2023 NLCS Dbacks vs Phillies

WBT

I don't get the knock on the Rangers DMA/TV market.  It's the fifth largest one in the United States.  Plus outside of the serious Astros fans, I would think a huge chunk of Texas outside that MSA will be watching the Rangers as well.  I dunno.  Dallas Rangers v. Phoenix Diamondbacks.  What a ring to it...

https://www.mlb.com/news/d-backs-bullpen-surge-helps-key-world-series-appearance

Nice article on the formation of the Dbacks bullpen.   GM or whoever needs a payraise.    And Lovullo and Brent Strom (75 years old) for their management.  Lovullo gives Strom full control. 

Former Dback Greg Swindell is happy.  (excerpts)

That bullpen makeover started when the D-backs acquired Sewald. While all the attention was on splashy deals around the league like Justin Verlander, Jordan Montgomery and Max Scherzer, the D-backs sneakily made just as big of a deal to acquire their closer. 

Adding Sewald allowed the younger relievers to settle into their roles. That then opened the door for Thompson, who was designated for assignment by the Rays in August, to become an integral middle reliever. Ginkel has been one of the hottest relievers in baseball for over a month. Saalfrank was called up at the start of September to be a lefty killer.

Edited by torre

3 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

# 5 seed Texas Rangers (90 wins) and #6 seed Arizona Diamondbacks (84 wins) in the WS.  Are the seedings correct? 

Only Houston, of the 6 division winners, made the CS. 

Is 174 combined wins the lowest in WS history? 

Is playoff expansion a good idea, aside from the money? 

premise is that weakling teams made the WS, but your 5 seed had the same record as a 2 seed.  

I'll seriously take all that over what most cities go through. The entire season is more exciting because you know you've got a chance. Then the whole city is bustling with excitement for however long the playoff run lasts. Me and several friends have been saying we're not sure our livers can take a World Series this week. The finality does suck, but we move on to our NFC champs showing no signs of backing off.

Funny thing about that graphic, in terms of shocking defeats, the MLS one was probably worst. Had the lead in fucking stoppage time of extra time

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

premise is that weakling teams made the WS, but your 5 seed had the same record as a 2 seed.  

Arizona with 84 wins.  I understand Texas with 90 wins = Astros 90, but there has to be a limit to teams making the playoffs, 12 is too many.  Make it 4 per league, only 1 WC team and each round 7 games. 

Edited by Make em eat Taco Bell

On 10/25/2023 at 3:10 PM, Bartles said:

I'll seriously take all that over what most cities go through. The entire season is more exciting because you know you've got a chance. Then the whole city is bustling with excitement for however long the playoff run lasts. Me and several friends have been saying we're not sure our livers can take a World Series this week. The finality does suck, but we move on to our NFC champs showing no signs of backing off.

Funny thing about that graphic, in terms of shocking defeats, the MLS one was probably worst. Had the lead in fucking stoppage time of extra time

Agreed. If that is a "rough" year, then you are doing well compared to others. A rough year would be to have all your teams finish towards the bottom and be irrelevant.