Laundry room smells like gas

52-80

My folks laundry rooms often smells strongly of what seems to me like a mixture of natural gas, durian, and that lingering musty laundry smells. 

How do I check for what it is? Is there some sort of organic gas sensor detector thing to buy?

They dont keep anything unusual in that room - only detergents and laundry shit. They dont let clothes sit around. The smell doesnt exist in garage or adjacent room. 

Do they have a gas dryer? Check the pilot light, gas line and all fittings. You can get a detector or use soapy water. Also check the lint filter. It could be clogged and not moving the amount of air it should. Same with the exhaust vent.

Edited by RPM
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/28/2023 at 8:18 AM, RPM said:

Do they have a gas dryer? Check the pilot light, gas line and all fittings. You can get a detector or use soapy water. Also check the lint filter. It could be clogged and not moving the amount of air it should. Same with the exhaust vent.

Gas line doesnt seem to bubble but I did a shoddy job of checking. Kinda weird they hooked up with this stiff accordian tubing thing instead of rubber but whatever. 

Overhead exhaust fan pulls air fine (paper test). 

Theres no visible floor drain.