow swing the Sunday brunch at Little Big Cup in Arnaudville, (20 min drive from Breaux Bridge), hit that sumbitch up and thank me later.  Popped a little chub just thinking about it...