San Antonio Spurs '23-'24: Hoops, Hype, Hair Dye

ztejas

Fun game. Poor Rockets fans still bent about the lottery get to choke down their first (of many future) Ls against Wemby in a game they seemingly had won. 

Vassell and Collins have good chemistry. Jones playing crunch time makes a big difference. He needs to be out there. The Wemby learning curve is going to be fascinating to watch. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

They better be careful how long they allow this Sochan point experiment to go on as they're at risk of killing the kid's confidence. He looks absolutely lost right from the jump and as such the entire offense looks lost. I'd maybe shelve it for a while and work on it more in practice and bring it out for stretches here and there instead of starting every game with it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 10/29/2023 at 9:22 PM, Hate said:

They need and Avery type player.

csb/ I sat directly behind Avery on a flight last week and all I could think about was how aggravated my old man used to get watching him play. RIP, dad. I'm pretty sure you did a backflip in your grave when he hit that jumper against the Knicks.

21 hours ago, chainsaw said:

Zach Collins seems like he isn't good at basketball.

Not singling you out Chainsaw because I've seen it in multiple places, but I don't feel the Collins hate is justified. He's getting put in some unenviable spots wrestling with guys on the block who are bigger and stronger than he is, and he's had some dumb fouls down there. He's a pretty good long distance shooter who has shot like deep fried dogshit from 3 so far. He's turned it over too much trying to be a point guard, but at least he's trying to make plays for his teammates. That said, he's also been pretty decent scoring in the post and I like his pick and roll chemistry with Vassell. He's also only 26 years old and while this is his 7th NBA season, he effectively missed 3 of those years with injury. He's still growing as a player. I think patience is the order of the day with him, as it should be with the entire team. Not that I'm patient at all, but it's always fun to tell others to be.

Some Wemby/Spurs observations:

1. Anybody with half a brain knew that Wemby was going to get pushed around and off his spots, but he's making it too easy for smaller defenders to check him. He habitually drifts out toward the three point line and loses a lot of his advantage. I'm not advocating him living on the block, but he's got to punish teams for trying to cover him with dudes who are 6'6". 
  2. Along those same lines, he is giving too much respect to his opponents. He had a breakaway against the Clippers with Westbrook trying to guard him at the rim. He needs to try to dunk Russell into the third row instead of trying to dipsy doo around him. Some of this will come as he adds strength, but a lot of it is about mentality. I'm sure he will figure it out sooner rather than later.
  3. I'm all for giving Sochan a long leash in this ongoing point guard experiment, but he does need some sort of a leash. Like, maybe after the team's 5th turnover in a quarter, you may want to bring in Jones to settle them down? That Clippers game was the worst game I've ever seen from Sochan and it wasn't just poor play. He wasn't making the energy plays you normally see from him. Better than zero chance that the Saturday night off in LA got to him. Would like to see a bounce back tonight in Phoenix.

GSG. 80-2 until proven otherwise.

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

csb/ I sat directly behind Avery on a flight last week and all I could think about was how aggravated my old man used to get watching him play. RIP, dad. I'm pretty sure you did a backflip in your grave when he hit that jumper against the Knicks.

Not singling you out Chainsaw because I've seen it in multiple places, but I don't feel the Collins hate is justified. He's getting put in some unenviable spots wrestling with guys on the block who are bigger and stronger than he is, and he's had some dumb fouls down there. He's a pretty good long distance shooter who has shot like deep fried dogshit from 3 so far. He's turned it over too much trying to be a point guard, but at least he's trying to make plays for his teammates. That said, he's also been pretty decent scoring in the post and I like his pick and roll chemistry with Vassell. He's also only 26 years old and while this is his 7th NBA season, he effectively missed 3 of those years with injury. He's still growing as a player. I think patience is the order of the day with him, as it should be with the entire team. Not that I'm patient at all, but it's always fun to tell others to be.

1. Anybody with half a brain knew that Wemby was going to get pushed around and off his spots, but he's making it too easy for smaller defenders to check him. He habitually drifts out toward the three point line and loses a lot of his advantage. I'm not advocating him living on the block, but he's got to punish teams for trying to cover him with dudes who are 6'6". 
  2. Along those same lines, he is giving too much respect to his opponents. He had a breakaway against the Clippers with Westbrook trying to guard him at the rim. He needs to try to dunk Russell into the third row instead of trying to dipsy doo around him. Some of this will come as he adds strength, but a lot of it is about mentality. I'm sure he will figure it out sooner rather than later.
  3. I'm all for giving Sochan a long leash in this ongoing point guard experiment, but he does need some sort of a leash. Like, maybe after the team's 5th turnover in a quarter, you may want to bring in Jones to settle them down? That Clippers game was the worst game I've ever seen from Sochan and it wasn't just poor play. He wasn't making the energy plays you normally see from him. Better than zero chance that the Saturday night off in LA got to him. Would like to see a bounce back tonight in Phoenix.

Man, I’ve looked for some silver lining in his play to lessen the bitching in which I am 70% responsible for, and I’d probably be less of an asshole if he wasn’t giving Šamanić effort out there. Dude’s not even trying. It would be nice if Bassey got more playing time. 

3 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I really hope he pans out because we paid the man, and there have been glimmers of decent play from him, but he has a way of killing momentum that makes it very easy for me to direct blame toward him. He doesn't strike me as starting material, though. I'd love him off the bench, but we don't have anyone who can play center right now.