Lodging in Paris, and two night trip from Paris

Going to Paris for a few days in October. We've never been and want to stay in Le Marais for under about $200/night.  HomeAway/Airbnb or hotel?

On a related note, we are looking to go outside the city for two nights. Want to do something more relaxed, within a few hours train ride from Paris.  Options right now are Lyon, Bordeaux, and Annecy (leaning toward Annecy because of the views). Not sure how cold/rainy it will be in October.  Open to suggestions

I've been shown around Bordeaux and Lyon by friends/locals, and even then it wasnt that exciting.  A bit south of that, in Grenoble, was a really nice base to see and explore the Rhone-Alpes.  Great for hiking or just doing road trips.  

Around that price range i've never been satisfied with any hotel in Paris - or all of France, for that matter.  This is mostly between Grand Arche and Champs Elysee but also spread around the city on personal/leisure stays as well.  Generally very space constrained and very low for value.  

You might be able to find something on airbnb but again most people's privates residences are tiny in footprint so i wouldnt expect much

If you’ve never been, go to Normandy. Train will surely get you to Caen but probably have to figure out on your own how to get up to the beaches.

Personally, I’d recommend a small group tour as they will give you a lot more info than just going on your own or by train.

Pointe du Hoc and the American Cemetery will change your life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a number for the local driver we contracted with while there in 2016-pm me if interested as he is a wealth of information about Paris and the surrounding towns as well as the best driver in Paris traffic I have ever seen.

1 hour ago, McCroskey said:

If you’ve never been, go to Normandy. Train will surely get you to Caen but probably have to figure out on your own how to get up to the beaches.

Personally, I’d recommend a small group tour as they will give you a lot more info than just going on your own or by train.

Pointe du Hoc and the American Cemetery will change your life.

Lots of tour groups that will pick you up from a couple very walkable locations.   The Churchill hotel is ground zero for a few of the tour groups. a $5 cab ride from train. station top hotel.

If you can, stay a night on Mont St. Michel in one of the hotels.  Planning that trip as we speak for next year.

Under $200 in Paris is tough. AirBNB will give you the most bang for your buck. October isn’t the busy season so you’ll surely find a good deal. The last few times I’ve stayed by the Opera, which is a great base for exploring. (Albeit, I stayed at the Park Hyatt and Intercontinental Le Grand on Points) The Roissy Bus from CDG drops you off right next to the Opera as a bonus.

With regards to another city, that’s a judgment call. The south of France is beautiful but it’s pretty boring. Millau is a nice Medieval town. Bordeaux has the wineries, which may not be a bad idea for activities. Personally, I’d skip the train and rent a car. The purpose of traveling there is to enjoy the surroundings, which is not efficient on a train. Plus, you don’t have to deal with the hassles of train travel with switching routes or worrying about strikes. Driving over there is really easy once you get out of Paris proper. I wouldn’t even book accommodations and get a B&B in a place that seems the most compelling.

15 hours ago, Thetexashammer said:

Hotel Esmeralda. It's a dump but you can look out the window and see Notre Dame. Under 100 euro. Spend your cash on food not a hotel.

Exactly this. I rarely pay more than $100 for a hotel when in Europe. I'd rather spend it on food or sights/activities. Lot's of times i stay at Ibis hotels. Very simple but very clean business hotel. As long as it has hot water, decent bed with clean sheets, and is safe, I'm good. I guess if you have an unlimited budget go for the luxury.

17 hours ago, HenryJames said:

If you’ve never been, I would just stay in Paris the entire time.

Also, do yourself a favor and give yourself at least one day in Paris with no itinerary. Those were some of the best days I have ever spent.... just leisurely soaking things in and wandering wherever the city or a particular whim takes you. Start with a good cup of coffee and a chocolate éclair and go from there.

• Like 2

Thanks. Going to stay in Paris the whole time. Probably 4 nights. Deciding about Normandy - I really want to go but worry it will be freezing. Also husband says “too depressing” for an anniversary trip. We’ll see. 

Depressing isn’t at all how I would characterize Normandy, nor should anyone really IMHO. It’s a place you should walk away from feeling such gratitude and appreciation for what others have sacrificed for us so that we can do things like take anniversary trips to foreign countries.

Also, do yourself a favor and give yourself at least one day in Paris with no itinerary. Those were some of the best days I have ever spent.... just leisurely soaking things in and wandering wherever the city or a particular whim takes you. Start with a good cup of coffee and a chocolate éclair and go from there.

Definitely agree with this.

On 7/10/2018 at 2:33 PM, TornACL said:

Cannot recommend this enough

• 5 years later...

Bumping this thread as I am deciding to take the family (wife and son) to Paris for 6 days this Christmas.  I believe the weather could suck and be cold but not sure if walking around Paris at the end of December will be a miserable idea or not.  Could use some recs on where to stay, what to do, where to eat as for some reason Paris is one of the cities I have never been to.  We plan on landing in Paris on the Friday before Christmas and leaving on the Thursday after Christmas.  My son really wants to take the high-speed train to Brussels for a day trip but not sure if we will or not.  Also, want to do a day trip out to Versailles.  Eifel tower tours to the top are already booked so not sure if it's worth waiting in line the day of for that.  We also plan on doing the Louvre.  Looking at an Air BnB in the 2nd Arr (whatever that is) near Les Halles (whatever that is).  Anyone know if this area is a good place as a base for the first time in Paris?  Lastly, what to do Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.  Does Paris close down with nothing to do or restaurants to eat at?   What else am I missing or any other recs for stuff to not miss or places to eat would be much appreciated.  Need to have a nice vacation before coming back to watch the Horns beat the shit out of Washington in the Sugar Bowl. 

Grounds won't be as beautiful in winter, so I'd skip Versailles. Also, skip Brussels.  You have under a week I'm Paris.  Stay in Paris.

I like the area around Palais Royal, so that is also a very central place to stay.  The Marais and the Haut Marais are also good.  The second is central, and if you can get a place near Pantagruel on Rue du Sentier, do it.  

What kinds of restaurants etc..are you looking at?  I.e. prix fix, michelin stars, casual bistros, etc...

• Hook 'Em 2

18 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Grounds won't be as beautiful in winter, so I'd skip Versailles. Also, skip Brussels.  You have under a week I'm Paris.  Stay in Paris.

I like the area around Palais Royal, so that is also a very central place to stay.  The Marais and the Haut Marais are also good.  The second is central, and if you can get a place near Pantagruel on Rue du Sentier, do it.  

What kinds of restaurants etc..are you looking at?  I.e. prix fix, michelin stars, casual bistros, etc...

Your advice is too late.  Wife already booked Versailles and a trip to Brussels since my kid really wants to go.  For restaurants something cheaper as my family doesn’t need to eat fancy.  Trying to find something open on Christmas Day and Christmas Eve.

1 hour ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Your advice is too late.  Wife already booked Versailles and a trip to Brussels since my kid really wants to go.  For restaurants something cheaper as my family doesn’t need to eat fancy.  Trying to find something open on Christmas Day and Christmas Eve.

There's an app called The Fork that's legit and worth a shot. YMMV. Or Open Table.

Edited by Chopper

11 hours ago, Chopper said:

There's an app called The Fork that's legit and worth a shot. YMMV. Or Open Table.

I am very Meh on the Fork.  

12 hours ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

That is unfortuante.  That is a waste of two days.  I will send you guys some places.

• Hook 'Em 1

Buy a metro pass for the week. Spend a couple of weeks looking over the map and figuring out the stop closest to your hotel and how to get around. It's much faster than walking everywhere and easier to move around than in a vehicle.

Also, don't be afraid to at least attempt to speak French. After a couple of attempts, they'll forgive you for butchering it and let you order or ask in English. You just gotta try French first and be apologetic. 

I was engaged in Paris in the late '90s and our hotel clerk made reservations earlier for us at The Jules Verne instead of the other "less fancy" place in the Eiffel Tower. We showed up dressed like we were going to the less fancy place and after we explained and a few minutes of talking amongst themselves, the staff took me and put me in a black tie and coat. They gave my wife this wrap for her shoulders and then stuck us in a corner all by ourselves overlooking the Seine. Our waiter had just left the French Foreign Legion after having served at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio for the previous few years.

I'm still paying down the tab 😀

I agree on Versaille, with the caveat that at least the inside is amazing.

The Hall of Mirrors at Versailles is great, and the interiors are stunning.  I went in 2017 when I spent 10 days in Paris, and I still felt the trip was too short.  

On restaurants, here are some of my recommendations, which include a fancy spot or two if you can get a reservations.

MoSuke (https://mosuke-restaurant.com/en/home/)- This is my favorite restaurant from my last trip in 2022, and it has been one of the hottest reservations.  The food is incredibly well done.  I actually finally got back to writing up my trip (I know 1.5 years after the fact), so will have that posted soon and will link it here.  The Chef, Mory Sacko, has another restaurant in Paris now too, Lafayette's.  https://www.lafayettes-restaurant.com/.  As an aside, I liked MoSuke so much it is on my list of places in Paris to revisit next time I go. 

Montee (https://restaurant-montee.fr/en/) - One of my favorite restaurants in Paris, the lunch menu is an especially good deal.  (https://www.mlleshetravels.com/home/tags/restaurant-review)

Ok, so those are the prix fix places.

Josephine Chez Dumonet for French Classics.  The boeuf bourguignon is outstanding (Eater says best in the city, and it is very, very tasty) as is the pigeon millfeuille.  Also, Grand Marnier souffle is a must.  Here are photos.

i-TbDwChv-X2.jpg

i-WDSk9pW-X2.jpg

i-HGVK47B-X2.jpg

i-DcrXfgq.jpg

i-6VNTk5g-X2.jpg

Les Parisiens is on my to go to list, so I wanted to include it here.  Folks that have been have raved about it. https://en.pavillon-faubourg-saint-germain.com/restaurant-les-parisiens

Chez L'Ami Jean - Everything is outstanding.  The rice pudding is to die for.

i-sxVzTWH-X2.jpg

i-FKH7bXp-X2.jpg

i-Xhs2v6b-X2.jpg

Le Chardenoux - Beautiful little place by Cyril Lignac.  I went on my last trip.  The photos are here... (https://www.mlleshetravels.com/single-post/2022-paris-trip-a-real-and-surreal-journey-on-day-2-in-paris)

Bistrot Paul Bert - Steak Frites.  Do it.  

i-V2njp3f-X2.jpg

Le Servan - Absolutely excellent restaurant by two sisters in the 11th.  French with influences from China.  

La Tour Montlhery - Chez Denise - The cote de beouf and the lapin a la moutarde are all great, as are the escargot.  Oh, and chocolate mousse.

i-GJ4dPFD-X2.jpg

i-x6HTpGL-X2.jpg

i-NTKdq9n-X2.jpg

Le Dauphin (same chef as Le Chateaubriand) is a great wine bar with smaller plates next door to Le Chateaubriand.  Have had a lot of amazing food there (and I believe posted about it on the old site).  Also all the Avant Comptoirs are really good. Same concept, small plates, great wine, next to Le Comptoir.  

I have a number of places on my to go to list for next time as well, besides Les Parisiens, so I will pass those to you:

Petrelle, Parcelles, Les Arlots, Papillon, Le Truffaut, Coretta, Granite, Frenchie, Juveniles

34 minutes ago, next2naus said:

I enjoyed this place the last time I was in Paris: https://www.peninsula.com/en/paris/5-star-luxury-hotel-16th-arrondissement. Wife talked me into the Superior Suite, while pricey...it was real nice. 

Peninsula is nice.  I usually stay at Le Roch, which I adore.  

https://www.leroch-hotel.com/