Texas Destroys Alabama - And Here's the Film to Prove It

Katfid54

2 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

I know there are a lot of Xs/Os folks out there.  So if there was something you saw, happy to discuss it here.  I am, however, not going to make a gif-on-request of Jordan Whittington getting called for holding.

Also, if there's something you're particularly interested in, let me know here or via DM and I can include it in a future one of these (and let's hope it doesn't take another 5 years for me to do the next one).

Can we get a breakdown of the fumblerooski play????

31 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Coach Ervin said today with Burton that you have to look at the OTs now a days because guards pull a lot on boots and other passing concepts. So, I imagine Bama was absolutely playing games with the OTs to get false reads from the Texas defenders.

Yep. But it's nothing new. It's just repackaged old school football with nouveau window dressing. "Influence trap" was a thing way back when the Wing T was cutting edge. 

Edited by Katfid54

51 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

Bo Davis is really good at his job... would also say trainer we hired for DE/Edge technique is doing a fucking awesome job.

Screenshot_20230701-213507_kindlephoto-1011838.png

2015 Article from Bleacher Report

"Jacquies Smith's Wild Ride to Become the NFL's Best Player You've Never Heard of " 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2576903-jacquies-smiths-wild-ride-to-become-the-nfls-best-player-youve-never-heard-of

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

1.) Worthy vs. Burton - a tale of two slot fades?

Let’s start with the Burton route.

AI8GF_.gif

The broadcast did a decent job of breaking this down.  By using motion, Bama capitalized on the back-end coverage, although I’m not sure it was simple man coverage like Herbstreit said.  Instead, I think the CB (9 - Gavin Holmes) had the first out-breaking route, and the safety (28 - Jerrin Thomspon) had the second man.  I.e., a very simple two-man pattern match zone:

NdpPEM.gif

Is there anything super schematically interesting to take away from this route?  Not really.  It was play designed for a deep shot all the way.  Unfortunately, Thompson got his ass dusted in a footrace, our pass rush left Milroe with an almost spotless pocket, and we had three defenders playing QB contain and not pressuring (compare against Ant Hill’s QB “contain” efforts):

MilroeBurton.jpg.8f824bb6da08747e10fb5e1413daa57b.jpg

And Milroe threw his best ball of the night.

Sometimes that happens.

As a side-note, I’m not breaking down any of those Anthony Hill plays because they can best be described as “fast, strong guy runs down weaker, slower guy.”

All right.  That will be the last (only) Bama highlight you see in this report.

Let’s check in with our favorite lightning bolt, Xavier Worthy

XquSdO.gif

Whew.  Watch that again.  Then watch it one more time.

What a throw.  What a catch.  That’s full blown Willie Mays shit right there.

Is this as simple as Bama’s call?  Not by a long shot.  Here’s the end-zone view:

YvTbfh.gif

Here are the routes.  Johntay Cook (#2) runs a deep in (i.e., a dig route).  Whittington (#13) runs a drag route, Sanders (#0) runs a flat route, and Worthy (#1) runs a post.  Even though it looked like a fade/fly route, it wasn’t.  It ended up being a skinny post because that’s how he needed to run it to run under the ball.  But it was a post all the way. 

DDP-NCAARoute.png.c38db7f165a3209eb1305211bde7bfee.png

Is there anything interesting about this?  Yeah.  This is a classic route combination.  Sometimes called “Levels,” sometimes called “DDP (dig-drag-post)” and most often just called “NCAA.”  The issue with this call is it forces defenders on the opposite side of the field to DEFEND EVERY SINGLE ROUTE.  I.e., every route is a crossing route requiring defenders to pass off and pick up players.  If you don’t pass off a player and you run with them, what happens?  Well, just watch the clip above one more time.

There are also several ways to run the NCAA route combos, and offenses usually adjust/address for whether they’re getting a MOFO (middle of the field open) look or a MOFC (middle of the field closed) look from the safeties.  In the clips above, Bama is very obviously in a MOFO look (cover 4 it appears?). 

That creates a high/low conflict for the backside safety. 

NCAA-SafetyinConflict.jpg.35e14630718539cce2b807263b5c8b6a.jpg

Watch Quinn’s head on the All-22.  He’s staring at Johntay on the snap.  And watch the reaction of the safety as a result.  He turns his body away from Worthy to get ready to engage with Johntay.  Once Quinn sees those hips turn, he immediately flips his attention to Worthy, waits for the break, and throws the bomb.

You love to see it.

I’ll be back with part two later.

Devin Duvernay would have dropped all of those.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, George said:

Part 4…Whittington “gets open”

image.gif.ea6162780ef3ded8788ecc3f99b54428.gif

I can’t tell what happened to 32 there. Is the fact that his back is to the ball what makes that work? If he didn’t stumble or whatever I guess he still wouldn’t be looking back. 

32 is attempting a jamb and whiffs.

It was this 3rd and 6th throw into the end zone to Xavier Worthy in the middle of the 3rd quarter that really blew me away. Q threw it perfectly with the WR in stride into such a tight window that only X could make a play on the ball. I’m confident that if X had AD’s hands for that exact moment, that’s a TD all the way.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, George said:

I can’t tell what happened to 32 there. Is the fact that his back is to the ball what makes that work? If he didn’t stumble or whatever I guess he still wouldn’t be looking back. 

The routes on this play aren't as interesting as the personnel and alignment. Texas comes out in 11 personnel and Bama matches with nickel (I think. I can't tell who the boundary underneath defender is). Texas aligns with Sanders wide left, Baxter wide right with Worthy near him, and Mitchell and Whittington in the left and right slots respectively. I'm not 100% sure what Bama's coverage is, but it's some form of 3 deep pattern match. It's not pure man because the only two corners align over Sanders and Baxter. The mike spies Ewers, while the will and sam reroute (not jam) deep routes before passing them off to the secondary and covering underneath. Because Mitchell doesn't go deep, the will covers underneath Sanders, and the boundary safety #6 looks for a potential deep crosser from the field. The star is manned on Worthy, and the corners and FS have deep thirds. Because of this, there's a soft spot between the sam and FS that Whittington settles in.

Why did this play work? Because we were in 11 personnel and it was still 2nd down, Bama didn't want to get out of nickel, and because of the respect they had for Worthy and Mitchell, they played safeties over the top of them. Could they have just played cover 1 with the star on Whittington? I suppose, but then all four receiving threats (Baxter wasn't really a threat) would have single coverage (the same would be true if they played quarters with the FS manning Whittington deep), and Sanders would be covered by a safety. By going with this coverage, they gained some form of double coverage on three of the threats, but the cost was a huge soft spot in the zone for Whittington. Also aligning in man would pull a linebacker out to Baxter, lightening the box and making a motion/jet sweep tough to defend.

Edited by TotallyLegit
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Johntay Cook (#2) runs a deep in (i.e., a dig route).  Whittington (#13) runs a drag route, Sanders (#0) runs a flat route, and Worthy (#1) runs a post.  Even though it looked like a fade/fly route, it wasn’t.  It ended up being a skinny post because that’s how he needed to run it to run under the ball.  But it was a post all the way.  This is a classic route combination.  Sometimes called “Levels,” sometimes called “DDP (dig-drag-post)” and most often just called “NCAA.”  The issue with this call is it forces defenders on the opposite side of the field to DEFEND EVERY SINGLE ROUTE.  I.e., every route is a crossing route requiring defenders to pass off and pick up players.There are also several ways to run the NCAA route combos, and offenses usually adjust/address for whether they’re getting a MOFO (middle of the field open) look or a MOFC (middle of the field closed) look from the safeties.  In the clips above, Bama is very obviously in a MOFO look (cover 4 it appears?).  That creates a high/low conflict for the backside safety.  Watch Quinn’s head on the All-22.  

giphy-downsized-large.gif

• Haha 2

Jerrin’s biggest mistake on that bomb to Burton was flipping his hips and losing leverage on staying on top of Burton. He had inside help from Crawford so there was no real reason to react to the inside move from Burton in that manner. And if Milroe wanted to try and place that ball perfectly between them then good luck with that, but you take that instead of letting him throw a layup.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Part 3:

Ethan Burke was a big part of the story of the game for a lot of reasons.  But one thing that I noticed early on was that Bama had obviously schemed to attack him with the Zone Read. 

They ran various plays to put Burke in conflict.  But I’m going to try and focus only on ZR.  Here’s the first time they ran it against Burke:

PAbe5a.gif

Burke gives a hard keep read.  He’s almost all the way to the center when Milroe pulls the ball:

BurkeZR1.jpg.a24d99911874d6f1e7de050152f85e7e.jpg

Catalon tries to fill the alley but misses and Burke is fortunately able to get Milroe by the shoe to prevent him from ripping off another 5 or 10 yards.

Gain of eleven.

The second time they ran zone read was literally the next play:

4HBt-Q.gif

Burke attacks deep and Milroe hands the ball to McClellan. 

NfMkbw.gif

Frankly, I’m not sure he was in a position to make a play on either Milroe or McClellan that play.  He chases the RB but his angle is too poor to run him down.

Texas pulls Burke after that play for several plays.  The next time Bama runs ZR, Sorrell is in at EDGE:

d38eaP.gif

Sorrell stays flat, doesn’t chase, and forces a GIVE read.  Byron Murphy and Alfred Collins both shitwhip the Bama OL, Jaylon Ford fills the other gap, and the play is snuffed for a loss of 1.  That play takes Bama off schedule, Watts breaks up 2nd down in the end zone, Milroe runs for his life on 3rd down, and Texas is able to force a field goal.

Bama doesn’t go back to ZR the next drive or for the rest of the first half.

The next time they run ZR, it’s 13:16 in the third quarter, and Burke is back at DE:

ens-8r.gif

This time, Burke slow-plays it, forcing the GIVE read.  Catalon fills from the safety position and slows McClellan, who is then gang-tackled by errbody.

Bama runs ZR again against Sorrell in the late 3rd.  It doesn’t go great.  Here’s the last time they run ZR and the play that stood out to me the most.  2:15 left in the 3rd.  2nd and 9.  Bama finally gets the Burke matchup that it has been exploiting all night:

SU7NEj.gif

Burke plays it perfectly (again).  He doesn’t run upfield.  He doesn’t crash on the snap.  He stays wide, forces the GIVE read, and then attacks straight down the line of scrimmage.  Sweat blows up his blocker to force McClellan back to the outside, and Burke is waiting there to make the tackle himself.

Turns out, someone is coaching our defensive players on the sideline while the game is ongoing.  Weird.  For the past 14 years, I was under the impression that wasn’t allowed.

Like I always do I've watched the game several times and noticed something very fortunate.

The Bama OL HAD to double team someone on the DL and that opened up clear shots for everyone else.

Statistically Collins and Sweat had good games but if their performance was measured on the amount of double teams they got, which in turn allowed others to disrupt the play, then they both had outstanding games.

They both stood their ground and that got better as they game progressed.

And one more thing kind of off topic.

This team, defense and offense, played with attitude I'm not used to seeing.

Hats off to the coaching staff.

Keep it rolling/going.

• Hook 'Em 4

8 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

A jam 10 yards downfield?

30 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

No, a jamb. That's a different thing.  Try to keep up

Haha.  Work and football brains are blending.

But in college and high school jamming downfield is common and actually more common than jamming at the line.  It's illegal in the NFL.

8 hours ago, Kitty Boy said:

It was this 3rd and 6th throw into the end zone to Xavier Worthy in the middle of the 3rd quarter that really blew me away. Q threw it perfectly with the WR in stride into such a tight window that only X could make a play on the ball. I’m confident that if X had AD’s hands for that exact moment, that’s a TD all the way.

If Worthy had tried to catch the ball with two hands instead of using one to push back the receiver, that play would have ended in a more worthy drop by Worthy.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, TotallyLegit said:

The routes on this play aren't as interesting as the personnel and alignment. Texas comes out in 11 personnel and Bama matches with nickel (I think. I can't tell who the boundary underneath defender is). Texas aligns with Sanders wide left, Baxter wide right with Worthy near him, and Mitchell and Whittington in the left and right slots respectively. I'm not 100% sure what Bama's coverage is, but it's some form of 3 deep pattern match. It's not pure man because the only two corners align over Sanders and Baxter. The mike spies Ewers, while the will and sam reroute (not jam) deep routes before passing them off to the secondary and covering underneath. Because Mitchell doesn't go deep, the will covers underneath Sanders, and the boundary safety #6 looks for a potential deep crosser from the field. The star is manned on Worthy, and the corners and FS have deep thirds. Because of this, there's a soft spot between the sam and FS that Whittington settles in.

Why did this play work? Because we were in 11 personnel and it was still 2nd down, Bama didn't want to get out of nickel, and because of the respect they had for Worthy and Mitchell, they played safeties over the top of them. Could they have just played cover 1 with the star on Whittington? I suppose, but then all four receiving threats (Baxter wasn't really a threat) would have single coverage (the same would be true if they played quarters with the FS manning Whittington deep), and Sanders would be covered by a safety. By going with this coverage, they gained some form of double coverage on three of the threats, but the cost was a huge soft spot in the zone for Whittington. Also aligning in man would pull a linebacker out to Baxter, lightening the box and making a motion/jet sweep tough to defend.

New-England.jpg

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 7

13 hours ago, Kitty Boy said:

Great throw that shoulda been a td but damned if he didn’t miss an easy td down the seam. 

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, JBJ said:

This is Barron's decision tree on his interception.

He has to carry and disrupt #2 enough so that the CB and Safety have time to work over the top.  That's why it looks like either a man coverage or trap coverage.

Defendercount.jpg.467d1d6067e2bba5fd898f34b970bbcc~2.jpg

This is what I thought, too, and also why I wondered if Barron may have actually bailed on #2 too early.  He doesn't even touch #2 and gives him a free release up the sideline.  It's all bang-bang given how quick the out route is.  And obviously Barron gets a pick on the play, so who the fuck cares.  But if Milroe reads it better, the #2 WR probably gets a decent gain down the sideline because the CB is outmatched.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

We are seeing why Sarkisian is looking to add size in the WR room. Worthy is a great WR, but he's not a guy that's winning 50/50 balls like Mitchell did earlier in the game. Wingo and Livingstone are both closer to Mitchell's size.

Worthy might run the best jerk route in college football and it is an absolute weapon on the goal line. That’s why Sarkisian went to it first. Got to catch the pass though. 

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Worthy might run the best jerk route in college football and it is an absolute weapon on the goal line. That’s why Sarkisian went to it first. Got to catch the pass though. 

Was that the same route he caught the winning TD pass against ISU, and put two on the board in the 1H against KSU?

• Hook 'Em 2

Since this thread features a lot of analysis I will throw in a few comments here.

After rewatching bama game a 2nd time, we don't want to (as CTJ says) fall into the trap of "sniffing our own farts".

Bama is a good team, but made a lot of mistakes on Saturday that kept drives alive for Texas or took points off the board for bama.  The Longhorns made huge strides in this game especially in the 4th qtr.

Glad to see Sark get Quinn in rhythm early in this game to help his confidence.  I'm not sure bama's defense played a good game as coverages were blown and they didn't disguise much.

Hope this Texas team keeps working hard and improving. Our defense has the potential to be really great this year.   Gonna be interesting to see how our offense does against, baylor, blOU, k-state, and tcu.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Since this thread features a lot of analysis I will throw in a few comments here.

After rewatching bama game a 2nd time, we don't want to (as CTJ says) fall into the trap of "sniffing our own farts".

Bama is a good team, but made a lot of mistakes on Saturday that kept drives alive for Texas or took points off the board for bama.  The Longhorns made huge strides in this game especially in the 4th qtr.

Glad to see Sark get Quinn in rhythm early in this game to help his confidence.  I'm not sure bama's defense played a good game as coverages were blown and they didn't disguise much.

Hope this Texas team keeps working hard and improving. Our defense has the potential to be really great this year.   Gonna be interesting to see how our offense does against, baylor, blOU, k-state, and tcu.

I know what you’re saying, but we were also the victims of our own mistakes, which we will have an opportunity to address. Blown blocking assignments, dropped touchdowns, bad reads on run fits, missed field goals... It was both teams’ second game. We were the better team.

If Texas doesn’t fix some of their issues, but every other team does fix their problems, sure, we could be in trouble. I get the sense that we will continue improving throughout the season, though. What we saw on Saturday was not a finished product. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Fuck this, dude.

Worthy dropped two touchdown passes.  Jaylan Ford dropped an INT in the end zone.  Watts dropped a pick in the end zone.

• Hook 'Em 2

13 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

We also don’t want to fall into the trap of failing to recognize that position essentially says, “Alabama needed, and didn’t get, a near perfect game to beat Texas at home when Texas left at least 2 TDs and a FG on the field.”

It’s a long season, just one game, yadda yadda, all the appropriate and accurate disclaimers, but it’s been too long since it was the other team having to say “what if” in this scenario. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

I know what you’re saying, but we were also the victims of our own mistakes, which we will have an opportunity to address. Blown blocking assignments, dropped touchdowns, bad reads on run fits, missed field goals... It was both teams’ second game. We were the better team.

If Texas doesn’t fix some of their issues, but every other team does fix their problems, sure, we could be in trouble. I get the sense that we will continue improving throughout the season, though. What we saw on Saturday was not a finished product. 

Oh I agree Texas has a good team... that 4th qtr was awesome.  But we were behind against bama after 3 qtrs. 

Still a lot of work ahead for Texas to get to Big12 Championship game.  🤘

5 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Fuck this, dude.

Worthy dropped two touchdown passes.  Jaylan Ford dropped an INT in the end zone.  Watts dropped a pick in the end zone.

What's your problem??

• Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

And a lot of those mistakes were made because Texas has the personnel to force opponents into committing penalties just to have a chance.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, George said:

Bama is in nickel coverage while we are in 11 personnel with Baxter split out wide. By alignment that puts a linebacker on J-Whitt. If you are Ewers and Sark you know Bama is desperate to keep a lid on Worthy so you align Worthy next to Whitt and put the safety in conflict by running a vertical. You know Whitt is going to beat that LB so all you have to do is wait. Pitch and catch. No matter how the lb played it he was going to lose.

20 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

As always, it's tough to know what's going on without the playcall.  But after watching this like 20 more times, I now think this was an RPO and the read is actually of Gbenda.

image.gif.717f49d76c992f96e06da161f2f5fabd.gif

Milroe is obviously reading something here.  This is not a fake read.  But when you watch the give after Burke's crash, Milroe's head doesn't turn.  I think he's actually reading Gbenda to see if he'll bite on the run and, if so, he's going to throw the quick out.  Basically Power with a backside OHIO concept? 

This is my attempt to draw it up:

Power-OHIO.JPG.b634cdb62b2731ba12b39a9e47a39209.JPG

Also explains why Milroe's eyes continue to widen as the out route widens.  He's internally checking to make sure he made the right read and to see whether that route was open.

Man, Ford's instincts were terrible here. He blocked himself. Sweat took up two bodies and left a gap for Ford. Had he trusted himself he could've shot it and got a TFL behind the lead blocker. Instead he tried to scrape over the top, blocked himself, and left a cutback hole for the rb. For shame.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

We have played all these big games for years and have fumbled them away, dropped TDs, missed FGs, etc.  We finally won one.  We shouldn't just give it away and say the other team lost the game. 

That's was not my intended point.

Texas definitely outplayed bama and was better Saturday.  It was crazy to watch the game again and see bama's mistakes.  Still can't believe Texas trailed after 3qtrs.  Incredible 4th qtr for the Horns.  By playing more players, I believe our depth really took over late in the game.

This Texas team has a chance to be special no doubt.  🤘

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Man, Ford's instincts were terrible here. He blocked himself. Sweat took up two bodies and left a gap for Ford. Had he trusted himself he could've shot it and got a TFL behind the lead blocker. Instead he tried to scrape over the top, blocked himself, and left a cutback hole for the rb. For shame.

watch 33 drop into coverage. do they not still teach to read the oline off the ball to see whether they're coming down field to run block?

3 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

watch 33 drop into coverage. do they not still teach to read the oline off the ball to see whether they're coming down field to run block?

You can't in todays game. They fire off and run block and still throw it with RPOs. Terrible time to be an outside LB.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2