Latest trip back to Alaska

JGrayDBU

Leaving January 1. slightly different atmosphere, with airfares increased recently.  I bought plane tickets for the entire academic year in June, so I beat most of the increases.   1/2 apple pie as carryon this time, and will break down and finally purchase a meal on the plane.  charcuterie plate.  

Plan to bring about 30-40 pounds of frozen food, mostly Texas beef and chicken.  I am just about done with the Arctic Circle.  I finally got lucky and will get to attend a conference in Anchorage in February.  

First three years in rural Alaska, I paid off a number of bills, and only saved the annual IRA deduction, while completing two master's degrees,  but since moving to the Arctic, I have put the pedal to the metal, not coincidentally working these three years without the big spending wife.   

Am on pace to double my net worth in late April 2024 from the time I arrived in the Arctic in July 2021.  

Personal record low temp. experienced walking to school is -40 degrees. Two Decembers in a row I have walked to the airport.  This year the temp was -10. 

I am still learning new things about Alaska Airlines/travel stuff.  This time I found out I could use miles to purchase a motel night, so I got a good Residence Inn motel in SA with a full-size fridge and freezer on top, for 12/31, with late checkout.  That helps with the frozen food storage.  

Price difference between Texas and Selawik for groceries is obscene, hasn't changed.  Selection of groceries in Selawik is now worse than 2021. 

Frozen food gets to go outside in Anchorage for the natural freezer before flight from Anchorage to Kotzebue.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Leaving January 1. slightly different atmosphere, with airfares increased recently.  I bought plane tickets for the entire academic year in June, so I beat most of the increases.   1/2 apple pie as carryon this time, and will break down and finally purchase a meal on the plane.  charcuterie plate.  
Plan to bring about 30-40 pounds of frozen food, mostly Texas beef and chicken.  I am just about done with the Arctic Circle.  I finally got lucky and will get to attend a conference in Anchorage in February.  
First three years in rural Alaska, I paid off a number of bills, and only saved the annual IRA deduction, while completing two master's degrees,  but since moving to the Arctic, I have put the pedal to the metal, not coincidentally working these three years without the big spending wife.   
Am on pace to double my net worth in late April 2024 from the time I arrived in the Arctic in July 2021.  
Personal record low temp. experienced walking to school is -40 degrees. Two Decembers in a row I have walked to the airport.  This year the temp was -10. 
I am still learning new things about Alaska Airlines/travel stuff.  This time I found out I could use miles to purchase a motel night, so I got a good Residence Inn motel in SA with a full-size fridge and freezer on top, for 12/31, with late checkout.  That helps with the frozen food storage.  
Price difference between Texas and Selawik for groceries is obscene, hasn't changed.  Selection of groceries in Selawik is now worse than 2021. 
Frozen food gets to go outside in Anchorage for the natural freezer before flight from Anchorage to Kotzebue.  

-40 is a whole new level of cold, isn't it?

6 hours ago, Macanudo said:

What the fuck is there to do in Selawik?   

After the school day ends, not much.  I coached cross-country running this fall, so I could get a little change in scenery.  We traveled to Kotzebue, Buckland, and Kiana.  Kiana is beautiful, and Buckland has a small beach.  I go to the baptist church every Wednesday night, because of the homemade soup and singing.  I have had to sing solo a couple of times when people didn't know some songs we sing at the church of Christ. 

I like to help fellow teachers bring their groceries back from the store.  I am a pretty good pack mule...so good that one of the teachers introduced me as his pack mule to the secretary.  My goal for the spring is to convince the young teacher to let me help her bring home groceries.  I don't think she believes how good I am. 

The difference in southwest Alaska and northwest Alaska is interesting.  Southwest Alaska - Manokotak- has small smokehouses

-maqii, that northwest Alaska does not have.  That is the Yupik tribe. Northwest Alaska is Inupuit.(sp)

I went ice fishing once in Selawik, March 2022 with a fellow teacher.  The temp was a toasty 25 degrees, so we were out there for several hours without getting cold.  

In Selawik, you cannot even get a change of scenery by walking, because the "roads" are boardwalks, and pedestrians have to yield to the kids driving four-wheelers or snow machines.   Sometimes you just hope you haven't been too mean to the kids that day because they can run you off the boardwalk if they want.  

I found myself applying for anything to get a break from the same old thing.  I might be an expert at one thing listed above and am definitely an expert at  snow-shoveling.  I am also an expert at applying to do things that would take me out of Selawik.  I am getting out of Selawik for a conference in February,-Saturday through Thursday - and in April coming to Texas for a very long time for a bunch of dr. appointments.  That was fun, when I discovered I could do that last year.  I looked at my pay stub in August of last year and realized I would never come close to using the sick leave days, so I took a week in April for dr. visits, instead of using the summer. 

My district allows us to use sick leave to travel, so the 2 days coming and going all count as sick leave days.  I am taking 9 days off in April, and coincidentally, the day before my first day off is a Monday-staff development day.   it doesn't get much better than that. 

The countdown is about to begin. My flight from the Arctic for the last time is May 25.  If boredom is your thing, Selawik is pretty much king, imo. 

• Hook 'Em 2

San Antonio version of Alaska Airlines sucks....the lady at the ticket counter refused to print boarding passes. I gave her a mean stare, no help.  She also did not know how to do the thing where you pull your luggage before your last destination because you have an 8+ hour layover, had to ask for my ID twice.  just absolutely clueless. 

She claimed she would send boarding passes to my phone, and two of the three did arrive, but once they arrived, and one was put into a google something or other I could not find it.  I had to ask the agent at the gate to help and she couldn't help, so SHE offered to print the boarding passes.  YES!!!  Boarding passes were from SAT to SEATAC, SEATAC to ANC, and ANC to OTZ.

I wasn't putting up with that stuff, so I called Alaska Customer care and they claim they are giving me a $75 voucher for the trouble.  The agent on the phone zeroed in on the refusal to print a boarding pass...couldn't believe it.  I told him they need some training and he agreed. 

Btw, if you are not given a paper version of your boarding pass, where do your bag tags go?  I found a piece of paper in my wallet and put them there yesterday, but doesn't seem like a long-term solution.  

to finish the latest travel saga, I got stuck in kotzebue, overnight.  Little planes wouldn't fly in 33 mph winds.  I was ready!  My last day in San Antonio I cooked 3 pounds of cheeseburgers, for my wife and her family which is her dad and two sisters.  I took with me in my backpack on the plane the following:

six cheeseburgers- about 1/3 pound each or so

one peanut butter and jelly sandwich, 

some potato chips, and the best, 

3/4 of a homemade apple pie, made by my 83 year old mother.  She's a retired teacher and said she cooked five pies one day before Christmas.  Since I am a Christmas birthday, I get a whole apple pie every year on my birthday. 

I spent exactly $0.00 on meals in Kotzebue.  I did have to spend $95 to stay at the Alaska Technical Center, and $14 for two cab rides. 

I made it to Selawik yesterday about 11:30 a.m. and still had a couple of cheeseburgers left, and the chips.  

On 1/3/2024 at 9:29 AM, SydneyCarton said:

What to reset for us how old you are, and the motivating factors for why you took this path? You've gotten two more degrees, what are the plans for when your time in Alaska is done?

Thanks. 

Just turned 59 years old, needed a change of scenery in 2018, because I worked one year in Garland ISD for the wicked witch of the east.  Both adult children were gone, so no need to stay in Texas.  Sold the house, spent 3 years in southwest Alaska with my wife, and enjoyed the time, but the wife and I differed on spending.  My goal was to save for retirement.  The turning point came when she read my mind one night and told me "okay, you can go up north and make the big bucks, but I reserve the right to go live with my sister in the FW area."

I arrived in July 2021 to Selawik and got lucky with the COVID $ flowing.  Rent is low here.  My net worth is on pace to double from July 2021 to when I get the biggest income tax refund ever this spring, because of a school district error.  Five figure refund and I will hit the mark.  I achieved vesting in Alaska retirement spring 2023.  The retirement in Alaska is just an account, so there is a very, very high % of people who work five years and then they move on.  I worked an extra year to give the govt a chance to pass a pension plan, but they declined.  

This is year six in Alaska, and I am ready to come home.   My high five average salary in Texas for retirement is not nearly high enough, so I need to work 2 years in Texas schools to bump up the avg. salary.  This is perfect timing to come home also because my Texas teaching cert. expires in December 2025.  

I have done the research about buying years of service as well, and the rules are very clear.  I must get completely out of the Alaska retirement system, send the money to an IRA and then I can start the process of purchasing years of service after my first semester in Texas, using qualified money is preferred.  I am fairly regular caller to both systems, ERS and TRS, because I have time in both systems.  Because I worked six years in an ERS covered state agency, I can choose which system to retire from.  ERS is the clear winner, with the 100% health insurance premium paid for me for life and the wife having to pay 50% of her premium.  

My grocery shopping has turned into a really good hobby that helps save money as well.  I do it differently form just about anybody else up here.  I also have other quirky habits like drinking the water, etc.  I have an iron stomach.  

In June of 23, I paid for tickets for the entire academic year on Alaska Airlines.  There are a lot of strange skills I have developed that may or may not help in trying to reign in the wife during my first retirement.  I plan to retire in two years from Texas and then go right back to work doing something other than education.  After I purchase the six years from Alaska and work two years in Texas I will have 31 years in the retirement system, and that is enough to want to start the Texas pension.  

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, immamac said:

Subscribed to your newsletter. What’s the internet situation up there? 

Star link in apartments, and if you want to stay at school after school, you have free internet.  The local internet company is finishing their run of COVID money in March I think.  

There are about 18 total teachers.  We are a very large site.  Our first native Alaskan teacher was supposed to start fall 23, but being native Alaskan with an education degree, she got a six figure job in Anchorage with an organization, ANSEP.  No brainer.   Everybody is from somewhere else, mostly Arkansas, a Louisiana lady, Ohio man, etc.  

Age ranges from mid 20s to 72.  We had three over 70s my first year in Selawik.   I couldn't believe it.  We are down to one this year. 

On 12/28/2023 at 10:58 PM, Chewbacca said:
On 12/28/2023 at 10:31 PM, JGrayDBU said:

-40 is a whole new level of cold, isn't it?

I got used to it because I had the first three years in southwest Alaska, where the normal low was more like 0.  For -40 I wore long underwear, jeans and snow pants.  Above the waist I wore three or four shirts, a hoodie, and a heavy coat, and gloves. For the headgear I wore a funny looking thing that allows the wind to only get to your eyes.  It takes a few extra minutes to get ready to go outside for -40.  

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, royiv said:

What do you do to keep yourself occupied outside of work?

Have you thought about bootlegging booze to make some extra cash to supplement your retirement goals? (Kidding, sort of)

re: bootlegging, when I arrived in Selawik there was a teacher who was rumored to do that.  He was gone by October.  Our former principal's husband was strongly rumored to be bootlegging during 22-23, and there was an incident that resulted in a death of a local man.  That husband was charged and is in prison now, and the district got that principal out of here so fast it would make your head spin.  She was not allowed time to pack.   She was gone from the state of Alaska within about 48 hours of the death.  

My first year in Selawik I went ice-fishing one time with another teacher.  We took an auger, drilled a hole in the ice, etc.  We met a local man at the area and he asked me if I was attending the party that night. He said it was only $300 per bottle.  I quickly said no thanks.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 1/3/2024 at 10:07 AM, HenryJames said:

Reading this thread is worse than living in Alaska.

Just reminds me why I haven't been back since the threat of a general court-martial was no longer a motivating factor.