Texas Drivers License Renewal

TexPx

2 hours ago, hayden_horn said:

he laid a bunch of aqueduct

aight

You old-timers remember when the DPS had a small office just north of the Capitol that was there for the convenience of the politicos?

I remember walking in (no appt.) and there were three clerks just standing there and they all said, "May I help you?" I picked the hottest chick and got down to the business at hand, right there at the counter.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Hasn't DPS cancelled 3 straight days of appointments with nothing more than a "software glitch" excuse? Wouldn't shock me if they're a victim of ransomware and working to pay off some criminals.  But perhaps it really is a software bug.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/transportation/article/texas-dps-software-update-cancelled-appointments-18349396.php

Overall, and it's been a couple of years, I've had great experiences at the DPS urban mega centers. I schedule online, show up a few minutes early and out the door within 30-60 minutes. I do see others that appear to have been sitting there much longer. I assume they're walk-ins, or they have more complicated situations than renewals.

Allegedly, it is/was the result of a software update over the holiday weekend that didn't get completed. As it gets further from Labor Day, that becomes less and less believable.

My daughter was supposed to go yesterday afternoon to the Garland supercenter to get her 18-year-old license. She got a text yesterday AM saying she had the same time slot next Thursday. We'll see how that goes.

Rewind back to when she was trying to get her license during COVID. We wound up driving to the DPS office in far north Waco in order to get it because there were no appointments available in DFW, nor could you get on a waiting list X number of months out. It was beyond absurd. Seems things have not improved post-COVID.

Can I also lump in getting/renewing US passports into this broken system of bureaucracy? This process is no smoother.

35 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Can I also lump in getting/renewing US passports into this broken system of bureaucracy? This process is no smoother.

The passport thing I at least understood: international travel plummeted during COVID.  So, people either let their passports lapse, or people who would have gotten one didn't bother, because nobody was going anywhere.  Once COVID cleared, we saw an explosion of international travel, and with that, people needed to get/renew passports all in a compressed time window.  I'm not suggesting there wasn't ALSO bureaucratic bullshit going on, but the timing issue was material.

Driver's licenses?  Yeah, that's across the board, and by design.

3 hours ago, F250 said:

As others have already pointed out, it is possible to get a quick appointment if you are willing to make a 3 hour round trip. I recently was able to find an appointment within a week by driving to Hondo.

A three fucking hour round trip to renew a license. The fact that people are just accepting this reality blows my mind. This is third-world level inefficiency.

Animated GIF

It's a feature not a bug. Welcome to Texas.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, F250 said:

As others have already pointed out, it is possible to get a quick appointment if you are willing to make a 3 hour round trip. I recently was able to find an appointment within a week by driving to Hondo.

A three fucking hour round trip to renew a license. The fact that people are just accepting this reality blows my mind. This is third-world level inefficiency.

Animated GIF

Counterpoint, the drive is worth it because parisa.

8 hours ago, F250 said:

Animated GIF

• Drool 2

42 minutes ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

Good point. I used to be able to buy it in Spring Branch but the meat market I would get it from didn't survive Covid.

22 hours ago, Steel Shank said:

aight

You old-timers remember when the DPS had a small office just north of the Capitol that was there for the convenience of the politicos?

I remember walking in (no appt.) and there were three clerks just standing there and they all said, "May I help you?" I picked the hottest chick and got down to the business at hand, right there at the counter.

No, but I took my driving test at the Ranger Station at Fair Park.