NFLPA Calls for Natural Grass in all NFL Stadiums

Vic Mackey

3 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

I told my kids during COVID vaccinations that when the university decides to do something, they drop the hammer. Just watch. The city of Austin will be talking forever about who gets in line first and where we can equitably and sustainably have COVID shots. The website will suck.

And UT will have eight lines moving swiftly with phone apps, good signage, and cheerful folks helping out.

I was right. CoA eventually figured it out, but UT was a vaccination machine.

If UT wants to water a field, watered it will be.

Having said that, the previous grass sucked by the end of the season. We probably needed 2-3 more Aggies to tell us what was wrong. But I’m confident that if Texas decides to do it, it will eventually be done well.

People complaining about watering a field in Austin when places like Kalahari, all the golf courses, and this https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/surf-park-development-planned-for-southeast-austin/ exist/will exist is great.

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, JBJ said:

Y'all acting like DKR wasn't just grass recently and most of UT doesn't have grass everywhere.  I think the artificial turf went in with Godzillatron.

If there was a big injury difference, you'd think that injuries would be much more prominent than they are considering almost everyone practices on artificial turf even if they play on grass.

There are already less hard, cooler artificial turf products and everything new turf is permeable.

I think grass is nicer.  I'd rather play around poorer weather on artificial turf, but I don't really care either way.

Close. Godzillatron went in for 2006 season. 

NEZ renovations 2006-07.

Turf installed after 2008 szn (that 2008 aggy game was an atrocious surface to be fair).

2009-2021 faded orange turf

2022-present current turf

Edited by Wilcox Cummingtonite

1 hour ago, Texas Jeff said:

Having said that, the previous grass sucked by the end of the season. We probably needed 2-3 more Aggies to tell us what was wrong. But I’m confident that if Texas decides to do it, it will eventually be done well.

Well again, the iteration of grass before we lowered the field was great. I remember reading about all the pump and drainage technology when it was installed, and then the 1996 Mizzou game was a fantastic demonstration in real life. That grass wore and held up well.

Whatever they did differently after lowering the field was abysmal.

I would be all for having grass like we had before lowering the field. Having grass like after the lowering just to have grass is fucking stupid and I would be adamantly against it.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Foosters said:

Who among us doesn't wish this classic moment would have been played on turf so Ricky could have been covered in bits of minced tire.

The McGinn Files: Ricky Williams' 'idiosyncrasies' blurred opinions in 1999  - The Athletic

That was a great grass surface. I am not sure who would argue against it. The problem is we were not able to maintain that type of surface.

1 minute ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m just not sure what the playing surface has to do with the moment at all

That is what I have always found odd about the emotional takes on grass. I used to work with a coach who would only play his playoff games on turf because it helped with a speed advantage and because it's what his team played on at home. He clearly didn't feel his players were injured more often.

Grass versus turf should depend on what the team needs and how they use the field. I do not believe what is best for one is best for all.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

I'm not sure which US stadiums have it yet, but hybrid turf seems like the best solution to me. It is grass reinforced by synthetic fibers through the root level to minimize tearing up of the field with use. It requires water, of course, but that can be done with reclaimed water and minimal evap if the field is designed properly. Also, to the extent it uses water, a large percentage of that water goes to fixing carbon out of the atmosphere. Please no CR replies arguing about climate change. I'm not taking a position on that with this post.

1 minute ago, Tex Pete said:

That is what I have always found odd about the emotional takes on grass. I used to work with a coach who would only play his playoff games on turf because it helped with a speed advantage and because it's what his team played on at home. He clearly didn't feel his players were injured more often.

Grass versus turf should depend on what the team needs and how they use the field. I do not believe what is best for one is best for all.

I would love for us to play on grass. It seems more natural, seems to help with injuries, etc etc etc. 

It’s also just such a “who cares?” issue for me. Like you said, what are the actual needs and then decide what works. It’s like the baseball field talk in this thread. Yea it would be great but it would also be dead all season because we don’t have anywhere else to practice.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

That was a great grass surface. I am not sure who would argue against it. The problem is we were not able to maintain that type of surface.

Well, as for who would argue against it, Exhibit A is the “sips watered that field” brigade. I don’t think they’ll have any input, though.

• Haha 1

I would add that I think the NFLPA knows it's not a massive deal but want it out there for the next CBA negotiations. 

That’s an early start. The current CBA goes thru 2030. The NFLPA cares about nothing but revenue share and dumb shit like limiting practice time. Player safety has rarely been an issue, just like taking care of vets. It took decades to get them to certify agents.

Holy freaking hell, people’s heads would explode on the conditions for their little premadonnas by the the 12th game of the Texas State Football Championship Games at Jerry World if the playing surface was grass.  Just watch em clamor for switching the schedule to start off with the big schools.

Edited by slorch

8 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

Oh the Kawhi trade strategy.