San Antonio Spurs '23-'24: Hoops, Hype, Hair Dye

ztejas

Who are these fucking idiots that want Patty back?

23 hours ago, Pam Cummings said:

Him, Collins, and Champenny

Season 3 Leave GIF by Martin

And Cedi and Doug. 

Really everyone but Sochan, Wemby, DV and Tre can fuck off. I also liked Bassey before he got hurt. We might have something with Wesley.

Posted (edited)

Seriously if I have to watch him and fucking Cedi Osman play minutes together next season I may murder/suicide @Kermit.

I didn't know which Cedi play I liked better - the (contested, moving) 3 attempt as soon as he caught the ball off an offensive rebound or the smoked, wide-open layup. He really keeps you on your toes. 

Edited by ztejas

I’m in SA for a work deal and some of us snuck out of dinner and went to the game. That was fun! Especially the dumbass Thunder fans talking all kinds of shit and then getting out when Wemby went 3-3-Chet stuff.

01a641808506deb62c05904472cb732d.jpg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

Well, my usual people I bitch about had outstanding games. Switch has flipped with Zach the last couple of games. Branham is playing controlled ball with adequate defense. Keldon still sucked, but made some shots. Wemby is something else. What the fuck am I even watching. 

If they slow the game down and limit the turnovers, they will win some games. 

• Like 1

Highest Pull-Up 3P% since the start of 2024:

1. Conley: 48.2%—56 3PA

2. SGA: 47.8%—69

3. Sexton: 47.2%—53

4. Wemby: 45.6%—57

5. McCollum: 44.9%—69

Just your run of the mill 7'4" rookie center improving on nearly every phase of his game as the season progresses.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

The worst three point shooting team in the league outscored okc by 30 at the three point line. 

Yeah, that was a heck of a game. Dort will absolutely drive you nuts with his shooting. Oh well.

Edited by Sweetnsourpoke

6 hours ago, LateAughtsHorn said:

Really hope the Spurs do work in the off-season to put a real team around Wemby. I know the whole "Spurs-way" is to play the long game, but this kid is too good too soon to waste miles on his 7'5 frame with 50-60 loss seasons. 

The long game has already been played. We got what we needed, the roster is coming. No sense in worrying about it right now, things won't move until the summer. I think the "worst" best case scenario is that games like last night, and really the past couple months, have shown the NBA that he is the future, and the future is coming QUICKLY. So that even if we don't wind up with Trae, we can still get our couple of lottery picks hopefully, and sign an unexpected veteran or two. He might change the market all on his own. 

I don't "want" him necessarily but we have to do something. We can't keep running out the island of misfit toys lineups featuring 2.5 legitimate NBA players. I think there's a chance he and Wemby could be pretty nasty next to each other - and Wemby would certainly help hide his non-existent D.

I'm not particularly fond of his coach-killing tendencies, though, and I'm not sure he's a good culture/locker room guy.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

I don't necessarily want Trae Young either but he's for sure 10x better than anyone we currently have(obviously not counting Wemby). There are worse things that could happen.

Worse, like what? Barring a catastrophic injury to Wemby, I honestly don't believe there is anything that could happen that would be worse than bringing in a losing, culture killing, heliocentric, no defense playing, salary cap albatross who depletes your war chest of picks while teaching Victor how a *real* NBA superstar rolls by acting like a diva, undermining his coach and front office while poisoning the locker room. Other than Kyrie or Harden, I can't imagine a worse player to bring in to this franchise at this particular time. I honestly would prefer either of those guys over Young.

1 hour ago, ztejas said:

I don't "want" him necessarily but we have to do something. We can't keep running out the island of misfit toys lineups featuring 2.5 legitimate NBA players. I think there's a chance he and Wemby could be pretty nasty next to each other - and Wemby would certainly help hide his non-existent D.

I'm not particularly fond of his coach-killing tendencies, though, and I'm not sure he's a good culture/locker room guy.

And of course, they can't run it back with this crew but this team is soooooooo young.  Sochan, Branham, Wesley and Wemby are all just 20. Vassell is 23. Jones and Keldon are the "vets" and they are both only 24 in their fourth year. They will all be better next season. They are going to add a pick that will be probably top 4 and at worst top 7 (either way, the highest non-Wemby pick since Tim) and probably another top 10 pick from Toronto. People are shitting on this draft class but it's not that bad. They can find one immediate rotation player and a longer term project out of it.

They just need outside shooting and a couple of culture setting vets to be in contention for a playoff spot next season. That should be a realistic goal for year 2. I know the record is garbage but they really are getting better every night. The rodeo trip makes it look worse than it is. They aren't that far off. Wemby is getting better every night. The entire team is getting better. You motherfuckers need to learn some patience.

Edited by Mitch Cumsteen
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I legitimately never knew how much of the stuff about Trae Young was legit criticism and how much was just us ripping on him for being a sooner pile of shit. But, if he really is a shithead, then I trust that the Spurs will find that out and lose whatever interest there may be. His 3pt percentage is definitely lower than what I expected. I'm with you, would rather keep the picks and bring in good vets that play well with Wemby and can hit those open 3s.

Branham was one I had lost hope for. Just bad shooting. But he has been good lately. He is nice in the mid range. Even had a couple of good defensive plays.

Also, what are some guys you like in the draft @Mitch Cumsteen? I don't actually watch a lot of college basketball. I've only started to pay attention recently. Really like Dalton Knecht and Reed Sheppard.

Edited by Pam Cummings

7 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

I legitimately never knew how much of the stuff about Trae Young was legit criticism and how much was just us ripping on him for being a sooner pile of shit. But, if he really is a shithead, then I trust that the Spurs will find that out and lose whatever interest there may be. His 3pt percentage is definitely lower than what I expected. I'm with you, would rather keep the picks and bring in good vets that play well with Wemby and can hit those open 3s.

Branham was one I had lost hope for. Just bad shooting. But he has been good lately. He is nice in the mid range. Even had a couple of good defensive plays.

Also, what are some guys you like in the draft @Mitch Cumsteen? I don't actually watch a lot of college basketball. I've only started to pay attention recently. Really like Dalton Knecht and Reed Sheppard.

I've only been paying cursory attention so far. I'm sure I will start to geek out on this stuff post-tournament but as of right now, I would be happy with either Knecht or Sheppard for the Toronto pick should it convey. I covet anyone who can make an open three, but both of those guys bring more to the table than just shooting. In that same vein, I like Dillingham a bunch. He just seems like a gamer and he can stroke it.

If they actually win the lottery again, it might put them in a bit of a conundrum because Sarr is presumably the top pick, but the things he does best are mostly duplicative of Wemby (at a much shitter rate of course) and they can't throw another non-shooter out there. They just can't.

I like both Topic and Risacher, but I would be tempted to take Cody Williams over any of them (including Sarr). I don't know how much of his projection is based off of his brother, but he's 3 inches taller and 1.5 years younger than Jalen when he came out. His numbers are better than his brother's at the same age. Adding a guy that long to Wemby just seems unfair. There would be no such thing as a passing lane. 

The G league guys are tough to evaluate. I think Buzelis has some moxey to him, but his shooting might be a non-starter. I don't know what to make of Ron Holland. Same thing as Buzelis with his shooting. I'm going to jump off the Tower of the Americas if they draft another dude who can't fucking shoot. I haven't watched the guy from Baylor at all. I liked Collier before the season but he's struggled and is another one who can't shoot.

I went to the Kansas game last weekend and I begrudgingly liked Furphy's game. I compared him to a bigger version of Gradey Dick. Could you imagine the Spurs with a bigger Dick?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

I went to the Kansas game last weekend and I begrudgingly liked Furphy's game. I compared him to a bigger version of Gradey Dick. Could you imagine the Spurs with a bigger Dick?

If we took anyone from KU I'd take a late flier on KJ. 

17 hours ago, ztejas said:

If we took anyone from KU I'd take a late flier on KJ. 

Funny enough, we saw him the morning after the game walking down Mass Street in Lawrence by himself just taking pictures with folks and hanging out. Seems like a good dude but I’m going to hard pass on any 6’7” guy who’s never even attempted a three pointer in his career. Fine if you want to kick the tires on him in the summer on a camp invite but he’s the absolute last thing this team needs. Furphy (who is apparently despised by autocorrect) has some translatable skills. 

15 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Funny enough, we saw him the morning after the game walking down Mass Street in Lawrence by himself just taking pictures with folks and hanging out. Seems like a good dude but I’m going to hard pass on any 6’7” guy who’s never even attempted a three pointer in his career. Fine if you want to kick the tires on him in the summer on a camp invite but he’s the absolute last thing this team needs. Furphy (who is apparently despised by autocorrect) has some translatable skills. 

Yeah he's an NBA project and would need to do what Tucker did and at least develop a corner 3 game. 

But I think he might be worth a late 2nd rounder as a g league stash. 

13 hours ago, Radical Larry said:

Not great news for getting Toronto’s pick this year.

True, but they’ve fucked around this year and actually tried. It’s going to take a lot of losing to get back in the tank line, and even then they’ll need some help.

IMG_4762.thumb.png.b7327dde5bdcef2497d6f0cf485d5d1c.png

1 hour ago, Kermit said:

True, but they’ve fucked around this year and actually tried. It’s going to take a lot of losing to get back in the tank line, and even then they’ll need some help.

IMG_4762.thumb.png.b7327dde5bdcef2497d6f0cf485d5d1c.png

Your chart is an argument against your point. If Memphis ends up with a better record than Toronto, the Spurs odds of getting the pick drop from 68% to 63%. It drops even more if the Raptors drop below Portland. 

1 hour ago, Irieguy said:

Your chart is an argument against your point. If Memphis ends up with a better record than Toronto, the Spurs odds of getting the pick drop from 68% to 63%. It drops even more if the Raptors drop below Portland. 

They aren’t catching Portland. They aren’t going to be bottom five. So it’s about a five percentage point swing from 7 to 6. Either way, there’s a better chance than not that it conveys. The spurs have been so lucky in the lottery that they will probably thread the needle and have the pick end up exactly at 7. 

I really wish KJ looked better. I still like him, but man watching him is tough. He thinks he's a better 3-pt shot than he is, missing wide open catch-and-shoot 3s. Driving with no purpose. It's tough to watch because he looks like he's playing his own game instead of the Spurs' offense. At least he had a couple assists to Wemby, which at this point he really should lean into. We have enough trouble finding him, make yourself useful in just finding our difference-maker.

• Rage+1 1

Damn this is inspiring. Actually responded to their 4th quarter run and put the game away. Wemby with another fantastic game. 31/12/6 with 5 blocks.

Are we learning how to win? Let's finish up strong, have a great month here.

• Hook 'Em 1