Texas Women’s Basketball 2023-2024: Handing out ass whoopins and lollipops, and we’re all out of lollipops

Pancho

16 minutes ago, Gut Wagon said:

I didn't pull out the quotes in which Ejim and one of the Truong sisters basically said it wasn't our D...they just failed to run their sets. Pretty delusional take. 

Gave no credit to our defense. At all.

I am so grateful we have Vic on our side 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just hope we get that kind of D against NC State. And a way better version of Booker. We'll need both. 

Don't know why Maddie kept deferring on offense, but she didn't seem comfortable at all last night. Maybe Vic was demanding she feed the bigs, but she obviously could have overpowered Gonzaga's perimeter D if she wanted to. Hard for me to imagine early foul trouble is all that threw her into that funk for the rest of the game. Didn't see any post-game comments about that, but perhaps one of you did. 

• Like 1

I doubt she has back to back bad games. Maybe it was nerves, maybe it was the environment, maybe it was something specific that Gonzaga was doing to her defensively. She didn’t seem comfortable and seemed sped up and unsure. 

Hopefully she got it out of her system. Your team survived your no-show performance to get to the Elite 8. Pressure should be off tomorrow, because your team is ready to pick you up, Book.

Jones being on the bench likely means she had some symptoms after the Bama game, but wasn’t fully cleared or I doubt she would have been on the bench if she had a full on concussion. Hoping she’s good to go Sunday after a full week

Edited by Js1

Ehh Gonzaga was in their emotions. They just beat big bad P12 Utah and thought they owned the world. Considering where they come from that college and city is approving God’s Gift territory. Their guards were sooo trying to have that swagger and it just wasn’t working.

Oh well, now our EE game is on the mothership! Holler

That arena was dead last night too. Felt like the quietest 10k person crowd. We took the Zag fans out of it quickly when we went up 14-7 and never looked back. The closest they got in the second half was to cut it to 12 (41-29) and Shaylee quickly put an end to that 

6 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Ehh Gonzaga was in their emotions. They just beat big bad P12 Utah and thought they owned the world. Considering where they come from that college and city is approving God’s Gift territory. Their guards were sooo trying to have that swagger and it just wasn’t working.

Oh well, now our EE game is on the mothership! Holler

Was the UConn game the last time we got ABC? 

1 hour ago, Gut Wagon said:

Poor Zags didn't see what Texas' D did to them, even after it was all over. Something tells me they wouldn't enjoy playing in the B12.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2024/mar/29/gonzaga-women-go-cold-in-first-half-of-69-47-loss-/

Wtf is this bullshit???

"Gonzaga had a scary moment in the waning seconds when graduate forward Eliza Hollingsworth was moving toward the basket when she was fouled hard by Gonzales."

There was no "hard foul". Hell, there wasn't even a foul, even though those whistle-happy dorks called one. She just came down wrong and rolled her ankle.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, Gut Wagon said:

I didn't pull out the quotes in which Ejim and one of the Truong sisters basically said it wasn't our D...they just failed to run their sets. Pretty delusional take. 

That's what Vic's defense does. He speeds you up and forces you to run offense out of system with all the pressure.  

This is what the halftime reporters were talking about. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Maybe it was something specific that Gonzaga was doing to her defensively. She didn’t seem comfortable and seemed sped up and unsure. 

Gonzaga's D was focused on Booker. They ran a lot of extended traps and some version of a box in 1 where they would help on her in the midrange. 

It was effective on her but I don't think it's a very good strategy. Gonzeles, Holle, Moore, and Muhammad were getting open looks all night because they were over helping on Booker. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Js1 said:

Sometimes Jak looks like she’s never touched a basketball before lol 

I may get the fu for saying this, but I'm gonna be honest about it. I hope to see her in the portal. She has double to triple the turnover rate per minute played as S & S and Gisella and worse than Maddie. Maddie has a whole lot of reasons that are legitimate reasons for a high turnover ratio. Jak is a sophomore, she does not. When Jak came in is when Gonzaga made a run, and that seems to be the case every game. A rash of turnovers and stupid fouls is how you let a team back in the game and end up losing. I just think Texas will have better options either with Freshmen or portal players.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, Hard Times said:

I may get the fu for saying this, but I'm gonna be honest about it. I hope to see her in the portal. She has double to triple the turnover rate per minute played as S & S and Gisella and worse than Maddie. Maddie has a whole lot of reasons that are legitimate reasons for a high turnover ratio. Jak is a sophomore, she does not. When Jak came in is when Gonzaga made a run, and that seems to be the case every game. A rash of turnovers and stupid fouls is how you let a team back in the game and end up losing. I just think Texas will have better options either with Freshmen or portal players.

I don’t disagree. I’d rather use the scholarship on a shooter 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Gonzaga's D was focused on Booker. They ran a lot of extended traps and some version of a box in 1 where they would help on her in the midrange. 

Yeah she looked confused by it but it did lead to a lot of open looks or one on one opportunities for our interior players and Shay/Shaylee. I think it was good that everyone else got involved and picked up Booker. Takes the pressure off her. Wes Moore is going to have to pick his poison

Also big ups to Maul coming in and running point in the first half when Booker had to go off the floor due to fouls 

1 minute ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It seems very unlikely Jak and Muhammad return. There aren't going to be minutes assuming Holle returns and then Booker likely moving back to the 3/4. 

I’d keep Amina over Jak, if I had to pick. 

Losing Harmon sucks but the 1 benefit is we are now a team capable of shooting from the perimeter. 

Our starting 5 at the beginning of the year was Harmon, Gonzales, and Muhammad. 2 of those players really aren't shooters. The starting 5 is now Booker, Gonzeles, and Holle. From a roster perspective, we are now much more capable of shooting than we were at the beginning of the year. 

6 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’d keep Amina over Jak, if I had to pick. 

Yeah, seems like Muhammad had a bit of regression this year but she was really good last night. I think she can still be a good player. 

Definitely the type player you win big with as your 6th or 7th man. I'm just not sure she wants to be that. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

It was effective on her but I don't think it's a very good strategy. Gonzeles, Holle, Moore, and Muhammad were getting open looks all night because they were over helping on Booker. 

Yeah, there were multiple times when Booker had the ball inside that the defense collapsed on her and she was triple-teamed.

The player that doesn't get enough love is Shay Holle. IMO she's one of the most underrated players in college basketball. 

She guards the best perimeter player every night and does it extremely well. She can shoot from 3. She's a really good offensive rebounder. She can also give you 30+ minutes a night. 

We were already really good but I think the turning point in the season was recognizing that Holle needed to play 30+ minutes a night. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Who all do we lose next year?

Gonzales is the only player that doesn't have eligibility. So we could return almost everyone. 

But we are going to lose more players. There are already 3 or 4 players not getting much playing time and that's with multiple 5 stars coming in. Players like Jak, Muhammad, Gaston, etc could also start at other schools so we have to convince them to come off the bench next year. 

37 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

🤘 Awesome 🤘

Texas Women's Basketball NCAA Tournament Gonzaga Postgame Press Conference [March 29, 2024]

I usually avoid watching these PCs because of this reason but I watched some of this one and want to bitch again- the press question portion are a complete waste of everyone’s time as they have no good questions that add any value. It’s all stuff like “you played well and won the game, talk a little about that” or “how important is [starting player] to your success?” or specific to this one “is it neat watching Moore play now since she was hurt last year?”  

28 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I usually avoid watching these PCs because of this reason but I watched some of this one and want to bitch again- the press question portion are a complete waste of everyone’s time as they have no good questions that add any value. It’s all stuff like “you played well and won the game, talk a little about that” or “how important is [starting player] to your success?” or specific to this one “is it neat watching Moore play now since she was hurt last year?”  

They are just trying to get quotes that fit into their story, not trying to write biographies.

So much class and scrap in this team and it's been coached into them.  I liked his comments about playing with an edge and AMo talking about being the villain.   There's a difference between playing with and edge and playing like thugs and outright trying to humiliate the other team like Mulkey's crews have always done.  Mulkey counts on her players getting into the other team's heads.  Vic wants his getting into their passing lanes, on their boards.  

I hate to think about losing Muhammed too, she always brings a certain focused energy with her when she comes in.

• Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I enjoyed the players answers -- and Vic was so proud and damn near crying because of the exceptional defense the Horns played against the zags. 🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

Gave no credit to our defense. At all.

I am so grateful we have Vic on our side 

I don't think these teams liked each other. You could tell from the press conference that Shaylee didn't like them from her days at BYU. 

There was also some major chirping at the start of the game. This just ended up being such an ass-kicking that the chirping stopped early. 

1 hour ago, TrashMaster G said:

Who all do we lose next year?

Shaylee and Faye for sure. We will see who else wants to come back. Quite sure Jones, Holle and Gaston will use Covid years 

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Having a post like Betts, Lee, Cardoso is such a luxury 

It's nice on the offensive end but I wouldn't trade our frontcourt on the defensive end/boards with anyone. 

The last 2 games we've shut down 2 really good bigs. Ejim (WCC player of the year) 4/10 and 4 turnovers. Cody 2/7 and 2 turnovers. 

NCAA Elite Eight: No. 1 seed Texas (33-4, 14-4 Big 12) vs. No. 3 seed NC State (30-6, 13-5 ACC)
Sunday, March 21 at 2:00 PM CT
Moda Center | Portland, Oregon
TELEVISION: The game will be nationally televised on ABC. Courtney Lyle (pxp), Carolyn Peck (analyst) and Brooke Weisbrod (reporter) will call the action.
RADIO: All women's basketball games will air in Austin on 103.1 FM, along with the web streams on TexasSports.com and the Longhorn App. Craig Way and Eryn McMahan will have the call.
ELITE EIGHT: Texas has advanced the Elite Eight for the 12th time in program history and three of the last four seasons. Texas head coach Vic Schafer has guided teams to the Elite Eight in six of his last seven seasons. The Longhorns are tied for second in terms of most Elite Eight appearances since 2021.
33 WINS: With the win over Gonzaga Texas won their 33rd game of the season, their most in a season since the 1985-86 season where they went 34-0.
LOCK DOWN DEFENSE: In the NCAA Tournament Texas is holding opponents to 47.7 points per game and 32.1 shooting from the field. Texas held a Gonzaga team averaging over 80 points per game to 34 points under their season scoring average on Friday.
Madison Hayes: 10.6 PTS, 42.9 FG%, 41.4 3PT% (55-for-133)
Zoe Brooks: 8.9 PTS, 1.3 STL, 41.9 FG%, 19.0 3PT% (12-for-63)
River Baldwin: 10.4 PTS, 7.1 REB, 1.3 BLK, 53.5 FG%
vs Elon                         W 90-35
vs Rhode Island           W 67-58
vs Kentucky                 W 84-55
vs Cincinnati                W 79-45
vs 3 Colorado              W 78-60
vs Vanderbilt                W 70-62
vs Illinois St                  W 79-61
vs Liberty                     W 80-67
@ South Florida            W 66-54
@ Old Dominion            W 87-50
@ Virginia                      W 72-61
vs 22 Florida St             W 88-80

@ 13 Virginia Tech        L 63-62
vs Virginia                     W 93-66
@ Miami                        L 73-59
vs Duke                        W 72-57
@ Clemson                   W 71-49
@ Boston College       W 82-61
vs 24 North Carolina  W 63-59
vs 15 Louisville            W 77-67

vs 16 Virginia Tech      L 72-61
@ Pitt                           W 83-47
@ 16 Notre Dame       W 59-43
vs Georgia Tech         W 86-85

@ North Carolina        L 80-70
@ Duke                       L 69-58

vs 19 Syracuse          W 75-71
vs Wake Forest         W 75-57
vs Duke                     W 54-51
vs Florida St             W 69-43

vs 14 Notre Dame    L 55-51
vs 2 Stanford          W 77-67

vs 1 Texas               3/31 2:00 pm ABC

• Hook 'Em 2

Hard to state how big this game is. Vic has a good resume at Texas already (3 Elite 8s, big 12 regular season title, 2 big 12 tournament titles, an NCAAT #1 seed) but a final four has been elusive. And of his 3 Elite 8 teams, this one is straight up favored to make the final four even without Rori 

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Hard to state how big this game is. Vic has a good resume at Texas already (3 Elite 8s, big 12 regular season title, 2 big 12 tournament titles, an NCAAT #1 seed) but a final four has been elusive. And of his 3 Elite 8 teams, this one is straight up favored to make the final four even without Rori 

Now I’m nervous. 

Angry Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

19 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Now I’m nervous. 

Angry Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

Oh I am too, don’t you worry. Huffing the BPI, Massey and betting sites that have us favored. 

Plus none of us thought we’d be here as a #1 seed in the Elite 8 the day Rori’s ACL news came out. 

Edited by Js1

Also how huge was getting that final #1 seed? No #2 seed made it to the Elite 8, and only 3 made the Sweet 16

Stanford - lost to 3 NCST

Ohio State - lost at home to Duke in the round of 32

UCLA - lost to 3 LSU

ND - lost to 3 Oregon State 

• Hook 'Em 1

Nice story and info from KXAN.   Excerpts:

“Coach Conradt means the world to me,” he said. “It’s what I envisioned when I took the job, her coming into the office and us drinking coffee the morning after the game and talking over the game. Like, how can you not value that expertise, that wisdom? I may have been coaching for 39 years, y’all, but I’m smart enough to know I can’t do it by myself.”

After she sat out of the Gonzaga game while in concussion protocol, forward Taylor Jones practiced Saturday, Schaefer said. That’s a step in the right direction for her to be available against the Wolfpack, but Schaefer didn’t confirm if she’ll play.

Texas got great minutes from Amina Muhammad, DeYona Gaston and Ndjakalenga Mwenentenda in Jones’ absence, on top of Aaliyah Moore’s tremendous game with 16 points and 10 rebounds. Texas is going to need all of its low-block players to match up with the Wolfpack’s frontcourt.

“They have a big, physical inside game, which we have to deal with a lot in the Big 12,” Schaefer said. “We’ve had to guard some really good inside players, and he (NC State coach Wes Moore) certainly has that. They’re so physical.”

https://www.kxan.com/sports/chasing-the-standard-conradts-continued-involvement-paying-huge-dividends-for-schaefer-horns-in-ncaa-run/

• Hook 'Em 1

Good news on Jones practicing yesterday. 

NCST is a lot like KSU - big post player and excellent guards. This style of play is not new to us at all. 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, torre said:

Nice story and info from KXAN.   Excerpts:

“Coach Conradt means the world to me,” he said. “It’s what I envisioned when I took the job, her coming into the office and us drinking coffee the morning after the game and talking over the game. Like, how can you not value that expertise, that wisdom? I may have been coaching for 39 years, y’all, but I’m smart enough to know I can’t do it by myself.”

After she sat out of the Gonzaga game while in concussion protocol, forward Taylor Jones practiced Saturday, Schaefer said. That’s a step in the right direction for her to be available against the Wolfpack, but Schaefer didn’t confirm if she’ll play.

Texas got great minutes from Amina Muhammad, DeYona Gaston and Ndjakalenga Mwenentenda in Jones’ absence, on top of Aaliyah Moore’s tremendous game with 16 points and 10 rebounds. Texas is going to need all of its low-block players to match up with the Wolfpack’s frontcourt.

“They have a big, physical inside game, which we have to deal with a lot in the Big 12,” Schaefer said. “We’ve had to guard some really good inside players, and he (NC State coach Wes Moore) certainly has that. They’re so physical.”

https://www.kxan.com/sports/chasing-the-standard-conradts-continued-involvement-paying-huge-dividends-for-schaefer-horns-in-ncaa-run/

Thanks for encapsulating that for us. Much appreciated.