2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread - I'm watching, just like you guys

gsoda3

Luka 33/14/10.
And he was supposed to be hurt? What a beast.
And this was supposed to be VW big debut, and he was good and showed flashes of taking over a game, but Lively said hang on now, I can play too and was drafted in the first round. Love that.
Wemby 15/5/1 blk
Lively 16/10/1 blk
I just don't understand why they keep THJ.  He thinks he's a volume shooter.  I'm hoping Williams makes him obsolete.

We've been trying to trade him for a season and a half. We tried really hard this offseason and at the last trade deadline but nobody wants him. That's part of the reason he needs to keep playing. He needs to get insanely hot for a while to bait somebody into trading for him.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, gsoda3 said:

Wemby 15/5/1 blk
Lively 16/10/1 blk
We've been trying to trade him for a season and a half. We tried really hard this offseason and at the last trade deadline but nobody wants him. That's part of the reason he needs to keep playing. He needs to get insanely hot for a while to bait somebody into trading for him.

yeah.  didn't realize it was so hard to move him but I guess it is the contract. 

THJ is fine. He will win us games when he gets hot. But hopefully we don’t have to be nearly as reliant on him every night. 

Lively is a breath of fresh air even though he’s going to have some nights where he struggles. It’s nice to see a center who might actually challenge Luka for the team lead in rebounds. 

Overall, good first night. Defense is still atrocious. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, LurkingHorn said:

THJ is fine. He will win us games when he gets hot. But hopefully we don’t have to be nearly as reliant on him every night. 

Shooting as much as he did and as poorly as he did is going to lose us more games than he wins. He’s insanely athletic and needs to focus on defense and getting to the rim and quit jacking up 3’s.

Would’ve like to see a little more Curry last night.

A few bright spots last night, but overall impression was this Mavs team is going to be more likely to miss the playoffs than to contend. Long stretches of just pathetic defense. Unorganized and inconsistent offense. THJ is a problem, not the good kind. If they can send him out for a couple second round picks they should do it at this point.

On the positive side Luka looks a tiny bit leaner and ready to go, Lively impressed, and Williams fits well with what they need him to do.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, SilasCoade said:

A few bright spots last night, but overall impression was this Mavs team is going to be more likely to miss the playoffs than to contend. Long stretches of just pathetic defense. Unorganized and inconsistent offense. THJ is a problem, not the good kind. If they can send him out for a couple second round picks they should do it at this point.

On the positive side Luka looks a tiny bit leaner and ready to go, Lively impressed, and Williams fits well with what they need him to do.

This is my takeaway too. Gonna be a long and frustrating season. Unfortunately, one of those seasons that a guy like Luka ins his 5th season, grows very frustrated with his situation and the management/team's ability to position them to win.

Luka ain't Dirk, he isn't going to be content with all this mediocrity for one ring and give hometown discounts and be a company man his whole career.

Edited by BeardIP

1 hour ago, BeardIP said:

This is my takeaway too. Gonna be a long and frustrating season. Unfortunately, one of those seasons that a guy like Luka ins his 5th season, grows very frustrated with his situation and the management/team's ability to position them to win.

Luka ain't Dirk, he isn't going to be content with all this mediocrity for one ring and give hometown discounts and be a company man his whole career.

Yep. We are 5 years into Luka's tenure and we have yet to put a serious contending cast around him. Luka is absolutely not sticking around to watch the front office stumble over themselves like Dirk did.

1 hour ago, LurkingHorn said:

Can we make it a week into the season before we start talking about Luka doomsday scenarios? We won FFS. 

Okay. sorry. I'll wait until our first bad loss then?

It just is what it is-- we are not a good team, we will struggle, there will be fun wins against bad or young teams at times like last night (and even some teams against good teams, I'm sure) but on the whole this is going to be a frustrating season with bad defense and a dread of letting Luka down, once again.

5 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Okay. sorry. I'll wait until our first bad loss then?

It just is what it is-- we are not a good team, we will struggle, there will be fun wins against bad or young teams at times like last night (and even some teams against good teams, I'm sure) but on the whole this is going to be a frustrating season with bad defense and a dread of letting Luka down, once again.

Nothing like making a projection after 1.2% of the season has been played. The lineup of Luka-Kyrie-Green-Williams-Lively looks very promising. Just need Kidd to not be a moron about what his best lineup is and I think it be a pretty fun season. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, LurkingHorn said:

Nothing like making a projection after 1.2% of the season has been played. The lineup of Luka-Kyrie-Green-Williams-Lively looks very promising. Just need Kidd to not be a moron about what his best lineup is and I think it be a pretty fun season. 

Better yet that was my prediction at 0% of the season being played, but sure, I could be wrong. The Rangers are in the World Series, teams can surprise you.

But yesterdays game validated a lot of the bad that people predicted and assumed (horrible defense, bad bench players) and had a bright spot that was a best case scenario in Lively (so far, not to get too excited after one game, but he's been doing well all Fall).

1 minute ago, BeardIP said:

Better yet that was my prediction at 0% of the season being played, but sure, I could be wrong. The Rangers are in the World Series, teams can surprise you.

But yesterdays game validated a lot of the bad that people predicted and assumed (horrible defense, bad bench players) and had a bright spot that was a best case scenario in Lively (so far, not to get too excited after one game, but he's been doing well all Fall).

Williams also looks like a great fit and Luka and Kyrie clicked to close the game out. Kryie had a very poor shooting night and they still won by 3 possessions. This is a game they lose last year. 

Just now, LurkingHorn said:

Williams also looks like a great fit and Luka and Kyrie clicked to close the game out. Kryie had a very poor shooting night and they still won by 3 possessions. This is a game they lose last year. 

100% agree with Williams, I should have added that as a bright spot. And I was skeptical all Summer about that.

Disagree about this is a game they lose last year. San Antonio is still an NBA bottom dweller this year even with Wemby until he improves and can stay on the court for a full game.

The Mavericks are not missing the fucking playoffs. We have the 2nd or 3rd best player in the world, who could easily take a similar leap at age 24 as Jokic took at 27.

2022-23 Mavs PPGA- 114.1

2022-23 Nuggets PPGA- 112.5

The supporting cast doesnt matter, Luka/Jokic matter.

Defense doesn't matter, Luka/Jokic matter

Edited by cmontexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, cmontexas said:

The Mavericks are not missing the fucking playoffs. We have the 2nd or 3rd best player in the world, who could easily take a similar leap at age 24 as Jokic took at 27.

2022-23 Mavs PPGA- 114.1

2022-23 Nuggets PPGA- 112.5

The supporting cast doesnt matter, Luka/Jokic matter.

Defense doesn't matter, Luka/Jokic matter

This man does not basketball

Just now, SilasCoade said:

3 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Disagree emoji817.png. How can you feel that way after last year?

I couldn't tell if this was hope springs eternal or just someone who didn't watch the Mavericks until we shut it down last year or just trolling us.

23 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

Disagree emoji817.png. How can you feel that way after last year?

The 2022 Mavericks had Kyrie for 20 games. Didnt have Grant Williams or what looks like an impact rookie big. Heavily relied on proven loser Christian Wood and a bunch of dudes that cant shoot. They were still just as good as the 4-11 seeds, but we know what happened the last 2-3 weeks.

I think its possible that this season is not going to go exactly like last season

10 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. We are 5 years into Luka's tenure and we have yet to put a serious contending cast around him. Luka is absolutely not sticking around to watch the front office stumble over themselves like Dirk did.

This is pure doom fantasy, like everything else you post. Where is he going to go? Luka is not exactly buddy buddy with anyone else in the NBA except maybe Jokic, and I seriously doubt he's going to take tens of millions of dollars less to go play beta for his Euro buddy. If Luka ever leaves Dallas it will be because both sides agree that its time to move on.

1 hour ago, SilasCoade said:

Rich coming from someone who apparently thinks teams are lining up to throw draft picks at us for Tim Hardaway 

2 hours ago, cmontexas said:

This is pure doom fantasy, like everything else you post. Where is he going to go? Luka is not exactly buddy buddy with anyone else in the NBA except maybe Jokic, and I seriously doubt he's going to take tens of millions of dollars less to go play beta for his Euro buddy. If Luka ever leaves Dallas it will be because both sides agree that its time to move on.

Rich coming from someone who apparently thinks teams are lining up to throw draft picks at us for Tim Hardaway 

How can you say it’s pure doom fantasy? You are in denial.

11 minutes ago, kibbles said:

Our roster is much better this year.   D is horrible but we'll be in the hunt for 4 to 8th place in Western conference.    

I think a 6-8 spot is likely. If that's the case, it's probably a short playoff run and a disappointment for everyone involved and Luka's discontent meter is further filled.

6 hours ago, kibbles said:

Our roster is much better this year.   D is horrible but we'll be in the hunt for 4 to 8th place in Western conference.    

the D got me yelling at the TV for the first effing game.  seems like they went under EVERY screen and just hoped the guy missed a wide open uncontested 3.  

6 hours ago, BeardIP said:

I think a 6-8 spot is likely. If that's the case, it's probably a short playoff run and a disappointment for everyone involved and Luka's discontent meter is further filled.

I'd say 7-10 unless Irving and Williams really take a load off Luka.  meaning they are lights out on the offensive end.  If so maybe 6.  This team is just not good enough defensively.

19 hours ago, cmontexas said:

I'm not so sure.  at some point he's going to want to win a(some) championships.  he will have enough money.

50 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

He never should have been hired, but Cuban is going to Cuban.  I still have no idea how he got the Mavs to the Conference Finals in '21-'22.

IMO, Brunson and Dinwiddie made a big difference.   Maybe Irving and Williams can provide the same this year.  I'm not rooting against him.  I like Kidd, he's just a meh coach.  joke was too harsh.

19 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

IMO, Brunson and Dinwiddie made a big difference.   Maybe Irving and Williams can provide the same this year.  I'm not rooting against him.  I like Kidd, he's just a meh coach.  joke was too harsh.

I would rather Kidd prove me wrong than to watch the Mavs wallow in mediocrity, but I'm expecting the latter.  I think Kidd has high basketball IQ, but that's only one factor in being a good NBA Head Coach.  He's missing most of the others.    

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I would rather Kidd prove me wrong than to watch the Mavs wallow in mediocrity, but I'm expecting the latter.  I think Kidd has high basketball IQ, but that's only one factor in being a good NBA Head Coach.  He's missing most of the others.    

As a player, sure. Are we certain about this as a coach? Dude makes some puzzling lineup choices and he continues to do that this year. 

15 minutes ago, LurkingHorn said:

As a player, sure. Are we certain about this as a coach? Dude makes some puzzling lineup choices and he continues to do that this year. 

You are saying the same thing differently.  Knowing how to play the game =/= knowing how to coach other people to play the game =/= knowing how to get the most out of any given group of players.

• Hook 'Em 1