The new ride share situation at DAL sucks

Buzzrock

According to my Uber driver this just started yesterday, but instead of walking right outside and grabbing an Uber, it’s a 5-10 minute walk and then down an elevator/flight of stairs to a cacophony of screaming workers trying to get people matched up with their drivers. I might go back to renting cars.

Anyone know if this is temporary or the new normal?

limo still picks me up in the same place.  must be a poors problem.

but yeah, i think they do this at SLC airport from what i remember from last year.  They had a designated Uber zone that you had to walk to.  I just said eff it and took a cab last time in Vegas cause you could just walk right up and get one instantly.  Aria hotel in Vegas has a different ride share zone as well. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, crash_davis said:

Many airports do this. Not sure if it's to lessen congestion at main airport entrances or the Taxi lobby (hello Vegas) inspiring this decision. 

The stated goal at love was congestion.  I never saw it as a big issue.  Don't think it's the taxi lobby as pretty sure they are included.   Seems like it's going to suck but per the article I read, looks like they spent a lot of time and money transforming a parking garage into a new pick up spot so guess we all better get used to it.  

I hate the centralized pickups. It’s the trend. The worst is Las Vegas which I’m amazed didn’t outlaw rides hard. The airport has a whole floor of the parking garage for RS, but the worst are the hotels and convention center. The hotels usually have you go two miles down some old corridor beyond the employee lot. Lvcc has equites you to walk at least theee mikes to a RS spot.

LAX does the offsite pickup with shuttles running constantly. At first I didn’t like it but the traffic is hell with the construction so I don’t mind it anymore. I’m glad DFW hasn’t changed yet and I can still be picked up right outside the terminal 

If DFW still does curbside that might be enough for me to switch.
  • Hook 'Em 1

I got around this by contacting the driver in the app and asking if he's willing to pull down the Uber/Lyft sign inside his windshield and get me right up front of the terminal where friends/family pick you up if I give him a $10 as soon as I get in the car. As long as the car isn't displaying those signs no one at the airport can know the difference. 

• 3 weeks later...
I hate the centralized pickups. It’s the trend. The worst is Las Vegas which I’m amazed didn’t outlaw rides hard. The airport has a whole floor of the parking garage for RS, but the worst are the hotels and convention center. The hotels usually have you go two miles down some old corridor beyond the employee lot. Lvcc has equites you to walk at least theee mikes to a RS spot.

To me the big upside of rideshares in Vegas is getting back to the strip from somewhere else. You used to be stuck with the strip because no cab would come get you from off strip. I don’t mind taking a cab from the airport or hotel to hotel.