Texas Women’s Basketball 2023-2024: Handing out ass whoopins and lollipops, and we’re all out of lollipops

Pancho

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Angel Reese declared for the draft

Real Housewives Nene GIF

Also Talia von Oelhoffen from OSU entered the portal.  Would die if we made a play for her

Fun to watch. 10.7 points, 4.1 rebounds, 5 assists, 1 steal, 0.7 blocks and 89% FT shooter.  Wasn't a great 3 point shooter this year (32%), but she was a 36% shooter her sophomore year and 43% her freshman year.  Would be a one year rental. 

OSU and WSU probably going to be decimated due to conference uncertainty. 

• Haha 1

If there is ever a time to run it back and/or add a legit player from the portal it's next season. Just look at the elite 8 teams.

LSU (losing 2 of their top players in Reese and Lith)

South Carolina (likely losing 2 of their top 3 players in Cardoso and Paopao)

Iowa (Losing Clark and a bunch of other players)

NC State (likely losing 3 starters in Baldwin, Collins, and Hayes)

USC (They lose a lot around Juju. 3 or 4 key players)

Oregon State (about to have major roster turnover due to moving conferences) 

UCONN (likely losing Bueckers, Edwards, and Griffin. 3 starters and their top 2 players).

This could be such a special team if Holle, Gaston, and Jones run it back. 

6 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

If there is ever a time to run it back and/or add a legit player from the portal it's next season. Just look at the elite 8 teams.

LSU (losing 2 of their top players in Reese and Lith)

South Carolina (likely losing 2 of their top 3 players in Cardoso and Paopao)

Iowa (Losing Clark and a bunch of other players)

NC State (likely losing 3 starters in Baldwin, Collins, and Hayes)

USC (They lose a lot around Juju. 3 or 4 key players)

Oregon State (about to have major roster turnover due to moving conferences) 

UCONN (likely losing Bueckers, Edwards, and Griffin. 3 starters and their top 2 players).

This could be such a special team if Holle, Gaston, and Jones run it back. 

Paopao is coming back to SC.  

Beuckers is coming back as well. 

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

They must have changed their minds. Both were honored on SR day. 

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39542215/uconn-star-paige-bueckers-return-2024-25-season

UConn women's basketball star Paige Bueckers announced Friday night that she's returning for the 2024-25 season, news that will send shockwaves through the Huskies and the WNBA, where she was projected to be a 2024 lottery pick.

Bueckers made the announcement in front of a packed crowd at Gampel Pavilion during a senior night ceremony following the Huskies' 85-44 victory over Georgetown.

"I know everybody wants me to address the elephant in the room," Bueckers said. "Unfortunately this will not be my last senior night here at UConn."

I could see her at somewhere like Baylor. A former WNBA coach who runs a more wide open offense. Probably the best prep she can get if she wants to end up drafted in the W

16 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

The thing is we could really use a scorer like Van Lith in a more limited role but I just don't think that fits her. They just tried that at LSU and it kind of failed. 

But she's a better version of Shaylee which I still think has some value. 

Oh we should reach out.  But I doubt she'd consider us.  But if she was opening to listening...

Posted (edited)

Van Lith is a significant upgrade over Shaylee at the 2. Better scorer, ball handler, and defender. 

Part of me says hell no but the other part says "damn let's stack talent and see what happens." I say it's very unlikely either way because of how Vic operates. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Now this could Be an ideal Shaylee replacement 

6’3 and shoots 46% from 3 and a 92% FT shooter. But her having 2 more years might be an issue if Vic is just looking for a one year rental at SG

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

According to Tennessee boards:

• Lawson is not going to be the hire - she took herself out of it
  • Walz and Frese are names, but they have "baggage"
  • Wes Moore is a name, but he's very close to Kelly Harper and her husband, so he's unlikely to even interview 
  • Jennie Baranczyk has been contacted
  • Lindsey Gotleib has been contacted, but is unlikely to move because she has JuJu and a #1 class coming in to USC
Edited by Js1

18 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I mean we are coming up on nearly 20 years since Tennessee last won a NC. 

I'm not sure what they are expecting but Pat is not coming up from the ground any time soon...

I’d guess Tennessee is trying leverage their NIL $$ as making the job appealing. They still managed to grab Rickea and Jewel in the portal despite Harper never making it past the Sweet 16 

5 minutes ago, TexEx15 said:

So then the question is this—is the rest of sports America just sick of Clark because I’ve seen no one in thousands of posts defend this call. 

I’m a ref and even I was like this when Gina made that call:

Oh No GIF by The Maury Show

36 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

No sympathy for Uconn... had a last chance if they rebound a free throw.  Still had a timeout to advance the ball.

This. no one gonna cry for Uconn on foul calls.   she stuck elbow and leg out and the Iowa player sold it.  It could have been let go but it also could have been called.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, dcar00 said:

This. no one gonna cry for Uconn on foul calls.   she stuck elbow and leg out and the Iowa player sold it.  It could have been let go but it also could have been called.

The player who fouled her was also out of control the entire game. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, alincoln said:

The player who fouled her was also out of control the entire game. 

Came to post this.   She was knocking people down on screens with no call earlier in the game.  Whining about one call at the end is pretty rich.

• Like 1

Well the amount of fans on this site who supported the foul call would have said “YOU CAN’T CALL THAT AT THIS POINT IN THE GAME!” Had the jerseys said Texas instead of UConn. 

love and hip hop hair flip GIF by VH1

Another thing they tell us when reffing is to “mirror calls” meaning if you let 2-3 things go in the 1st quarter you’ve got to let that go in the 4th quarter. That foul (sure, it was a foul) wasn’t called a lot in this game. Also, Clark had a blatant—and i mean blatant—push off when she did a drive and pop in the paint either earlier in that quarter or in the 3rd and it went uncalled. I was actually shocked because of how blatant it was.

But even if you think that UConn player flopped on the Clark push off, then you have to acknowledge the Iowa player faking that contact in that final second situation. 

It’s going to be a major Iowa fan advantage, so Sunday could get interesting. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Well the amount of fans on this site who supported the foul call would have said “YOU CAN’T CALL THAT AT THIS POINT IN THE GAME!” Had the jerseys said Texas instead of UConn. 

love and hip hop hair flip GIF by VH1

Of course.  And maybe that tells you something about what team those WNBA and NBA people were supporting. 

33 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Well we knew she wasn’t coming back because she wanted to be honored at Senior Day. So hoping Vic has a plan 

You’re right, but it still stings a little that she didn’t want to play her final year at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Booker wins the Cheryl Miller award - best collegiate small forward 

Holy crap.

"Booker becomes the first freshman to win the award and the first UT player to win the award. "

And we've probably got three more years of Madi's magic; stoked.  🤘

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 86txex said:

You’re right, but it still stings a little that she didn’t want to play her final year at Texas.

Yep, it does.

Lost her playing time to Moore, Gaston, and Jones but at least she came back for the tourney.

You have to be pretty good for Vic to sign you up, but the talent level here is on the incline, so some of the young ladies have some tough decisions to make.

Everyone wants to play, can't blame them.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

ESPN+ has multiple feeds of the game.

The first two have no BS commentary from broadcasters.  Just background-noise only.  
Wish they would zero in on on-court chatter and make that louder.

The first feed is my favorite.  It's only cameras from videographers sitting down.  So you get a great view of all the legs.  hahah :)
image.thumb.png.8e7ba0437861332f9cbeb22e8859a042.png

The second feed is from the cameras higher up and includes an onscreen stats display. 

image.thumb.png.8c2b0a1d951158da4a2fa43e109c06cd.png

Third feed is a normal feed with broadcasters

Fourth feed is with those two chicks doing commentary.

51 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Lots of questionable calls in this Final.

South Carolina getting too many calls

Souf Carolina had more fouls called on them than Iowa yet they are getting too many calls…

Real Housewives Eye Roll GIF

Texas comes in at #2 in Crème’s early top 25 for next season

IMG_2401.thumb.png.2d5bc9e96debd64e205ed17e47c1b82d.png

SCe 1, ND 3, UConn 4, USC 5

LSU 7, Stanford 9, ISU 10, Baylor 13, OU 19, Bama 23, aggy and Ole Miss under consideration

SEC looks very top heavy (SCe, Texas, LSU) and then a big gap until OU/Bama/aggy/Ole Miss