2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread - I'm watching, just like you guys

gsoda3

kidd likes the offensive spacing he gets with maxi esp down the stretch.  same reason lively wasn't getting burn at the end of games.  another issue is maxi's the only big who can guard the other team's bigs on the perimeter.  as poorly as we guard the 3 point line i think it's a valid point.  i don't know what the answer is though b/c when maxi's out there we're getting outrebounded every time.  

Why give up the 1st then? It’s like buying a new driver on a high interest credit card and keeping it in the bag to go with a 3 wood off the tee.

Lively and maxi were terrible tonight on both ends of the floor. Gafford was bad on defense despite his blocked shots but at least he contributed offensively. I can't believe how we couldn't grab defensive rebounds.

On 2/15/2024 at 5:22 AM, idigTexas said:

The 6-game streak is great, and unlike other stretches this year, it doesn't feel like it is all smoke and mirrors.  I would love to get to the 6 spot to miss out on the play-in shit.  Other than that, I'd like to avoid the Clippers and Nuggets in the first round.  

I was wrong...it was smoke and mirrors.  

• Hook 'Em 1

This team has taken on the demeanor of their coach. Hands in pockets, no emotion, and just out there going through the motions. I can't believe Kidd has lasted as long as he has here. 
Jason Kidd is nothing more than Jason Garrett.

1 hour ago, LurkingHorn said:

This team has taken on the demeanor of their coach. Hands in pockets, no emotion, and just out there going through the motions. I can't believe Kidd has lasted as long as he has here. 

my favorite part is he sits almost all of the game but then gets up in the 4th quarter to act like he is "coaching". The roster is an issue but Kidd is just not a good coach.

1 hour ago, idigTexas said:

I was wrong...it was smoke and mirrors.  

yep.  we got some new toys.  teams needed some time to figure it out.  Kidd is holding the team back but we all knew that would be the case.  Luka and Irving were supposed to overcome his coaching.  They play sloppy against teams with a pulse. hardaway is still on the team...so that tells you the roster situation.

Posted (edited)

I can’t be the only one who almost had a stroke watching THJ nearly pull the trigger after getting that rebound at half court. Great team win though and great to see Lively play well in this type of matchup vs very capable Denver bigs.  

Edited by ITHorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, ITHorn said:

I can’t be the only one who almost had a stroke watching THJ nearly pull the trigger after getting that rebound at half court. Great team win though and great to see Lively play well in this type of matchup vs very capable Denver bigs.  

Tim is such a hard watch. Him, PJ, and Maxi currently are brutal to watch on offense. PJ at least gets some boards, but goodness they're black holes

I understand in theory why Tim keeps getting minutes. But at a certain point I think Kidd has to come to terms with the fact that it’s no longer a cold streak from 3 and just who he is as a player at this point. 

I understand in theory why Tim keeps getting minutes. But at a certain point I think Kidd has to come to terms with the fact that it’s no longer a cold streak from 3 and just who he is as a player at this point. 
I disagree, Timmy's a lifetime 36% 3 point shooter over 11 seasons. This low 20% cold streak he's on will revert back to mean and it'll come in a string of ridiculous >40% games. In the meantime I think kidd's going to keep doing what he's done recently, giving him about 20 mins a game hoping he finds his rhythm. I wish Kidd would give Hardy Timmy's minutes though instead of exum. When exum plays too much he loses his efficiency and he starts to press.

14 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

I disagree, Timmy's a lifetime 36% 3 point shooter over 11 seasons. This low 20% cold streak he's on will revert back to mean and it'll come in a string of ridiculous >40% games. In the meantime I think kidd's going to keep doing what he's done recently, giving him about 20 mins a game hoping he finds his rhythm. I wish Kidd would give Hardy Timmy's minutes though instead of exum. When exum plays too much he loses his efficiency and he starts to press.

Agree here. Timmy will win us some games when he snaps out of this. But yea, the leash needs to be short until then. 

I'm trying to figure out this stat.  Luka and Kyrie played the same number of minutes but with a huge discrepancy in +/-.  Luka's stats are all decent.  Our defense when he was on the court without Kyrie must have been nonexistent.  

image.png.4b8efddfe47bb71afd5968d78a876ef4.png

Really big 2-game stretch here against the Kings. I think if the Mavs can split them, they're in a really good spot to pass the Kings in the last few weeks. Kings still have LAC, NYK, BOS, OKC, NO, and PHO left.

Meanwhile, the Mavs only have one team after this that's in a playoff spot (Heat are in a play-in seed right now) and that's OKC the last game of the season. 

9 hours ago, Firemans4Horn said:

The Mavs just absolutely assblasted the Kings tonight. Let’s run it back Friday night. 

Is 21/37 from 3 good?

They had been shooting like ~30% from 3 even during this win streak. If they can get that back to league average, watch out. 

I find these odds fascinating.

Clearly a lot is driven on star power and past history. But Suns, Lakers and Warriors entirely too high. At this point 4 seed is on the table and we should take it. 

Odds to Win NBA Championship, 2024

TEAM TITLE ODDS
Boston Celtics +225
Denver Nuggets +325
Los Angeles Clippers +550
Milwaukee Bucks +700
Oklahoma City Thunder  +1800
Phoenix Suns +2000
Dallas Mavericks +3000
Minnesota Timberwolves +3000
Golden State Warriors +3500
New York Knicks +3500
Miami Heat +3500
Los Angeles Lakers +3500
Cleveland Cavaliers  +4000
Philadelphia 76ers +4000
New Orleans Pelicans  +6600
Sacramento Kings +6600
Indiana Pacers +12500
Orlando Magic +25000
Houston Rockets +50000
Atlanta Hawks +100000
Chicago Bulls  +100000
Utah Jazz +100000
Brooklyn Nets  +100000
Toronto Raptors +100000

Maybe Kidd has figured something out.  we will see where they end up.  from 4 seed to 8 seed is possible, which is better than the normal 6-8.

nugget win was big and most of this 5 game streak has been done without Good THJ.