Houston Astros off-season thread

Wulaw Horn

Just now, WBT said:

Pretty cool to see Bidge sitting with the guys

he has zero reason / obligation to be there, but him And bagwell are probably the biggest altuve fans around. they know he’s the goat 

Astros legacy at 2nd base …

Joe Morgan (got traded because of racist manager)

Craig Biggio

Jose Altuve 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

he has zero reason / obligation to be there, but him And bagwell are probably the biggest altuve fans around. they know he’s the goat 

Craig Biggio

Jose Altuve 

This Billy D erasure will not stand!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Jeff Kent too…only 2 years with the Astros (good for a 121 OPS+) but is the all-time HR leader among 2B. 

Nellie Fox fits into the same category as Kent. Short timer at the end of a HOF career. 

Al needs his own plaque outside of mmp by the rings. I've stressed so much with lilshep how blessed he has been with the Astros. Especially getting to see Altuve play his career here and see the clutch, professional and team mate he is.

• Hook 'Em 4

Lance McCullers Jr, David Hensley, Hunter Brown, Corey Julks, Jeremy Peña, Yordan Alvarez, Alex Cintrón, Spencer Arrighetti, pitching coach Josh Miller, quality control coaches Tommy Kawamura and Jason Bell among the audience for Jose Altuve's news conference.

6 hours ago, Jshep34 said:

Al needs his own plaque outside of mmp by the rings. I've stressed so much with lilshep how blessed he has been with the Astros. Especially getting to see Altuve play his career here and see the clutch, professional and team mate he is.

my lifetime …

Cowboys 3 rings

Spurs 5 rings

Rockets 2 rings 

VY at UT for two years 

then Colt

Altuve’s Astros 2 rings ….

• Like 1

13 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

this is the record i care the most about.  way more than 3000 hits.  also he should have 28, fucking mookie betts series.

pretty amazing he has 27 considering how horrid he was in the '22 postseason.

17 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Craig Biggio

Jose Altuve 

Wait, didn't we get Lee May in the Joe Morgan deal?

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Focht Up said:

Wait, didn't we get Lee May in the Joe Morgan deal?

Yeah, I have no idea if the manager was racist or not.  There were other black players on the team that didn't agree.  Joe was rumored to always be a pain in the ass, and that's what the manager said was the reasoning.  I mean it was 1971, a racist old white man isn't really a big stretch (his nickname was Little Dixie for goodness sake).  But neither is Joe was a pain in the ass and didn't want to be held accountable.  But just accepting either as fact seems a bit unnecessary.  From everything I've seen, seems like Walker was just a prick more than a racist, but again, late 60s/early 70s, racist was in a lot of people's DNA even subconsciously

On 2/6/2024 at 6:32 PM, formermav43 said:

Everyone who follows this team even somewhat closely knows this. But leave it to that guy to try to somehow make this news all about him.

No shit. We’ve been operating on the assumption he’s here all winter and just occasionally wondering when. It’s a little surprising to me it’s not a 7 year deal adding in this year and lowering the tax hit for this year but once we signed Hader an extra 2 or 3M wasn’t going to matter. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

No shit. We’ve been operating on the assumption he’s here all winter and just occasionally wondering when. It’s a little surprising to me it’s not a 7 year deal adding in this year and lowering the tax hit for this year but once we signed Hader an extra 2 or 3M wasn’t going to matter. 

I was surprised there wasn't a mutual option for his 40 year old year.  I assume he'll need to play that year to get to 3000 because of the COVID year

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, uoftorange said:

Yeah, I have no idea if the manager was racist or not.  There were other black players on the team that didn't agree.  Joe was rumored to always be a pain in the ass, and that's what the manager said was the reasoning.  I mean it was 1971, a racist old white man isn't really a big stretch (his nickname was Little Dixie for goodness sake).  But neither is Joe was a pain in the ass and didn't want to be held accountable.  But just accepting either as fact seems a bit unnecessary.  From everything I've seen, seems like Walker was just a prick more than a racist, but again, late 60s/early 70s, racist was in a lot of people's DNA even subconsciously

Yeah, I think Bouton basically wrote that Walker was a racist in Ball Four. Like you say, it isn’t difficult to believe that given his age/time.

And it also isn’t difficult to imagine that a young Black man from California in the late 60s/early 70s may have found an old guy nicknamed Dixie to be a racist, an an old guy in the late 60s/early 70s from the south might have thought the young Black man to be a pain in the ass. Cultures were clashing in that era.

• Hook 'Em 1

I was surprised there wasn't a mutual option for his 40 year old year.  I assume he'll need to play that year to get to 3000 because of the COVID year

Right. I said it above but I don’t get the matter-of-fact “Astro for life”.

I’d love it but I don’t see him getting 953 hits in the next 6 years. So if 3,000 is a big deal to him, he’s going to need another deal. 
maybe the Astros figure no way he’d walk away from a reasonable offer at that point but stranger things have happened. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

I’d love it but I don’t see him getting 953 hits in the next 6 years. So if 3,000 is a big deal to him, he’s going to need another deal. 
maybe the Astros figure no way he’d walk away from a reasonable offer at that point but stranger things have happened. 

He’s back to chase 300 if he’s within 100 hits and it will be with the astros. 
no reason to fret. 

• Haha 1

He made two All-Star teams. But Morgan ran afoul of Astros manager Harry Walker, which is what led to his trade. Morgan believed Walker was a racist, while Walker claimed to have issues with Morgan's attitude. Fellow Astro Jimmy Wynn also had his issues with Walker.

https://climbingtalshill.com/2020/04/26/houston-astros-reviewing-the-1971-joe-morgan-trade-with-reds/

10 minutes ago, Hank Chinaski said:

And it also isn’t difficult to imagine that an old Black man from California in the ‘20s may have found a young guy named Chas to be a pain in the ass, and a young guy in the ‘20s from Philly might have thought the old Black man to be senile. Cultures were clashing in that era.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I think I like it…

could backfire if guys like Framber and Javier don’t revert to 2022 form.

“That starting rotation is relentless at giving up 6+ in 3 innings”

stay healthy and make a run …

line ups matter in Oct 

Edited by tx 3 putt

3 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

Just play him at DH with a new contract and watch him play until the age of 45

à la Julio Franco

• Drool 1

1 hour ago, UTexasFight said:

I think I like it…

could backfire if guys like Framber and Javier don’t revert to 2022 form.

“That starting rotation is relentless at giving up 6+ in 3 innings”

I saw a video of Javier jumping over hurdles on a beach so we should expect him to be close to elite this season

• Haha 3
  • Drool 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1