2024 ACL Festival

texasdago

I know I will go regardless of the lineup that gets released because I'm sure I'll like 1) some headlines 2) some of the lesser known bands and 3) will discover new bands I will like as some of my most memorable ACL moments were with newer bands (to me) that I have enjoyed ever since.

Pre-sale started today.  $320 for the three-day pass.  You can layaway which is what I do since they split the payment out over four payments with a service fee of $20 which to me is a no-brainer.  Pay it out over time.  Wait for the lineup.  Enjoy.

Team W1 every time!

SocialShare.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

Will be the first time in several years that I'm not pre-buying.  For my musical taste, the lineup is rarely ever worth a 3 day wristband.  I usually like one headliner and maybe 2-3 other bands.  I'll wait for the lineup and maybe buy a one day wristband off a scalper.  Plus, my company no longer sponsors a stage, so losing backstage access for drinks and restrooms is brutal.  I've got to stand in line and pay for drinks like a commoner?  Pass.

On 12/7/2023 at 8:09 PM, YGIFS said:

Do we know for sure yet which weekend will be OU yet?  

On 12/7/2023 at 8:23 PM, Chad Fuck said:

We don’t. I checked before buying and it’s still tbd.

I think it likely OU is Weekend 2.  First SEC year is a bit of a wild card, but an October 5 OU game would be the second earliest date ever, with only October 2, 2010 coming earlier (according to wikipedia).

Edited by Tonesky

• 4 months later...
11 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

My wife’s guess is Post Malone. He’s really gotten huge and is touring at that time I think. 

That's a good guess.  He is doing more and more with C3 Presents.  They kinda 'owe' him one because he asked them to produce a festival centered around him somewhere out West (IIRC), and he was so ridiculous to work with (and mind you, they work high crazy artists every day as a business), that they bailed out and gave him all his money back.  So he of course got pissy about it, and as an olive branch...they said they'd make him a higher priority client going forward but no "Post Malone Batshit Insane Festival!"  /csb

My buddy there promises that he will not rest until they get Dolly Parton.  I admire his spirit.  He used to leak me most of the lineup when he worked on the music side, but now they're busy with the NFL Draft and Formula1 and other corporate activation 'n shit.  You know, the music business?  But 2-3 years ago, he rattled off some names to me and I didn't know any of them.  And he basically said, "Yeah, I don't even bother asking anymore.  The bookers are all giddy about this band and that band and I don't give a shit anymore."  And I was so relieved to know that even people in the business are as cranky and in the dark on most of the bands nowadays.  It's still fun as hell, and the best days are the ones where you discover a new band you didn't know and fall in love with their music.  But those rare gem discoveries get more and more scarce as time passes us by. /csb

Now then, where's my gramophone player?  

• Hook 'Em 1

At this point I'm wondering if the dominant female revealing attire will be sideboob, underbutt, or something novel.

So on point. People bitch about the bands, but to stand in a field with friends, beer in hand, and watch the girls walking by dressed up for each other - all set to a soundtrack of whichever stage you’re choosing - may be the closest thing to bliss on this planet. I wish I had been taking better fashion notes since the beginning. But it is probably my second favorite part of ACL.

giphy.gif
  • Hook 'Em 3

4 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

So on point. People bitch about the bands, but to stand in a field with friends, beer in hand, and watch the girls walking by dressed up for each other - all set to a soundtrack of whichever stage you’re choosing - may be the closest thing to bliss on this planet. I wish I had been taking better fashion notes since the beginning. But it is probably my second favorite part of ACL.

Very true.  ACL has the ability to make me feel young in the soul and old as fuck in the body at the same time.

• Like 2

I much prefer underbutt to sideboob.  but perhaps underboob will make a surprise debut this season.  I'm down to clown in undertown.  

To South Austin's point, it is weird at our age to go down there and feel so energized and pumped by the music.  I pretty much stand the whole time (albeit very far back in the crowd) and kind of wander between sets and it feels great.  Then I bike home and my back hurts for a week.  I think 2021 or 22 was the last time I did all three days.  Been just two days since then.  I think this'll be the last year I even do that.  Next year, girls will be old enough to bike down there with me so we'll just pick Saturday or Sunday and do that and head home before dark.  Other than the dust bowl year, I've loved every day of it.  Discovered so many new bands I still follow, saw so many legends-many of whom are sadly gone now.  Saw so much hot ass, abused way too many substances with way too many weird musicians.  

If it wasn't so close to our home, I wouldn't bother dragging my old ass down there.  But I still gotta push thru because one day I'll be the guy driving my teenagers down there so they can see some band that hasn't even been born yet and point to a cloud and say, "You know...I walked down here 35 years ago to see Los Lobos when this festival wasn't on anybody's radar.  Now you get to pay to go watch a guy with a smartwatch play music for money.  Be safe out there girls, I'll pick you up after my podiatry appointment."  

• Like 1

I think it was 2018.  I was down there by myself.  Probably 41 or so at the time, could still rock it.  But sat down way back from the Honda stage at dusk before heading over to watch McCartney close out the night.  And "festival girl" and her friends roll up in front of me.  And she was wearing a skimpy thong but a some kinda knitted fishnet dress over it (not sure the terminology of textiles).  So I'm facing west looking at the Honda stage or maybe the big one next to it.  And you know how with the right thigh gap, with the right underwear, they have that little dip of mystery, and between her 'cootch' (to use the above post's terminology).  And the sun was perfectly setting between all of that and it look like a heart shaped emoji.  It was like I saw right into the core of the galaxy.  And I once canoed for 3 days in Northern Canada to see the Aurora Borealis on LSD.  I think there was live music at both, but I can't be sure.  

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

I think it was 2018.  I was down there by myself.  Probably 41 or so at the time, could still rock it.  But sat down way back from the Honda stage at dusk before heading over to watch McCartney close out the night.  And "festival girl" and her friends roll up in front of me.  And she was wearing a skimpy thong but a some kinda knitted fishnet dress over it (not sure the terminology of textiles).  So I'm facing west looking at the Honda stage or maybe the big one next to it.  And you know how with the right thigh gap, with the right underwear, they have that little dip of mystery, and between her 'cootch' (to use the above post's terminology).  And the sun was perfectly setting between all of that and it look like a heart shaped emoji.  It was like I saw right into the core of the galaxy.  And I once canoed for 3 days in Northern Canada to see the Aurora Borealis on LSD.  I think there was live music at both, but I can't be sure.  

image.png.e29c212d6dffe68f23fbd3af811c6fb5.png

• Hook 'Em 1